myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui car rental suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss, If I start renting those, please make sure you secure your boards, I've heard they may fly off once you hit 200mph...

Scottwerden, looks like AC is not the top priority for you. It is good to know. Maybe a few cars without AC can be rented out at a lower rate as well.

Stevenbard, you must have AC, it is good to know too. Windsurfers know what they want. Noboddy mentions looks, seems like price, space, AC, radio, dents, roof racks, airport service are important.

Is anybody interested in pick-up trucks? Two people + lots of equipment ?

Thanks.
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Quiet vehicles that don't leak fluids... Reply with quote

On thing that may not be so obvious in terms of rental vehicles would be ones that don't leak oil. I've had friends rent from various discount (not name brand) car rental companies and some of the older vehicles leaked a surprising amount of fluids (maybe oil).

If you're staying somewhere nice, you don't want to responsible for cleaning up oil stains on somebody's driveway. Relatively quiet is another nice thing. You don't want a screeching timing belt every time you start the car, regardless of what neighborhood you're in.

Another thing you don't want is to be dealing with a car breaking down on your vacation.

One slight disadvantage of the super big vehicles is that they can be a bit difficult to park in Paia and other places. It's not a huge problem, like it could be in San Francisco, but it's something to consider.

And on the topic of pickup trucks, I used to have a E-150 van and I sold it for a Tundra Extra Cab. It's much nicer driving in a car without the gear rattling around. However, after changing to a truck, I noticed that I was much more reluctant to drive around with lots of gear in my truck, and ended up spending much more time sailing in my backyard. Having had gear ripped off from me when I lived in Boston, and having had my bicycle stolen in San Francisco, I'm also cautious about having gear stolen, so I just don't feel that comfortable leaving too much in the back of my truck. That said, I've never worried about having an extra surfboard in the back of my truck while surfing at Hookipa, but if I go to eat in Paia, I put the board in the cab. That would not be so easy with windsurfing gear! On the other hand, maybe windsurfing gear never gets stolen and my mainland theft phobia is irrational?

Another factor is rain on the north shore. Having tons of soaking wet windsurfing gear is probably not ideal.

Overall, I think a mini-van for a couple or a full size van for more than 2 is idea for a windsurfing multi-sport vacation. That way, no matter where you go, you've always got the right gear. You could go surf or SUP at Kanaha before 11am, take a lunch with you, and be ready to windsurf at noon before the crowd gets there.

It's been windy in Maui every day...

Aloha,

Justin
http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
curious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justingordon, good points! Obviously the cars must be dependable and with no leaks, this is good for the renter, the landlord and for me, I do not want anybody to damage the engine because of not enough oil or coolant in the car. Squeaky belts can be a wake-up call for the whole neighborhood if someone decides to take this 7am yoga class.
Thanks for the input on the pick-up trucks, the gear is not as safe as in a closed vehicle and it may get wet if it rains.

BTW, it is a nice place you have in Sprecks.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious wrote:
Is anybody interested in pick-up trucks? Two people + lots of equipment ?

Do you provide the Rottweilers?

I wouldn't leave a used Kleenex in a vehicle there, locked or unlocked. I never even carried a wallet when driving to the shore to sail. When I rent a car there, I add a cheap alarm.

Mike \m/
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Safety in Maui? Reply with quote

isobars wrote
Quote:

I wouldn't leave a used Kleenex in a vehicle there, locked or unlocked. I never even carried a wallet when driving to the shore to sail. When I rent a car there, I add a cheap alarm.

Ummm...Pit Bulls is much more the norm out here.

Isobars, have you had any thefts? Most of the the thefts I've heard of come from leaving things like purses on car seats when going hiking in a remote spot. Otherwise, Maui is probably as safe as it gets. Still, you need some common sense. For example, right now there's a miss woman that went camping alone in a place well known to be home to many homeless.

Many houses in Maui still never lock any doors, and parking in Maui is still WAY safer than parking in San Francisco or any other big city.

Aloha,

Justin
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety in Maui? Reply with quote

justingordon wrote:
isobars wrote
Quote:

Ummm...Pit Bulls is much more the norm out here.

Justin

Yeah seeing a pit bull standing on top of a big pile of gear in the back of a P/U, glaring at you as you walk past is scary stuff. Nobody in his right mind is gonna go near that.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety in Maui? Reply with quote

justingordon wrote:
Isobars, have you had any thefts? ... Maui is probably as safe as it gets.

Not personally, but friends have. I always left my rental car windows open to prevent broken windows, and I've never left anything in or on a car to be stolen since my buds saw the following operation there. A van rolls slowly down a residential street after dark until it nears a vehicle with WS boards on top. A passenger hops out and starts cutting tie-down straps. My buds headlight 'em and honk, and they split. The cops explain to my buds later that this a common scene. The thieves have piles of board boxes in the back of the van, pre-addressed and ready to throw on a plane to Asia or the U.S. mainland within the hour. Cops also told us not to leave gear on our upstairs balconies, because thieves scale the walls, throw your gear down, and it's gone.

I've also had buds awaken in the middle of the night to find intruders in the condo. (Sure wish somebody had tried that on my last trip, when we had about 10 guys sleeping all over the floor and furniture.)

Mike \m/
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: The better to rent somewhere with offstreet (gated) parking Reply with quote

Wow!

Quote:
The cops explain to my buds later that this a common scene. The thieves have piles of board boxes in the back of the van, pre-addressed and ready to throw on a plane to Asia or the U.S. mainland within the hour. Cops also told us not to leave gear on our upstairs balconies, because thieves scale the walls, throw your gear down, and it's gone.

This is news to me as well! It's best then to rent somewhere with plenty of gated off-street parking so you and your gear can sleep safely at night! I really do like the feeling of "home" when I hit my electric gate operator as I pull up to my place.

Aloha,

Justin
acctx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet vehicles that don't leak fluids... Reply with quote

justingordon wrote:

And on the topic of pickup trucks, I used to have a E-150 van and I sold it for a Tundra Extra Cab. It's much nicer driving in a car without the gear rattling around. However, after changing to a truck, I noticed that I was much more reluctant to drive around with lots of gear in my truck, and ended up spending much more time sailing in my backyard. Having had gear ripped off from me when I lived in Boston, and having had my bicycle stolen in San Francisco, I'm also cautious about having gear stolen, so I just don't feel that comfortable leaving too much in the back of my truck.

Aloha,

Justin

There are straps you can buy with inside a nylon strap and a lock. You can tie down your equipment in such a way that it cant be moved without cutting the metal straps. I use this in my truck. Ratchet down the board on top of everything else and it will deter the casual grab and run.

This plus insurance lets me leave my stuff in comfort.
curious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the great comments!

Feeding a hungry pit-bull may double the price of the car rental, so... I guess no pick-up trucks.

Acctx, where can I get those racks? Can you send me a link or point me in a right direction? These can be useful on a 4-door sedans. Thanks.

What else?

Is there anything that the car rental company should NOT do or NOT have. I know the lines are a waste of time. Anything else? Something that others do, but is useless, annoying, to avoid etc.?

I greatly appreciate what all of you wrote, this helps a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: