myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui car rental suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the observations and suggestions losescrew and keycocker. Looks like a minivan with a waterproof key, radio (and dents), brakes is winning the contest.

Whoever wants to add whatever, please do so.

This is YOUR new car rental company, feel free to shape it.

Thank you all.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something beat up with a/c, no stickers and tinted windows.
Windbomb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about airport pick-up and delivery? If you could store my gear while I am on the mainland and bring it to me loaded in my car when I arrive that would be a fantasy come true. Definitely need a van or wagon, a waterproof key, and a good sound system to complete the perfect ride.
mikecole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Edc711 may be onto something...

I like to rent from the small local companies that leave the cars in the lot with the key under the mat. This saves a LOT of time on arrival and gets me on the water right off the Jet. (I always take the morning LAX-OGG flights that arrive around 1:00pm).

The idea of offering gear storage could be a winning advantage for your new company. I would be most interested in a service like that!

Mike
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I went to Maui, we rented a house at Sprecs, but before we started our flight over, we called Hi Tec, told them what all we wanted, and where we were staying. So when we got to the house, everything was there, stacked up in the back yard, it was too sweet. Cool
And then on the afternoon we were leaving, they showed up with their van, and picked everything up. We never had to use our cars for taking any equipment anywhere, unless we wanted to sail somewhere else, but we didn't.
The only hitch, is I think you have to be renting a house, as opposed to a condo or hotel, for practical reasons. And you also have to be familiar with what they have to rent, and what you'll need.
And I always take my own harness, nothing else, the harness is a personal thing that grows on you.

But this doesn't really address the OP's question. So because we had this kind of setup, one of my buddies in our group rented an "Eldo", we went out to dinner in style.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious wrote:
Shuttle is an idea, I will look into that. Does anybody else support a shuttle solution?

I want flexibility. I usually don't know what I'm going to do or where I'll do it until I'm done, what I do and where I do it depends on the wind, and we don't know what the wind will do on a given day until my stomach starts growling "Supper, Doofus ... SUPPER!" Unless by "shuttle" you mean "chauffeur" AND "10 minutes, tops", give me the keys and my own wheels every time. Time's-a-wastin, and Island time is expensive stuff.

I PROMISE I'll rent a Jeep for my Hana trip. Wink

And don't overlook the prime requirement: white.

Mike \m/
curious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just getting better and better!
Thank you for all the suggestions.

edc711 - great idea, how long do you come to Maui for at a time and per year? I would gladly offer this service if the numbers work out. I can imagine you land, get in the car, sail all you want, leave the car and gear, get on the plane, leave and when you come back everything is ready for you again. This may appeal to many people I guess.

mikecole - you like to pick up the car at the airport and save time this way - this can be arranged, no problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

nw30 - looks like you are describing great gear renting experience from Hi-Tec. I will keep that in mind and recommend them, if someone is asking.

isobars - thanks for exploring the shuttle possibility. Here, people who windsurf stay anywhere between Kihei and Haiku, with beaches along the way: Kanaha, Sprecks, Hookipa. It would be more like an hour ride, if there are a few people to pick up in Haiku and they want to go to Kanaha. The driving time alone is 30 minutes. So from the windsurfer's perspective it would be: load the gear, get in the shuttle, ride for about an hour, unload at the beach, sail, get picked up, ride home, maybe talk to other windsurfers on the way, make friends, exchange stories. This may bring people together, windsurfing is very individualistic sport, you are on your own most of the time and by yourself on the water. The trade off is - you do not have to drive, burn gas, you can sleep in the shuttle, maybe windsurf more because of that, but flexibility is limited. It would be good for someone who sails one spot and has a predictable schedule. For those who want to make decisions as they go, the car rental is probably better. Thank you for the input.

Why white?

I am getting that the size is important, most of the people mention vans or wagons, keys, radio, dents, AC.

Thank you all.

Please feel free to add or repeat something if it resonates with what you want.

Last edited by curious on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
flaherty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, a minivan is best. Ac is a must, other than that could care less
about the options. Since Al west and the others have all merged, I think you have a market. They have good service, but pricey now. I'm going back in May
so pm me if you have a minivan available.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious wrote:
Why white?

So the snow don't show.

Barring that, to keep the interior 50-80 degrees cooler. By the time AC overcomes an interior solar-heat-soaked to 160-200 degrees F in a dark vehicle, you're dehydrated, fricking FURIOUS, dead, and/or already at your destination. I've lived in wet or dry hot climates for > 60 years, and will own nothing but white. The difference is amazing, but not surprising.

Mike \m/
curious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaherty, thanks for the suggestions. Minivan with AC. I will let you know what I have when we get closer to May.
Isobar - good point, almost forgot about the snow... , take it for granted here. Yes, the difference in temperature may be significant, you are right. I have one white car as of now, will focus on that aspect when buying.

Thanks!

I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep'em coming!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: