myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 454, 455, 456 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015 population in Calif. was 38,715,000

Quote:
With California's high rate of foreign immigration as a high birth rate California's population is nonetheless expected to rise over the next few decades as shown by these California population projections from the U.S.
Census Bureau...

2020 - 42,206,743
2025 - 44,305,177
2030 - 46,444,861

You guys may be up sh*# creek. The geography of Calif. is enticing, but if you guys can't figure out a way to dehydrate water, sagebrush may become your state plant.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the central valley dries up (if it does), the farmers and their laborers will be out of work, but no more dams, so Cali. would be willing to just import food and fresh water.
The wind and sun are fickle energy sources at best, fossil fuels will still be in demand, but no more nukes, and no more drilling, so Cali will be importing their energy along with the food and water. California, showing the rest of the world how to save the earth.
It's really simple, any liberal can figure that out.

Cow farts, forgot about those, they are now regulated also, new this year.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing nothing doesn't stop NW from trying, in vain, to crack wise. A few articles on what has been happening to the snowpack: http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2016/04/14/climate-change-snowpack-water-supplies/82631192/
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/12/science/california-snow-drought-sierra-nevada-water.html?_r=0

Lots more can be found. Bottom line? Even at 7,000 feet, the reliability of snow is diminished. Spring runoff is down 10%. Peak runoff from melt is occurring 1 week earlier. Of course, if you are a climate change skeptic pitching red meat to those who don't understand either science or critical thinking, you can average 100 years of data and obscure the changes that are evident over the last 20 years.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
2015 population in Calif. was 38,715,000

Quote:
With California's high rate of foreign immigration as a high birth rate California's population is nonetheless expected to rise over the next few decades as shown by these California population projections from the U.S.
Census Bureau...

2020 - 42,206,743
2025 - 44,305,177
2030 - 46,444,861

You guys may be up sh*# creek. The geography of Calif. is enticing, but if you guys can't figure out a way to dehydrate water, sagebrush may become your state plant.

Housing is the wild card. It's so expensive that this may keep people out. Apartment rents in my town are $3000 to $5000 per month. Only 11 homes were built in Malibu in 2015. NIMBY is alive and well.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to multiple claims that carbon is inevitable, and reducing carbon requires us all to resort to hair shirts and diminished quality of life, here are some trends. Thank you Obama.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why great caution should be exercised when reading his posts. The chart refers to electricity generation........about one sixth of total power needs. And the largest reason, by a country mile, for the decline in CO2 emissions? Conversion of coal fired plants to natural gas accounted for nearly two thirds of the reduction, despite the constant efforts of this Administration to restrict exploration. Thank you oil and gas industry......once again you are improving our lives.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite so!

Some of us are sick to death of loaded propaganda from all sides of the global warming spectrum. Meanwhile, Europe is in the grip of severe Arctic conditions which will spread to us by the weekend. (Oodles of snow and disruption, with likely power supply failures.)

Certainly, all of our remaining generating capacity (coal, nuclear, oil, gas, and windmills) will be insufficient to keep the lights burning and the heaters on (all electric our house) without importing power from France, yet still, the closure program of the few coal fired power stations remaining, and the older nuclear stations is going ahead, with no credible replacements yet up and running, apart from acres of windmills!

Thank goodness France has a surplus from its nuclear capacity! But if the house is freezing if there are cuts, I could always fill the tank of the car (nasty petrol power) and switch the heater full on. Better than freezing to death!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any place in the Northern hemisphere that isn't freezing? I just arrived in Mammoth. Dumping snow by the meter.

Ps GT, they sell a small gas generator at our local harbor freight for $89. Enough to heat and light a room in your home. Good luck surviving this winter.....a normal winter by all standards.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, but we still have an open fireplace (not yet illegal) and I've stocked up on wood - and candles. But I think my days of windsurfing in Arctic snow storms are over!

Last week, I had one of those strange coincidence experiences which really rammed it home. I repeated a slalom kayak rock bash run along a cliff line that I'd done 40 years ago (to the day) just for old times sake. Another kayaker, doing likewise, was working towards me from the opposite direction. Amazingly, it was an ex kayaking buddy from the 1970's who I'd not seen since.

We recognised each other instantly (sub conscious style, and memory of the past, I suppose) and HE accused ME of being ' a right blast from the past, like having entered a time warp'! What the hell was he, I laughingly wanted to know!

But it has left a definite impression, and has really struck home. We both of us, are left overs from a different life, and have little relevance to world affairs (long since retired) nowadays. (No influence left, even if we ever really had any, anyway.)

So let the weather/climate have it's way. I can't stop it, or even understand it. And neither, I think, can most others!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Is there any place in the Northern hemisphere that isn't freezing? I just arrived in Mammoth. Dumping snow by the meter.

Ps GT, they sell a small gas generator at our local harbor freight for $89. Enough to heat and light a room in your home. Good luck surviving this winter.....a normal winter by all standards.

Steve, when you're bored in a day or two, come up to Squaw for the weekend...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 454, 455, 456 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 455 of 573

Jump to: