myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 456, 457, 458 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I t wasn't just fun or daring, but more an affinity with the sea. But I'm under no illusion about how insignificant my presence really was. Yet it must have some personal significance, or life is just a silly joke!

GT, You are old sea dog!! As they say in this country.......props!!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonders never cease!

Professor Mike Lockwood of Reading University has just co-authored a paper (Scientific Reports journal) confirming evidence that Northern Europe could , in the next few decades, be entering the most sever Maunder minimum for over 300 years, which may produce a similar effect to that of the 17 th century. (The so called Little Ice Age.) He concludes that temperatures could plummet.

But isn't that precisely what the Russian Science Academy predicted a few years back! And wasn't professor Lockwood one who ridiculed the idea that the suns regular cycles and phases had any great effect on the earths climate at all! (What an about face.)

Of course, being a dedicated warmer he still insists thet Greenland, and the Arctic, will still 'melt'. Perhaps our post brexit furniture manufacturers will leap on all that extra supply from Greenland's tropical forests, (I exaggerate - just a little), and our enterprising refrigeration industry will supply house sized freezers to the Eskimos, to make them still feel at home. Even our expedition kayak makers could supply them with the means of visiting their neighbours as they all precariously cling to life on scattered little islands amid those rising sea levels.

I just wish I could live for another 30 years (when it is all predicted to get under way) to be able to burst out laughing!
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sense of scale boys.

Quote:
During the Maunder Minimum, temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere declined, relative to twentieth-century averages, by about one degree Celsius.

We have a greater increase than that in place right now. At best this postpones more rapid warming. Study the physics of heat stored in the ocean.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should explain to professor Lockwood where he is going wrong. I'm sure he would appreciate you correcting him!

But first, check him out on Wikipedia. ( Michael Lockwood, Physicist,Reading University.) His qualifications, his research, and his many AWARDS from 1990 to 2015!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Perhaps you should explain to professor Lockwood where he is going wrong. I'm sure he would appreciate you correcting him!

But first, check him out on Wikipedia. ( Michael Lockwood, Physicist,Reading University.) His qualifications, his research, and his many AWARDS from 1990 to 2015!

Mac's has no time for that, he needs to go pick up some gas and rags for tonight's riot. Rolling Eyes
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from his research -

From past variations of the sun deduced from cosmogenic isotopes he concludes that a slide into a new maunder minimum is possible over THE NEXT 50 to 100 YEARS. --and, A higher occurrence frequency of cold winters across Europe, but relatively warmer ones elsewhere. (i.e. Greenland, as I stated.)

He does not predict a new 'ice age', but he does suggest that winter temperatures in Europe could indeed match those experienced in the so called 'Little Ice Age' of the 17 th century.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before mac get his panties up in a wad again, yes, I do know the difference between weather and climate, but do you know that weather is a symptom of climate? It's quite simple really.
The Sierra snow pack is at a 22 year high right now, and winter isn't even over yet, Punxsutawney Phil just told us that, which is amazing considering he doesn't even get a government grant.
LHDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, GT, I've given up getting upset about your posts on global warming and come to accept that at a certain age you have earned the right to be stubborn. Like you, I wish that we'll be able to see what things look like 30 years from now.

Here's just one additional quote from your, indeed, qualified scientist Lockwood, unsurprisingly in line with Mac.

"The Maunder Minimum in solar activity of the 17th century is sometimes mistakenly thought to be the cause of the so-called Little Ice Age, when winter temperatures in Europe, and elsewhere in the world, were lower than average.

But the Little Ice Age began before the Maunder Minimum and ended after it, and our previous work with the Met Office has shown that the coming solar minimum will do little to offset the far more significant global heating effects of greenhouse gas emissions."
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please explain to me why the "settled science" preached to us over the last decade or so, only started to include decreasing solar activity and purported absorption of heat by the oceans when outcomes from global warming fell way short of predictions. Could it be that the science isn't settled at all, just like we "deniers' have been saying all along?
mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pray tell, what is "way short" of a tenth of degree?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 456, 457, 458 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 457 of 573

Jump to: