myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno argues that this is a substantive point?

Quote:
we should not go overboard trying to fix something that maybe can't be fixed or doesn't need to be fixed

The literature developed by scientists, indicates that it may be difficult or impossible to reverse increasing CO2 levels before they start to cost trillions. Those impacts will be felt disproportionately in low-lying areas. To argue that it doesn't need to be fixed, without indicating any understanding of the science, is not a substantive point--it is more like a prayer. But I think life in the bubble is accompanied by a lot of prayer, and the delusion that you will get a personal answer directly from Jesus.

If you actually read the posts, you would know that Bard called us insane.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, why on earth do you hang out at places like InfoWars for anything meaningful? Is this kind of obscure fringe stuff news to you? Alex Jones is a nut.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree we should not go overboard. I know it may be hard to accept, but what if a leftie or a scientist had a plan to ease off as I posted earlier.
Would that be an acceptable compromise?
I have never seen that Talk Radio blueprint for spending trillions without any evidence. Have you?
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fringe stuff, conspiracy theories, fake facts that support preconceived ideas is much more satisfying than the boring real world libs live in and their often moderate reasonable opinions.
I makes you feel good that they are such fools and you have the inside line.
It is an addiction. Once you accept enough of it, the real world is hard to understand anymore.
In that fake world all is extreme. Those who accept climate science want to kill anybody who disagrees.
O is Satan.
There is a giant secret fund that grants money to millions of scientists if they agree to never tell that it is all a scam.
O is a Muslim.
Libs love to pay high taxes and waste money.
John Mcain is a terrorist.
Welfare people vote in mass for anyone who gives them money.
O is a Kenyan.
America is helpless because of the changes Congress, I mean O, has made.

I have heard every one of these things here on this site alone.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC--Of course nobody here has said do unreasonable things to deal with global warming. I have posted--and never gotten any reasoned response--to the proposal by Jim Hansen to enact a revenue-neutral carbon tax, where taxes on carbon replaced other taxes.

Of course you get blather from the right that government can't do anything. This, by people who go to parks to windsurf. When you point out that government regulation and education has resulted in the smoking rate dropping from over 42% in 1962 to 18% in 2012--they say nothing. When you point out that the reduction in smoking rate has saved billions in health care costs--they say nothing. When you point out that Big Oil hired some of the same "scientists" that hid the evidence on the damage that smoking does--they say nothing.

But they invent, in their own minds, the terrible things that scientists will do to prevent sea level rise from swamping the coastal areas where half the population in the United States lives.

Facts are so inconvenient--and scarce--in the right wing.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

Pueno typically is "evasive", runs off on tangents or resorts to insults rather than discussing the issues. It's a common strategy when there is little recourse to a valid point made in a debate.

Excuse me, but YOU were the one who brought "one driver, one car, fence all the roads" into the conversation about the outcomes of global warming.

You, not me.

That's a classic, textbook case of "evasive, runs off on tangents."

And you're off on another one right now.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueno--I had missed the irony of this the first time:

Quote:
a common strategy when there is little recourse to a valid point made in a debate.

Of course a debate actually involves having some understanding of the underlying science and facts, acknowledging a point if it has relevance, and providing a counterpoint that you think is more compelling. Rare or entirely absent. Instead you get the kind of response that NW is wont to make--well that comes from a government scientist, and I know you can't trust them. Said without a sense of irony as NW signs up for the latest lies from the Koch brothers--relying on discredited tobacco "scientists." Don't show me no stinking physics! Let me make up some stories to justify my biases.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

Quote:
a common strategy when there is little recourse to a valid point made in a debate.

Of course a debate actually involves having some understanding of the underlying science and facts, acknowledging a point if it has relevance, and providing a counterpoint that you think is more compelling. Rare or entirely absent. Instead you get the kind of response that NW is wont to make--well that comes from a government scientist, and I know you can't trust them. Said without a sense of irony as NW signs up for the latest lies from the Koch brothers--relying on discredited tobacco "scientists." Don't show me no stinking physics! Let me make up some stories to justify my biases.

Mac,

These clowns are amazing. It's pure comedy. I still haven't figured out how they all fit in that little car -- particularly with Mikey's gargantuan, self-aggrandizing, Hindenburg-like, gas-bag ego hogging all the oxygen.

Just have a good laugh.

Very Happy

keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea of enlightening rational debate.
Among human beings , including every poster here I only read about it in Socratic Dialogues . In the last few thousand years it has fallen out of favor.
These guys do debate at random here.
Me too.

Last edited by keycocker on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
mac wrote:

Quote:

Mac,

These clowns are amazing. It's pure comedy. I still haven't figured out how they all fit in that little car -- particularly with Mikey's gargantuan, self-aggrandizing, Hindenburg-like, gas-bag ego hogging all the oxygen.

Just have a good laugh.

Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing Bothers in arms Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 289 of 573

Jump to: