myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 555, 556, 557 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A page from NW—diversion. Not an answer, not a guru, not a clue.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blurb from mac:

"It’s not just the big hunks of plastic that are a problem—small pieces accummulate in organisms. One organization that studies these—the San Francisco Estuary Institute—is one where I served as a Board member for over a decade, helping set research priorities into microplastics. See http://www.sfei.org/projects/microplastic-pollution#sthash.XdSWcuus.dpbs "

in my opinion is the biggest pollution problem that we face today, it effects the entire food chain as well as the general health of the oceans, and it has nothing to do with global warming. That is what we are talking about here, global warming/cooling, which is going to happen, in either direction, no matter what we do. Some forms of pollution in the atmosphere can effect the sun's strength (evil fossil fuels), keeping that at a minimum is a desire everyone can share, but even if that is removed the sun is still going to do what it wants to do.
Not all forms of pollution have a direct effect on the earth's climate. Hosing down the streets of S.F., which is desperately needed, will have no effect on climate, for instance. No more garbage barges to be towed out into the oceans, many countries still do that, doesn't effect climate, just makes a big ass mess.
And, pick up your shit people, and use the fucking trash cans!!!

Maybe someday mac will put his ever present broad brush away, but I don't expect to see it in my lifetime. And his responses here were expected and of no surprise whatsoever.

mac, there you go personalizing my posts again, it's not about you, you left your students behind when you retired from teaching, we aren't your students. I just post things here that can, and should be considered good news for you warmers, they are not supposed to be "Gotchas", but you can't help but shit on them anyway with your "lessons" that you have found online that won't allow for any good news.
And then you sarcastically say "I scare myself", well you should be then, but I don't share your fear.

And this wheel goes round and round.
Maybe you got some wind today, I sure did, big swell also, maybe you need more.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
mac wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:
Mac, the oceans are disgusting with plastics destroying our eco systems. Growing arctic ice bores are pulling up plastic and pollutants. If you want the right to embrace your cause, let's talk about real pollution, including air, water, ice and viruses. We can all get behind this.

Global warming puts everyone to sleep.

Pray tell Bard, how would you do that? Your beloved oil companies have increased the amount of plastic produced by twenty-fold, and are on track to double the amount of plastic they generate—a significant amount of which is disposed of into the marine environment. Your beloved Trump and his crooked sidekick Pruitt have cut enforcement on illegal dumping of all kinds, and rolled back economic incentives that might reduce plastic. My city just passed an ordinance penalizing plastic packaging, something supported by any number of environmental groups I have worked with. Maybe you can start such an effort in Malibu and Los Angeles?

https://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/assets/downloads/news/New-Plastics-Economy_Background-to-Key-Statistics_19022016v2.pdf

It’s not just the big hunks of plastic that are a problem—small pieces accummulate in organisms. One organization that studies these—the San Francisco Estuary Institute—is one where I served as a Board member for over a decade, helping set research priorities into microplastics. See http://www.sfei.org/projects/microplastic-pollution#sthash.XdSWcuus.dpbs

You are dead wrong on climate change. The heat is frying coral reefs and the storage of CO2 is killing everything else by acidification. It has always been a mystery to me why any waterman or woman can stand by while our playground is poisoned. Perhaps you slept through the science lesson. Or posted another fake news story without thinking or checking.

This is your city. Unfortunately my grandson and I just rode Bart on Sunday..

https://youtu.be/5gT5NULvRSk

Make these bums pick up trash

Poor Guru!!! God forbid he would harbor compassion instead of hate!
Dear Lord don't let him pass his hatred onto his grandson!!!

NOT from Malibu, NOT a Guru Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans who are skeptical about climate change engage in personal behavior that is more friendly to the environment than climate alarmists, who support increased government regulation, a new study has found.
Michael Hall, a psychologist from the University of Michigan, led a team of researchers in a yearlong longitudinal study of 600 Americans who “regularly reported their climate change beliefs, pro-environmental behavior, and other climate-change related measures” and published the results of their study in The Journal of Environmental Psychology.
mac

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

122 degrees in Pakistan. Nothing to see here, the planet is not cooking says Exxon, echoed by Pruitt and Bard.

https://www.wral.com/it-was-122-4-degrees-this-week-in-pakistan-probably-a-world-record-for-april/17530896/?comment_order=forward
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probe just sent to measure the core temperature of Mars, but we cant measure our own atmosphere?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 degrees in Malibu. I wish it were 75. I suppose I'll have to wait until August.....as usual.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
122 degrees in Pakistan. Nothing to see here, the planet is not cooking says Exxon, echoed by Pruitt and Bard.

https://www.wral.com/it-was-122-4-degrees-this-week-in-pakistan-probably-a-world-record-for-april/17530896/?comment_order=forward

If you're going to do this, quit being so quick to slam anybody else who posts info about a record cold, you do it consistently.
"Weather is not climate" and all that, yeah, okay.........
mac

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess NW missed the fact that this is the highest temperature ever--in April. It is not weather--it is an extreme event. But when you didn't pay attention in science...

From the current Smithsonian:

Quote:
According to a recent scientific report, between 1962 and 2006, glaciers melting in Alaska lost more than 440 cubic miles of water—nearly four times the volume of Lake Erie. “Ice shelves breaking off in Antarctica get a lot of press,” says Robert Anderson, a geologist at the Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research at the University of Colorado, “but these melting Alaskan glaciers matter.” Anderson has been studying glaciers in Wrangell-St. Elias for two decades. “What is rarely recognized is that surface glaciers, like those in Alaska, are probably contributing almost 50 percent of the water to sea-level rise.” NASA reports that the current sea-level rise is 3.4 millimeters a year, and increasing.....

The Tyndall Glacier, on the southern coast of Alaska, has been retreating so quickly that it is leaving behind steep, unsupported walls of rock and dirt. On October 17, 2015, the largest landslide in North America in 38 years crashed down in the Taan Fjord. The landslide was so enormous it was detected by seismologists at Columbia University in New York. Over 200 million tons of rock slid into the Taan Fjord in about 60 seconds. This, in turn, created a tsunami that was initially 630 feet high and roared down the fjord, obliterating virtually everything in its path even as it diminished to some 50 feet after ten miles.

“Alder trees 500 feet up the hillsides were ripped away,” Anderson says. “Glacial ice is buttressing the mountainsides in Alaska, and when this ice retreats, there is a good chance for catastrophic landslides.” In other ranges, such as the Alps and the Himalaya, he says, the melting of “ground ice,” which sort of glues rock masses to mountainsides, can release enormous landslides into populated valleys, with devastating consequences.

“For most humans, climate change is an abstraction,” Loso says when I meet him in his office, which is down a long, dark, heavily beamed mine building in Kennecott. “It’s moving so slowly as to be basically imperceptible. But not here! Here glaciers tell the story. They’re like the world’s giant, centuries-old thermometers.”

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/journey-into-big-unknown-americas-largest-national-park-180968741/#04chz1vlkfi7Cu3G.99

Those who don't study science, and listen to some representative of big carbon quote the bible about how god is in charge of everything can't fathom a change that melts 440 cubic miles of glacier.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
I guess NW missed the fact that this is the highest temperature ever--in April. It is not weather--it is an extreme event. But when you didn't pay attention in science...

Doubling down on your hypocritical post, does not make you any less of a hypocrite. I know, you have a greater intellect so it's not hypocrisy, yeah, okay..........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 555, 556, 557 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 556 of 573

Jump to: