myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wave board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drysuit2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: wave board Reply with quote

Looking for a replacement. My favorite board of all time, a 2007, JP 109 FSW, wood; not carbon edition.
I weight between 185 and 200, depending on the time of year, and level of wellness. I found this board to work perfectly for me with a 5.0 to 6.0 Ezzy wave sail. Although in side off conditions where a long slog to the wind and waves are, I have used it with a 4.5. Yes I can run it with a 6.5 and a big 12 inch fin; but that is not why I love it.
I love it with a 9 or 10 inch wave fin, and a 5.0 where I can finally keep up with the flyweights on their 4,5’s and their 85 ltr toys. Especially on those gusty North Westerly’s. I like the extra volume, for the long slogs to Demo, or to get me home if the wind dies. I find that while not a super fast board, it’s rocker and volume distribution never scared me dropping in to a logo high face.

Any suggestions? I have found the new JP 109 to be too fast and I think it’s rails are too sharp. I borrowed a friends, and it kept tripping over it’s self. Plenty slashy, but I’m a 47 year old power carving rail to rail guy.
So I need another Big mans wave board that I CAN TURN OFF BOTH THE FRONT, OR BACK FOOT.
A board that’s big and floaty; but sails like it’s 15 LTS smaller than it is.

Thanks

Frank

http://drysuit2.blogspot.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010 Exocet Cross 104. 2009 E Cross 106, 2008-09 E Cross 118. Fanatic Free Waves of similar size. Or the red dot edition Mistrals from Mark Nelson from 2008-2009 with a cross venue target use. My favorite shapers.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from a number of people that JP's FSW don't have much "W" to them.

Meanwhile John Ingebritsen (sp?) is a big guy in the waves, so that's worth taking into consideration.

You might also talk to Jon Ford (who is always bigger than everyone remembers)...I know he got a new light wind wave ride in for himself last month. I don't remember what it is but he was stoked about it.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: wave board Reply with quote

drysuit2 wrote:
Plenty slashy, but I’m a 47 year old power carving rail to rail guy.
So I need another Big mans wave board that I CAN TURN OFF BOTH THE FRONT, OR BACK FOOT.
A board that’s big and floaty

• Have you ever sailed a smaller wavy board? If not, you'll be amazed how much more "power slashing" a smaller board is capable of. Every 10 liters makes a significant difference.

• I hear you on the slog to the windline, but my 95 liter boards slog fine, and my 80s and 85s slog quite well at your weight.

• Your back-foot-turning requirement filters out a lot of boards, especially FSWs. I won't own a board that won't turn on a pinhead at full speed with a twitch of my strapped-in back foot toes, and that seems tough to come by in anything but a wave board, the smaller the better.

• In iffy side-off winds, I stay upwind of my launch so my slog home is off the wind. I save my big board -- 95 liters -- for the REALLY iffy winds and bigger waters, when it's likely that I'll have to slog a long ways at or above a beam reach (1,000 yards way out east in the Gorge, a mile or more in the ocean). With a mere 500 yard swim at risk in normal (gusty) Gorge winds, I'll almost always sail at or under 80 liters for superior slashing. Of course, if your next stop downwind is CT or Bermuda, screw maneuverability and go for volume.

Mike \m/
Ilpescatore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: EXO Wave 105 Reply with quote

I have an Exocet Wave Pro 105 that, at least in my experience, sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I typically run it with a 6.2 or 5.3, but it sails great with my 6.8 wave sail as well. It turns very well with the fin or the rails on a wave and planes off quickly as well. I am around 200lbs (in the summer that is)

Just my 2 cents....>Fish
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: wave board Reply with quote

drysuit2 wrote:
Looking for a replacement. My favorite board of all time, a 2007, JP 109 FSW, wood; not carbon edition.
I weight between 185 and 200, depending on the time of year, and level of wellness. I found this board to work perfectly for me with a 5.0 to 6.0 Ezzy wave sail. Although in side off conditions where a long slog to the wind and waves are, I have used it with a 4.5. Yes I can run it with a 6.5 and a big 12 inch fin; but that is not why I love it.
I love it with a 9 or 10 inch wave fin, and a 5.0 where I can finally keep up with the flyweights on their 4,5’s and their 85 ltr toys. Especially on those gusty North Westerly’s. I like the extra volume, for the long slogs to Demo, or to get me home if the wind dies. I find that while not a super fast board, it’s rocker and volume distribution never scared me dropping in to a logo high face.

Any suggestions? I have found the new JP 109 to be too fast and I think it’s rails are too sharp. I borrowed a friends, and it kept tripping over it’s self. Plenty slashy, but I’m a 47 year old power carving rail to rail guy.

Thanks

Frank

Hey drysuit,

Have you looked at the AHD Rebound?
http://www.a-h-d.com/boards/windsurf/2009/rebound/?ahdid=undefined

Looks like a fantastic x-over board.

Florian

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: wave board Reply with quote

Have you tried sailing a pure freestyle board for this wind range? Like a 108 liter JP Freestyle (not the FSW)?

I think Jon F is using a 108 Freestyle (JP) as his light wind wave board. I sail the 109, but it's a bit big for me at 165lbs. Still, it's fast enough, slashy, quite shloggable, jumps well etc. You're welcome to jump on it and give it a spin should we meet up at West Meadow or whereever.

drysuit2 wrote:

Thanks

Frank

CentralCoastNC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: This may be the board for you Reply with quote

http://classified.iwindsurf.com/classifieds.pl?db=boards&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=15615&query=retrieval
drysuit2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks to everyone for their input Reply with quote

feuser , and PeconicPuffin; your answers were the most helpful because you guys know me. And have actually sailed with me.

I never would have attempted to sail a Nor Easter at Democrat Point without feuser’s guidance and experience.

feuser: the rebounds look like a great line. I just need something in between the 103 and 113.

PeconicPuffin: I’ll give John a call.

I will definitely look into the Exocet cross 106, Jingebritsen mentioned. Or the Exo Wave pro 105, Gato did. What years are the ones you are talking about?
I think Brook used to sail a cross as a light air demo board a few years back.

I also want to explore the RRD 110 Freestyle Wave boards from 2009. They are the same 64cm width, and the volume is about the same. But George and Pete keep snapping their RRDS in half.

CentralCoastNC, I appreciate that you attempted to sell me a board that is nothing like I was looking for in my post. Good luck with that.

And lastly I want to congratulate isobars. You managed four paragraphs with out even so much as an attempt to answer any of my questions.
pete1111

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks to everyone for their input Reply with quote

drysuit2 wrote:

I also want to explore the RRD 110 Freestyle Wave boards from 2009. They are the same 64cm width, and the volume is about the same. But George and Pete keep snapping their RRDS in half.

I also broke a JP,Starboard and a Exocet.
If you jump high enough and land toooooo flat anything will break
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: