myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can tell me that global warning isn't practically 100% political.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Democratic AGs, climate change groups colluded on prosecuting dissenters, emails show
By Valerie Richardson - The Washington Times - Sunday, April 17, 2016

In the hours before they took the stage for their March 29 press conference, Democratic attorneys general received a secret briefing from two top environmentalists on pursuing climate change dissenters.

Peter Frumhoff of the Union of Concerned Scientists and the Climate Accountability Institute’s Matt Pawa spent 45 minutes each providing talking points behind the scenes on “the imperative of taking action now” and “climate change litigation,” according to a cache of emails released over the weekend by the free market Energy & Environmental Legal Institute.

For climate change groups, the New York press event was the culmination of four years of planning and advocacy in support of an explosive proposition: using the legal system to link fossil fuel firms and others challenging the catastrophic global warming consensus to fraud and even racketeering, the emails and other documents show.

The effort paid off. At the press conference, which included former Vice President Al Gore, a coalition of 16 Democratic attorneys general and one independent — Virgin Islands Attorney General Claude E. Walker — announced that they would use the power of state government to explore legal avenues to challenge climate change dissent.

Four of the attorneys general have reportedly launched investigations into Exxon Mobil Corp., and Mr. Walker has issued a subpoena for 10 years worth of climate change documents and communications from the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a free market think tank.

Mr. Walker also issued a subpoena last month to Exxon Mobil, citing the territory’s laws against racketeering. The company filed a motion Wednesday to block the subpoena in Texas state court.

David Schnare, legal counsel for E&E, called on the coalition, operating under the name AGs United for Clean Power, to reveal its relationship with the climate change movement.

“We call on these AGs to immediately halt their investigation and lay out for the public the full extent of this collusion, producing all records or information provided them in briefings or other work with the outside activists, including those they are trying to keep secret through a Common Interest Agreement,” Mr. Schnare said in a Friday statement.

For the rest~
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/17/democratic-ags-climate-change-groups-colluded-on-p/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So where were the Republican AG's?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So where were the Republican AG's?"

Seems like you didn't read far enough.

"Several Republican attorneys general have called the coalition’s effort an attack on free speech.

“This scientific and political debate is healthy, and it should be encouraged,” said a March 30 joint statement by Attorneys General Scott Pruitt of Oklahoma and Luther Strange of Alabama.

“It should not be silenced with threats of criminal prosecution by those who believe that their position is the only correct one and that all dissenting voices must therefore be intimidated and coerced into silence,” they said. “It is inappropriate for State Attorneys General to use the power of their office to attempt to silence core political speech on one of the major policy debates of our time.”

Both have joined a lawsuit filed by 26 attorneys general challenging the EPA’s Clean Power Plan, which requires strict emissions reductions in the name of combating climate change."

Who would have guessed that the Republican AGs were fighting against the EPA's strict emissions reductions? You can always depend on the Republicans to side with power companies in their right to pollute.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"So where were the Republican AG's?"

Seems like you didn't read far enough.

Who would have guessed that the Republican AGs were fighting against the EPA's strict emissions reductions? You can always depend on the Republicans to side with power companies in their right to pollute.

I did read the entire thing, I was talking about Republican AGs joining the collusion.
Sorry you didn't understand, didn't think it was that complicated of a question.

But there you go again with you thinking that the Repubs are all in favor of pollution, what a knucklehead claim to hang you hat on.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me a Republican action in the last decade to reduce pollution. Just one is all I ask.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something for the Republican AGs to do...........enforce the law.

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights
If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same.......they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

It's time to clean the house of AGs whose political leanings and aspirations relegate their sworn duty to uphold the law to a distant second place.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Show me a Republican action in the last decade to reduce pollution. Just one is all I ask.

2. Richard Nixon
Before he resigned in disgrace following the Watergate scandal, Nixon signed into law an almost unbelievable catalog of environmental legislation.
The National Environmental Policy Act, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the Environmental Pesticide Control Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Endangered Species Act were all signed by or supported by Nixon, according to Mother Nature Network (MNN.com).
He also established the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a cabinet-level federal department. Some question, however, whether Nixon acted out of real concern for the environment or mere political expedience: He once reportedly said that environmentalists wanted to live like "a bunch of damned animals."
3. Theodore Roosevelt
A renowned big-game hunter and lifelong Republican, Teddy Roosevelt might seem an unlikely environmentalist. But as the bully-pulpit president himself might say, actions speak louder than words.
During his presidency (1901-1909), he preserved more than 230 million acres (93 million hectares) of wilderness, created the U.S Forest Service, aggressively pursued soil and water conservation, and established more than 200 national forests, national monuments, national parks and wildlife refuges.
As governor of New York, Roosevelt even outlawed the use of feathers in clothing like hats to prevent the slaughter of exotic birds. "The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem," he once said, according to the Theodore Roosevelt Association. "Unless we solve that problem, it will avail us little to solve all others."
4. Barry Goldwater
Though he was late to the eco-party, Goldwater — a five-term Republican senator from Arizona and a presidential candidate in 1964 — was an unabashed lover of the great outdoors, especially of Arizona and its Grand Canyon.
"While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system and all that it entails," he once wrote, "I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean and pollution-free environment."
Though Goldwater initially supported the construction of Glen Canyon Dam, which destroyed the colorful gorges of Glen Canyon beneath the water of Lake Powell, he later regretted his position. Shortly before he died in 1998, Goldwater joined the Republicans for Environmental Protection (now known as ConservAmerica).
5. William Ruckelshaus
Born into a family of bedrock Indiana Republicans, Ruckelshaus served in the administrations of Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. But from the beginning, he showed an abiding interest in environmental protection and was actively involved in Hoosier-state water- and air-pollution legislation.
After Nixon created the EPA, he appointed Ruckelshaus as the organization's first administrator. Among his many achievements there, Ruckelshaus banned the use of the pesticide DDT.
Still involved in environmental causes in later life, he once reflected of his time in government, "At EPA, you work for a cause that is beyond self-interest and larger than the goals people normally pursue. You're not there for the money, you're there for something beyond yourself."
6. Sherwood Boehlert
Though his name is not a household word outside his native upstate New York, Republican Representative Boehlert was a resolute environmentalist during a time (1983-2007) when the cause simply wasn't cool, earning the moniker "Green Hornet" for his support of environmental causes.
Throughout the Reagan years, he actively campaigned for legislation to fight acid rain, protect endangered species and support higher automotive fuel standards. As chairman of the House Science Committee, Boehlert spearheaded efforts to increase investment in the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy's Office of Science.
Even in retirement, Boehlert continues to fight the good green fight, and serves on the board of Al Gore's Alliance for Climate Protection, "something that is inconceivable now for any current Republican member of Congress," reports MNN.com.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: ve Reply with quote

The word decade sailed right past Bard. As a matter of fact, Nixon cared not at all about the environment--he saw harnessing the new wave of concern over protecting the environment as something to be on the right side of or he would lose the election.

In the past decade the Republican party has done exactly what the coal, oil, and resource extraction co9mpanies have asked them to do.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost on NW, and ignored by mrgybe is the fact that Exxon and others may have misled potential investors, not just the general public. Under this reasoning, if they hid the risk that climate change and potential regulation might have on the value of their assets, that might be fraud. There is some precedent for that--any business now must disclose their current knowledge and the magnitude of risk of any known pollution on their land.

I guess fraud is ok if you own stock in the company lying?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, I think it's pretty clear who Republican AGs collude with, and that's my point. It doesn't surprise me that you choose to look the other way and accept a bogus point of view that strict emission standards just aren't worthwhile. Thankfully, many thoughtful folks with mind for the future see things differently.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to try to illustrate the lunatic fringe logic of the claim that republicans are all in favor of pollution because they, in large part, don't believe in global warming, so here goes.

Democrats believe that the only good baby, is a dead baby, because they believe in keeping abortion legal at any time.
See how it works? That's pure lunatic fringe logic.

And mac you asked for examples w/in the last 10 years only.
Don't you think that our country has a pretty good handle on pollution yet?
I do, especially w/in the last 10 years, that's like asking how much legislation has been done w/in the last 10 years to get people to wear seatbelts, I think it's been done.
But we still have accidents don't we.

swc:"It doesn't surprise me that you choose to look the other way and accept a bogus point of view that strict emission standards just aren't worthwhile."
That's pure bullshit and you know it, always has been, always will be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 437 of 573

Jump to: