myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 286, 287, 288 ... 343, 344, 345  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
techno900



Joined: 28 Mar 2001
Posts: 1484

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno said:
Quote:
That might be true or it might not be true, but the downside risk is too terrible to ponder


My point is that we need to move judiciously, and not let emotions or "chicken little" cries overcome logic and reason. Too terrible to ponder??? When someone steps in front of a moving car without looking, the results may be too terrible to ponder, but that doesn't mean that we must fence in every roadway to prevent people from being run over.

People that live and own business in flood planes made a conscious decision to live/work in a place that could go underwater or get blown away in a storm. So, who's responsibility is it to solve this problem, assuming the seas will rise? Since there is a fair amount of public infrastructure, certainly the cites, counties and states may have a significant obligation. The rest is up to those that chose to take the risk, which should mean - move your butt or pay a huge insurance premium.

When I moved to North Carolina, I looked at Wilmington on the coast, but after doing research on storms and potential flooding, I decided I didn't want to live with that storm cloud over my head every summer and fall during hurricane season, so I looked inland.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pueno



Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2676

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Too terrible to ponder??? When someone steps in front of a moving car without looking, the results may be too terrible to ponder, but that doesn't mean that we must fence in every roadway to prevent people from being run over.

An illogical example used for argument.

But to continue with your illogical example... if that one person stepping front of that one moving car means the death of millions of people and the destruction of millions of miles of shoreline and the loss of millions of businesses and the loss of zillions of jobs and the ruination of the habitable climate to which we're accustomed...

...then, yes, the cost of fencing every roadway -- and/or developing new technologies to prevent that one car from hitting that one person -- is absolutely worth it.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mac



Joined: 07 Mar 1999
Posts: 5253

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nit wit, again demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of physics and the literature on climate change, blows his wad all over his keyboard:

Quote:
Because you brought this up in this thread, it seems to me that you are trying to link hurricanes to global warming.
All I can say is O M G !!! Shocked


Indeed, there are two phenomena associated with climate change that are linked to hurricanes. First, sea level rise means that hurricanes do more damage. Second, one of the long time predictions of climate modeling is that extreme storms, and yes that includes hurricanes, will get more frequent.

The literature is full of science, not Koch brother lies, that show that much of the additional heat trapped on the planet due to elevated CO2 levels has been stored in the ocean. If Nit Wit had any understanding of physics, or the development of hurricanes, he would understand that hurricanes start over, or near Africa, and travel east across the ocean--picking up energy from the heat in the ocean. More heat in the ocean means more energy in the hurricane.

To summarize for nit wit, who stopped reading immediately--climate change doesn't cause hurricanes--it makes them worse.

I can suggest a number of used physics books that might make you seem less foolish. OMG> Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stevenbard



Joined: 11 Nov 1993
Posts: 4152

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
techno900 wrote:
Too terrible to ponder??? When someone steps in front of a moving car without looking, the results may be too terrible to ponder, but that doesn't mean that we must fence in every roadway to prevent people from being run over.

An illogical example used for argument.

But to continue with your illogical example... if that one person stepping front of that one moving car means the death of millions of people and the destruction of millions of miles of shoreline and the loss of millions of businesses and the loss of zillions of jobs and the ruination of the habitable climate to which we're accustomed...

...then, yes, the cost of fencing every roadway -- and/or developing new technologies to prevent that one car from hitting that one person -- is absolutely worth it.

.


You and the fear mongers are insane!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pueno



Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2676

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

You and the fear mongers are insane!


Except YOU are the one who tried to make a stupid argument with an illogical example.

When you claim "insane," look in the mirror. Laughing Laughing Laughing
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mac



Joined: 07 Mar 1999
Posts: 5253

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when those who history will show to have been on the wrong side just ignore the arguments and facts that they have trouble comprehending.

Irony is all we have left in the face of an effective public relations campaign by the carbon industries.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
techno900



Joined: 28 Mar 2001
Posts: 1484

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno said:
Quote:
...then, yes, the cost of fencing every roadway -- and/or developing new technologies to prevent that one car from hitting that one person -- is absolutely worth it.
I know, how about 5 point seat belts, roll bars and helmets for every car, driver and occupant? That would save thousands and thousands of lives. Oops, I forgot the pedestrians that cross streets. Helmets may save a few of them too and would be less expensive than fencing in every road. Or maybe invisible fencing along all roadways except for crosswalks, and require all pedestrians to wear shock collars.

No expense too great to save a life? I wonder it this logic will lead to a debt crisis that will be "too terrible to ponder"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pueno



Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2676

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

No expense too great to save a life? I wonder it this logic will lead to a debt crisis that will be "too terrible to ponder"?

Cheney said, "Deficits don't matter." Don't you believe Dear old Dick? I mean.... he's a man with a heart! (Someone else's.)

And it's not "a life" we were discussing... it was millions of lives, many thousands of miles of shoreline, zillions of jobs, businesses by the gazillion, national economies, and so on.

You seem to have conveniently forgotten the essence of your original screed.

No surprise there. Laughing Laughing Laughing

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
techno900



Joined: 28 Mar 2001
Posts: 1484

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno said:
Quote:
Cheney said, "Deficits don't matter." Don't you believe Dear old Dick? I mean.... he's a man with a heart! (Someone else's.)


There you go, what an convincing argument. Too bad Bush didn't say that, or your argument would be sooooo much stronger.

He also said:
Quote:
And it's not "a life" we were discussing... it was millions of lives, many thousands of miles of shoreline, zillions of jobs, businesses by the gazillion, national economies, and so on.


Exactly, and don't you want to get it right before you move ahead with the spending? That was and is still my point, which you seem to ignore.

He also said:
Quote:
it was millions of lives
Did I miss a disaster somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keycocker



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Posts: 3386

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spending you are speaking of- that would be the trillions of dollars that Talk Radio has invented as a budget for libs? or hundreds of trillions?
No the libs have never said they plan to move on that spending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 286, 287, 288 ... 343, 344, 345  Next
Page 287 of 345

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group