myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board size
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkl1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Board size Reply with quote

what size boards should i look at for an 8yr old 60 pound boy? we are beginers. I was thinking a bic 120 any input thanks by the way i need two of this size i have twins we are dien to get started thanks
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Kona Surfs for the twins, and a Kona One for you. Check on website:

http://www.kona-windsurfing.com/products/konasurf.asp

http://www.kona-windsurfing.com/products/konaone.asp

Life long applications for these boards. You'll get tons of use out of all.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware the shills pushing their expensive, new product here. All you need is a large board (160 liters would be o.k. for the child, but for you a bigger board would be necessary.)
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers may be required, or at least center fins for learning. Tinho's summer camp kids would argue as to who would get to use the Kona Ones first, when he had them. Must have been some reason for that? Why not get some life long useful boards? Why am I automatically a shill? Got better LT solutions? I don't make a dime off of Kona sales, happen to be a big fan of them though. Tried one?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Board size Reply with quote

jkl1 wrote:
what size boards should i look at for an 8yr old 60 pound boy? we are beginers. I was thinking a bic 120 any input thanks by the way i need two of this size i have twins we are dien to get started thanks

You may also wish to consider the Bic 293 One Design. It's specifically designed for kids. Considered part of the hybrid-types of boards, the 293OD is unlike most hybrids designed for adults. It is lighter and kids find it far easier to learn on and sail upon than many other types of boards. Moreover, the Bic 293 is the fleet of choice for many clubs and schools and offers racing opportunities across the country and the world through US Windsurfing, Team USA and US Sailing.

The Kona One also is a terrific platform. I personally love it! I'm not convinced that it a better board than the 293 for kids -especially the smaller kids- due to the Kona One's length and weight, but it shouldn't pose much of a problem since your 8 year-olds will not be dragging their gear to the water without assistance. Like the 293, the Kona offers group sailing and racing opportunities.

I think the best decision will consider your location and which of the two boards may be popular nearby or within a decent driving distance.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan brings up some good points. The Kona Surf would be similar to the Bic in performance fore the beginner app's. Again, this may be a life long sport, so the Konas end up being more useful once past the beginner stage. The Konas have use in my world, and I've been windsurfing since 1982. I mainly sail waves now, so for me the Kona 11'5 is my work horse.
Aranel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for the Kona. Here's why, and I'm saying this from only limited experience with the 293:

The Kona has a full EVA deck, which is nice for just mucking around with. It can be an SUP board or a great platform to just play on in the water. I've SUPed an adult and a kid on it simultaneously, and I'll bet you could fit three eight year-olds on it. The 293, at least the model I had, had the non-skid, sandpaper surface over much of the surface, which limits some of the fun factor.

The Kona One isn't an awesome wave board, but considering the width of the 293 it is at least "better" in those conditions.

That said, any larger board with a daggerboard would be fine. This conversation is really about what's the most ideal, not about what will work. A wideboard has a lot of advantages too, especially in the stability department. There are some very good deals to be had with beginner-level wideboards and a full rig. The Exocet Cruiser can be had cheaply, and it has that wheel at the back which will enable a smallish person to shlep it back and forth. I bought a 150 for myself but also with my son in mind.

-Ian

www.hudsonwindsurfer.blogspot.com
mattb777

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Kona One for a couple of years and in the last year it has remained in my shed because of its size and weight. Its a great board when in the water (fantastic for learning) but if you want three boards you will be hauling some serious weight and size with three Konas!
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 110-140 liter ot bigger boards would be fine as volume goes. The only problem with the Bic 120 is lack of centerboard/fin. They are going to need that centerboard/fin to go or stay upwind especially with the small sails they will need when starting out. When selecting volume just remember that they won’t stay at 80 lbs very long.

Full EVA deck is not as much an issue with kids because they have far better balance then adults. Kids tend to drop their sails rather then fall down so a nice light sail is more important.

An interesting point that John made about the Kona and Tinho’s school. At my school we teach around 1500 kids during the course of the summer and kids choose boards based on the “look." Kon’s look much cooler then Techno’s.

Coachg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids were past the stage of merely going by looks, it was performance they were seeking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: