myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Winter Footstraps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obxaddict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Best Winter Footstraps? Reply with quote

Greetings all. In another post a few people mentioned really liking the oneill 7mm round toes. What are the best foot straps to use with winter booties? In my experience the booties can be a bit sticky in and out of the straps. thanks.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: big straps Reply with quote

Very Happy got size 12 7mm oneil booties use chinook straps on all my boards. open up real big but close up nice for barefoot in warm water. Very Happy
Frank4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size 11 oneill rt 7mm W/ Dakine supremo works well. Some boards have very narrow spacing on the holes and can be difficult with thick boots.
obxaddict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some different straps on the boards in my quiver. I'll play around with them and report. thanks.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick booties actually suck in and out of the straps. I just tried the Supremo with thin boots (10.5 U.S.) and they work. However, those style straps can be a real bitch to close the covers when at full size. My '06 Naish straps have been the best. In the last month I bought some N.P. adjustable straps and they seem rather good. However, you can't use them for a single back strap that takes booties from both directions.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Thick booties actually suck in and out of the straps. I just tried the Supremo with thin boots (10.5 U.S.) and they work. However, those style straps can be a real bitch to close the covers when at full size. My '06 Naish straps have been the best. In the last month I bought some N.P. adjustable straps and they seem rather good. However, you can't use them for a single back strap that takes booties from both directions.

"However, those style straps can be a real bitch to close the covers when at full size."

Maybe that's because you can't bend over? Wink
obxaddict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exocet straps that came on my formula board are great for summer but won't hold their form when I open them for my 3mm booties.

I had some older dakine cour contour straps on my 85L stick that I had trouble getting small enough for my foot without boots. New years day was formula conditions so I put the contours in the back positions on the formula board. I was really pleased with the results.
Hurl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Foot straps Reply with quote

Most straps work for 5&7 mm boots. You just have to widen strap to the next screw hole to accomadate the width. I've found that 5mm are all you need and you can still feel the board. I have 7mm Oneil roundtoe as well, very warm but feel sloppy. I'm talking 32degrees air and 42 degrees water temps. Just sailed in 30 knot's & 33 air temps yesterday. When it's this cold, salt water start's slushing up and boom get icy and hard to grip. The real question is what kind of gloves to wear? The dakine mitts have good feel but still get cold in 32 degrees. Getting ready to try 5mm gloves, I know the palm thickness fatigues forearms fast , but the pain of cold overwhelms. Advice from the Lower Chesapeake, Sail On! Idea We need some HEATED BOOMS ! VA-13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: