myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cape Ice report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Info2003! Very Happy
Keep it simple.
You don't have to make all this fancy stuff to even be competitive!

I would suggest making a wide rear truck that bolts on a standard skateboard truck (which is what I have)

Just use a stiff wood board, like ash or oak, then mount 2 angle iron blade faces (1"x1"x 6-8" long) Make sure you get them parallel.

The main reason for the wide truck is stabilty, but you also get very good lateral resistance and less spin-out.

Footstraps are unthinkable for safety reasons, but put some serious foot cleats that work to grip with lug soles of a hiking type shoe.

Jeff
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Cape Melt Out! Reply with quote

BTW, I like keeping this thread going for news about iceboard sailing, ect.
But the headline topic is the Cape Ice Report.
So, I need to report......WE ARE OFFICIALLY MELTED OUT!

Lake Wequaquet went to liquid this past week, hard to believe...

We are migrating north to Norton Reservior this weekend for blowout GPS speed sessions!
WX forecast for Friday is 25-40~! Shocked ..its possible...for the brave, or crazy like myself Cool
windydoug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding on to Iceratz post, I have found his wide truck reasoning to be right on. I am blown away by how much lateral force I can put on the blades and they don't spin out.

I don't have anything besides door mat type carpet, but I have seen hex head screws (used for sheet metal construction) spread out in a grid pattern.

In our local discussion (Rochester, NY) about construction we have debated whether it is better to install a stiffening stringer/spine down the length of the board or not. Some around here like the softer flex of the board under body weight, and some don't. I used a 2" wide piece of oak as a stringer. The feel of the board under foot is solid and responsive, but not brutal and chattery.

I built the sharpening jig that is in the previous plans and my blades are consistent and sharp. I did a lot of the initial griding with a side wheal grinder and when things got close I used the jig and file to get everything uniform.
When conditions are right, this take on windsurfing is great. On ice I can duck jibe, monkey jibe, sail back winded, sail around 360....great way to learn and practice.
Windydoug
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The plans I followed for my board are here:
http://www.amcboston.org/windsurf/iceboardinfo/

I just glanced over the instructions above and saw something familiar...
The last YouTube link is my 22 year old set-up being sailed on a small lake in Rochester, MA. (still in my basement)
It was filmed with my Helmet-Cam on Superbowl Sunday.
I'd give ANYTHING for those conditions tomorrow.

Here is what we have now in Norton, MA
Deano Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

Norton res small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  769.2 KB
 Viewed:  11319 Time(s)

Norton res small.jpg

iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windydoug wrote:

In our local discussion (Rochester, NY) about construction we have debated whether it is better to install a stiffening stringer/spine down the length of the board or not. (snip)
Windydoug

Now we are talking about a high-technical animal! Time to disclose the proven truth! Cool

Iceboats work with a rear runner plank that is built with some flex so as to allow for a smooth ride. Think of it like a leafspring on your car.

The plank is constructed with several layers of wood and are glued with camber. When static, the plank "bows" up. When sailing under load, it flattens and then works to absorb the shocks of bumps in ice.
The result is a very smooth ride and also helps to keep the runner in contact with the ice to prevent skidding.

My custom Iceboard is built like this with a stringer glued to the underside of the deck ply. When static the board is bowed up (about 1.5").
When sailing, under load with my weight, it flexes flat, but with lots of spring memory reflex.
Anyone who sails my board imediatley notices how smooth the ride is.

Flex is fast for iceboards! ( & iceboats)
But NOT flex that bends too "negative" as this nuls the "springback" effect required.

So, if you start with a stringer that is flat, then you don't have the spring characterisitc I am describing here.

An Iceboard can be built with all ply laminates to achieve the same flex with no stringer, but it is far more complicated construction, considering the clamping methods required. I know of several premium boards built like this.

It's much easier to build with a stringer.
My board layup is built: (Top down) with 3/8" marine grade ply deck, 2 layers 6oz. glass, 2" carbon strip, 3/4" x 3.5" ash stringer, 6.0 oz glass & more carbon, several directions for twist stiffness.
Prebent layup with 2+" camber (jigged to hold this flex).
Cured & completed bend = 1.5" (static)

YouTube Link again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcvQKCxLrXk

The Euro's Hiberna boards have not got this figured out yet.... Rolling Eyes
REDBULL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: ice is nice Reply with quote

Hey guys, i think all of your ideas are great and really helping to take the sport to a higher level. I think this area is leading the sport in a positive direction. Your all showing everyone how its done. Good trucks are definetly a key link to control and stability. Good Sailing. Be Safe

ice2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.78 KB
 Viewed:  9546 Time(s)

ice2.jpg

ice1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.07 KB
 Viewed:  9546 Time(s)

ice1.jpg

outcast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkis thread has been great....thanks all

so here's where i am at...

Pretty good blades...12" length rockered....need to make a jig to hone

Front truck 9 width

Plan the rear to like 18" once i figure the crossarm out

I think they make harder rubber for the truck washers....they're tight, but maybe too springy

board blank 48 between trucks....3/4 ply with stringer....not bowed, but hey....maybe to short but i care mostly about the freestyle aspect anyway

Some/most of the crossarms look like aluminum....not steel so i gotta poke around......

Any big objections?

Gotta do this, as a marked absence of sun spots may mean another "little ice age"....i do believe in global warming, but the sun spot thing just started happening ....no shit .Not intended to hijack thread to any politics please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: