myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui car rental suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sun problem is mostly a Kihei thing. It is often unpleasantly hot there. My friends and I almost all have dark colored vans we bought secondhand and don't have or use AC in our homes or cars because we live on the Northshore or upcountry.In spite of the advantages few vans are white here, but many vehicles have damaged roofs from sun and salt.Painting the roof only with a roofing product like Snow White solves that. Most minivans have a long version that costs no more as a used car, drives the same and can keep the backseat in with gear.Al West used to store your gear for you and always did the find it in the airport lot-leave it in the lot thing. Flights often run late or arrive in the evening. Any other method of getting the car is a hassle.
Don't forget to have a 24hr phone service when they wreck or break down and be ready to go out in the night to help.A tourist with a breakdown near Hana will have no choice but to tow back to his condo in Kihei if he can't reach you. He will present you with a $800 tow bill and want a new car delivered by dinner.That basic service requires two 24 hr employees in two cars to drop one off.

You can make money supplying a package with gear in a deal with an outfit like Hot Sails near Kanaha and the airport.
curious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keycoker, thanks a lot!
You gave me great info. Seems like airport delivery and pickup are important. Good point about the towing and repairs. I may get in touch with Hot Sails and see if they are interested in cooperation.

I appreciate the detailed info.

Everybody!
Feel free to post anything!

All comments and suggestions are welcome.
prevett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways to go: a "boards inside vehicle" or "boards on roof vehicle". I agree that a minivan is a good choice for the boards inside vehicle. For boards on roof vehicle, I usually rent the cheapest car I can find that has rear seats which fold forwards, allowing long stuff in the trunk to run into the passenger compartment. For sails, boom, mast, I just open the trunk and slide them in.
curious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prevett, you summarized it pretty well. I see a minivan, station wagon or a sedan with folding seats and roof racks. The word "cheap" repeats itself, seems like price and functionality is more important than looks.
Thanks a lot!

Great Windsurfers of the World!
What else would you like to see in YOUR NEW MAUI CAR RENTAL COMPANY?

Feel free to add anything.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airport pickup in parking lot is very important! A/C, racks, ice chest, airport dropoff for the morning sesh. No line, like they have at Alamo would get you alot of business.

Airport pickup, even mid day gets me on the water by 1:30 or 2 instead of 3 pm. (last week Alamo line was 1 hour)
curious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard, that is good stuff you are talking about. Airport service to save time wasted in lines and spend it on the water instead. If you arrive in the afternoon, it can mean an extra day of windsurfing. Got it. Good point. Ice chest is a new item on the list, will keep it in mind.
Thank you for the ideas.

Who else would like to shape their future as far as the car rental goes and contribute?

Also, feel free to let me know if you agree with the previous posts and repeat what you think is the most important, this will reinforce the information.

Thanks
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leave- the- key- under- the- mat thing has a not so obvious advantage that can give you a competitive edge.
It is charming.
The first minute you arrive in Maui is the end of a long trip of being processed and standing in lines. Everyone smiles when they hear that the key is under the mat out in the public lot. It feels friendly, like having your carefree brother-in-law leave you his car. That kind of service is the best Maui thing. Not "service with a(phony) smile" but "service that makes me have a (real) smile."
A note on the wheel that says"Slow down -you in Maui now" is way better than "Please Drive Carefully" and so on.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
I would be interested in a PAGANI ZONDA R with roof racks of course.
This would allow me to go from point A to B rather quickly.
A must in maui.

Look they work well even in the rain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHjq4us480

What do you think?????
I will rent from you for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

It already comes with a rack, right on the back end. You put the boards on sideways, however.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A/C? That's funny. Maui has some of the most enjoyable weather I have seen anywhere.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
A/C? That's funny. Maui has some of the most enjoyable weather I have seen anywhere.

Except for the previous 2 months of Kona doldrums and vog from the big island volcano.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: