myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 553, 554, 555 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that missed nw30's point is either stupid or too stubborn to acknowledge the vulnerability of "settled science".

I choose to keep an open mind.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of continuing knowledge growth in one area of science disturbing the weight of evidence in another area of science is truly remarkable. Has nothing to do with an open mind or critical thinking.

The practice of posting a non sequitur in response to an article that you really can't refute is, however, a NW trait. Along with much of the rest of the right wing.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
You are too clueless to know how I feel. You posted a non sequitur—it had nothing to do with what I posted. It was interesting, and probably true—but so what? I didn’t really expect you to answer the questions—or even know how to. It appears that you were just trolling—thinking seems to be a bridge too far. SAD.

Dude beyond what you believe, it's not all about you or what you posted before my post, you like to personalize everything, you remind me of my ex wife, get over yourself.

"SAD", yeah I'm sure you are. Rolling Eyes
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex wife. Probably said you don't listen. No surprise there.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To you?
My post wasn't a rebuttal, it was just additional information about the subject of the entire thread, but you took it personally, put a skirt on it.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people are passionate about global warming. But this seems a bit excessive, don't you think.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://nypost.com/2018/04/14/activist-lawyer-burned-himself-to-death-to-protest-global-warming/
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More news for mac to take a dump on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Climate change is ‘not as bad as we thought’ say scientists
CLIMATE change is likely to be markedly less severe than forecast, a study claimed yesterday.

By John Ingham
PUBLISHED: 10:19, Wed, Apr 25, 2018

It predicted that the impact could be up to 45 per cent less intense than is widely accepted.
But the study emerged as other scientists said winter waves pounding the Scottish and Irish coasts have grown grow by up to 5ft 6in (1.7metres) over the past 70 years.
Rising sea levels and more intense storms are in line with global warming forecasts.
The study questioning the future intensity of climate change was carried out by American climatologist Judith Curry and UK mathematician Nick Lewis.
It is based on analysing the warming effect of greenhouse gases and other drivers of climate change, from the mid 19th century until 2016.
It forecast that future warming will be between 30 per cent and 45 per cent lower than suggested by simulations carried out by the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel one Climate Change.

The study in the American Meteorological Society’s Journal of Climate predicts temperature rises of 1.66C compared to one IPCC forecast of 3.1C and 1.33C compared to another IPCC study predicting 1.9C.
The 2015 Paris climate agreement sought to limit climate change to 2C above pre-industrial levels and no more than 1.5C if possible.
Mr Lewis, said: “Our results imply that, for any future emissions scenario, future warming is likely to be substantially lower than the central computer model-simulated level projected by the IPCC, and highly unlikely to exceed that level.”
Governments around the world base their preparation for tackling climate change on the IPCC models.
Actions include subsidising green energy which has led to higher electricity bills.

However, a separate study by Plymouth University and French colleagues says that average winter wave heights along the Atlantic coast of Western Europe have been rising for almost seven decades.
The coastlines of Scotland and Ireland have seen the largest increases, with the average height of winter waves more than 2ft 4in (0.7metres) higher than in 1948.
And wave heights in winter storms are about 5ft 6in (1.7m) higher than 780 years ago, says the study which is to be published in the American Geophysical Union’s journal Geophysical Research Letters.
Dr Bruno Castelle of France’s National Centre for Scientific Research said: “The height of waves during winter storms is the primary factor affecting dune and cliff erosion, explaining up to 80 per cent of the shoreline variability along exposed sandy coasts."

“So any increases in wave heights, and greater frequency of extreme storms, are going to have a major impact on thousands of communities along the Atlantic coastlines of Western Europe.

"This work and our other recent studies have shown both are on the rise, meaning there is a real need to ensure the Atlantic coasts of Europe are protected against present and future storm threats.”
The same scientists also showed that the winter storms of 2013-14 were the most powerful to hit the Atlantic coast of western Europe since records began in 1948.
The UK suffered its wettest ever winter during that period with widespread flooding as 12 major storms battered the country.
"This work and our other recent studies have shown both are on the rise, meaning there is a real need to ensure the Atlantic coasts of Europe are protected against present and future storm threats.”
The same scientists also showed that the winter storms of 2013-14 were the most powerful to hit the Atlantic coast of western Europe since records began in 1948.
The UK suffered its wettest ever winter during that period with widespread flooding as 12 major storms battered the country.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/950748/climate-change-scientists-impact-not-as-bad-on-planet
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You'd think that any news like this would be taken as good news, easing the fears of the warmers like mac. But the hardcore warmers, can't accept good news, meaning that the politics of it is what's the most important, even more than the science.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight. NW posts a news report—from a relatively conservative outlet—that appears to be valid—and crows about it. It says that one line of evidence of global warming—waves—suggests warming may not be as severe as our worse fears. Of course, that’s one of the reasons models project different scenarios. Lower temperature increases would be good news, but nothing to crow about since the impacts of even that lesser degree of warming will still be expensive. Delay in reducing CO2 emissions will, to be sure, mean higher temperatures. The Trump/Pruitt legacy.

You can stop making bad guesses about what I think any time. I’m actually paying attention to science, not Koch talking points, and I’ll let you know what I think. You can try thinking ant time, it doesn’t hurt.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ant time" is waaaaaay too slow for me. But they are strong for their size.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From February 2016 to February 2018 (the latest month available) global average temperatures dropped 0.56°C. You have to go back to 1982-84 for the next biggest two-year drop, 0.47°C—also during the global warming era. All the data in this essay come from GISTEMP Team, 2018: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis (GISTEMP). NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (dataset accessed 2018-04-11 at https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/). This is the standard source used in most journalistic reporting of global average temperatures.
The 2016-18 Big Chill was composed of two Little Chills, the biggest five month drop ever (February to June 2016) and the fourth biggest (February to June 2017). A similar event from February to June 2018 would bring global average temperatures below the 1980s average. February 2018 was colder than February 1998.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 553, 554, 555 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 554 of 573

Jump to: