myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where in Florida for wind junkie?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Where in Florida for wind junkie? Reply with quote

I've been sailing the SF Bay area for a long time so I'm used to getting a lot of days in on the water.
I'd love to take advantage of the real estate weakness in Florida so I'm planning a trip in Feb to scope real estate near the best windsurfing areas.
I want a little house near the killer launch/area.
Florida wind guys do you have any suggestions for areas to check out for a certified wind junkie?
Thank you, Hunt
Number-nine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay in San Fran

Look at all the posts about wave sailing on a 11' board in FLA
glenherman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like wave sailing, then Jupiter and Sebastian both on the east coast are the two best wave spots in Florida. Real estate prices may be down, but Jupiter is going to be expensive even by California standards. Sebastian is a lot cheaper. It will remind you of home as it is the sharkiest place in all Florida
I live in Boynton Beach and we have had an excellent year for wave sailing. I have used 6.3 and 5.2 sails and 99 or 84 liter boards 2 or 3 days each week. Waves have been 3 to 8 foot. Wind season is September through May. You could be bi-coastal and sail here in the winter and Cali in the summer.
Let me know when you come visit, we can take a windsurfing road trip
Glen
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest of all is Fort Pierce, exactly halfway between Jupiter and Sebastian. I sailed side-off waves here today in just a bathing suit.

Of course I was on a floaty board using a 6.6 sail and the waves were only about 2 feet high, but that's typical Florida for ya.

Between Fort Pierce and Jupiter there's Stuart, with an enclave of flatwater windsurfers who launch from the causeway. In Jupiter there are bigger waves more often, and maybe a bit stronger wind than the other places, and a couple serious amateur wavesailors hang out there.

I have lots of videos and stuff of windsurfing in Fort Pierce on my blog.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com
ringe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: read my mind Reply with quote

Yea Glen you read my mind - opposite seasons. I'd like a little pad down there when it craps out here in October. I'll check Sebastian and the space coast area just north then I'll work my way down to Bolyton B and Miami.
Is the west coast worth exploring? Flatter water can be fun with good wind.
Thanks for the info Glen. My email's windgod@comcast.net if you want to try to sail together sometime.
Hunt

glenherman wrote:
If you like wave sailing, then Jupiter and Sebastian both on the east coast are the two best wave spots in Florida. Real estate prices may be down, but Jupiter is going to be expensive even by California standards. Sebastian is a lot cheaper. It will remind you of home as it is the sharkiest place in all Florida
I live in Boynton Beach and we have had an excellent year for wave sailing. I have used 6.3 and 5.2 sails and 99 or 84 liter boards 2 or 3 days each week. Waves have been 3 to 8 foot. Wind season is September through May. You could be bi-coastal and sail here in the winter and Cali in the summer.
Let me know when you come visit, we can take a windsurfing road trip
Glen
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promote the 11'5 Kona because that gives me 150 more possible days per year of wave sailing. We do get another 150 days of short boarding in Brevard County. Provided one does not work, and can chase every wind event that is.... Agreed, Ft Peirce rocks. Watch out, something in the water down there makes everyone think they've got to kite, for some reason. James is the exception, most everyone else, culturally, methinks, has shifted to kiting exclusively.

Great thing about Brevard, esp Cocoa and Titusvulle, is one can access the underside of Cape Canaveral for N, NE, and SW. And, sail Playalinda Beach for NW to N, and SE winds. Lots more chances to get side shore to side off. Beware though, if one chooses Cocoa Beach, then the "too long to drive" mentality will keep one from getting some pretty stellar days that are denied for those that wait for wind/wave conditions to reach them below the Cape. Seen it time and again, the Cape, complete with waist deep shoals for mile offshore, chops down swells coming in from the N.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
ringe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: The cape sounds good Reply with quote

It sounds like the cape has a lot of options. This is the info I was looking for as I want to sail most days and not have to drive too far to do it.
I definitely will check that area. I'm watching the forecast to plan my trip.
Thanks, Hunt
floridawavesailr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: florida sailing Reply with quote

jupiter area is good. i sailed 4.7 yesterday but small local waves. last sunday was like ho'okipa(yes, water and air temps too)without the rocks. and there were a couple more good days mixed in that i missed last week(swell was still around and seabreeze boosted sideshore winds a few hours or more each day). much cheaper real estate on the southside of jupiter in north palm area, i imagine smaller older condos and maybe a few houses for under $100. jupiter is still cheaper than california generally but you can still spend many millions locally if you wish waterfront or exclusive(like california). for best wavesailing, occasionallly(few times a year) driving a couple hours to the west coast or north can get you to an excellent day of sailing, but locally in jupiter we have an awesome combo of warmest water and air temps, strongest winds(we are on the corner with seabreeze boost effect adding to daily winds), and swell from the atlantic ocean as well as gulfstream effect swell. 5.4 is my biggest sail, 4.7 my most often used.. my big board is 95 freewave and 74jpwave is my more aggressive ride. i am 145lbs so adjust accordingly. sideshore north winds are blowing 20 sustained as i type 25 minutes to the north in stuart, and will be arriving at my jupiter beach any moment now... no waves yet.. low tide afternoon with winds becoming sideonshore here but 10 minutes south on singer island will be closer to sideshore with shallow sandbars to allow the windwaves to break. If you visit we will be more than happy to give you all the detailed sailing info you care to absorb.. i am more consistently posting and checking the yahoo ecfw website, if you want a certain reply, reach us there. Best wishes, john in jupiter
ringe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: encouraged about 4.7 Reply with quote

I'm encouraged about 4.7 being your most used sail. 4.7 is my most used out here in SF bay area. If I can get on my 84 ltr & 4.7 and chase waves on a regular basis I'll be a happy guy out there in the winter months.
Thanks for the useful info guys!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringe- Don't get too excited about floridawavesailor using a 4.7 a lot. When he's on that, most people are on 5.5 - 6.8 msq sails.

I weigh 160 lbs and my most commonly used sail in Fort Pierce is 6.6. Of course, TODAY I used a 4.7, and it was awesome, but that's just because today happened to be spectacular.

You can see the full stats on how windy it was and what stuff I used in 2009 here:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/01/2009-windsurfing-stats-obsession.html

Another thing about Jupiter- The water there is clear and luminous blue because of the Gulfstream. Around the space coast it's usually more brown or green. In the treasure coast (i.e. Fort Pierce) it's somewhere in between.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: