myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how to get more TOW with 85L?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obxaddict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: how to get more TOW with 85L? Reply with quote

So I have an 06 85L rrd fsw (carbon) and a 106L board. I have a gap in my fin quiver jumping from 23cm freewave to 32cm reaper. I realize the reaper may be a little too much for an 85L board.

I really want to get more time on the 85L this year. If I get at least 1 fin to fill this gap will I see better performance with bigger sails (5.8) and in gusty east coast conditions (lulls)? I've ridden my 106 with a 48cm free ride / 7.5 and it isn't bad at all. I sail formula and the 106 mostly on an inland lake so I'm typically heavy on the back foot anyway. Thanks for your thoughts.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seek side off wave sailing venues.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
obxaddict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a good point. I should add that I am not primarily a wave sailor. I mostly will be using the 85L in bump n jump in the sound. once i get really comfy on the 85 i'll be in the waves more.
motogon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move to Maui.
obxaddict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
Move to Maui.

also another great option. not quite cost effective as a fin though... Very Happy
bates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh?
That 23 cm fin should be fine once you learn to be lighter on the fin and use more even stance, at least in my opinion for an 85 ltr board. What sail size do you use up to on that board? I would assume like a 5.7 or so. When in a given day do you feel that the fin is too small?
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with bates.....bigger fin isn't going to get you more TOW with the 85

Make more deals with the boss, the wife/GF/BF, and get to the water more.
More sail and fin isn't going to do it as much as more time.

Schlog more on the 85 to get a feel for it, and sail the 106 more.....the 85 will become obvious...it's either on, or not

One of the main problems with windsurfing is that people love to jump down in board size ....it's a viscious loop of planing vs. not

And what's with the "back foot" thing.?....if you are going to get the 85 going, you will need to bear off and put your front foot down!

outcast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps.....
JE can prove that a 85 RRD FSW is not fin-dependant....you ought to see some of the contraptions he's put in the box, and still made it work jus fine

obxaddict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bates wrote:
How much do you weigh?
That 23 cm fin should be fine once you learn to be lighter on the fin and use more even stance, at least in my opinion for an 85 ltr board. What sail size do you use up to on that board? I would assume like a 5.7 or so. When in a given day do you feel that the fin is too small?

I'm 70kg. The issues typically occur in gusty conditions with deep lulls. Last time I was using a 4.7 and got pushed down wind due to lulls. When I'm gassed staying upwind is no issue. Wave sailing can have the lulls too.

MFC lists the 23cm for 3.5 to 4.5 sails.
http://www.mauifin.com/fin_info.php?id=22

I use the 85L board with 3.5 to 5.8 sails. I'd say I have the pumping on to the plane and bearing off to plane. Based on massive quantities of time schlogging on lakes and the sound I know bigger fins help that effort some. I was hoping adding some fin area would keep me stay on the plane longer without having to bear off straight down wind so often. Maybe even be able to drop back on sail size with a little extra fin. I have much to learn yet about shortboards.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Executive summary:
Crank up the power and the lateral resistance and trust your skills and harness.

Details:
23 cm is not even viable for me on anything larger than 65 liters and only when powered way up on a 3.2. IMO, 23 cm is a TINY fin meant primarily for little bitty people on little bitty boards in gales, or for DTL wave sailing where the sailing is primarily in a broad reach on relatively smooth surfaces, or for freestyling, or by my exceptionally skilled 240# B&J bud from Mars who runs 23 cm from 3.2 to 6.2 and doesn't care how much he planes; 50% suits him fine.

I care how much I plane. I want to plane 100% of the time, and at 195# I ride 80-85 liter boards a great deal unless the wind is steady enough for 65-75 liters. Here's how I keep my 80-85 liter boards wound tight in B&J conditions:

• I rig bigger than most other people -- much bigger than some -- my size and learn how to not just manage but thoroughly enjoy the extra power. If I’m not planing through most lulls and powered very strongly during the average winds, I rig bigger. I generally use from 0.5 to 1.5 meters (in the 3.0 to 5.0 wind range) more than most guys of various weights, and love it. My 8x liter boards are a blast with 4.2 to 6.2 sails, and a couple of them are great with a 3.x if the winds are too holey for smaller boards or too choppy for stiffer-riding boards.

• My fins for B&J on 8x liters range from 25 to 28 cm, and are fairly beefy (i.e, generous area … definitely not blades) wave or B&J fins. Area, not length, is what matters. Those silly little lower-20cm fins that come with wave boards are good for only four things: DTL wave sailing by people far more efficient than I, thrusters, solid 3.2 days (2.8 for other people) if I bother changing fins, or selling with the board.

• Let your harness carry the load. My knuckles would drag even worse if I sailed unhooked often.

And as Outcast sez ... TOW.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: