myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Reply with quote

Anyone considering a little "cold" windsurf at the lake?

Temp today 45 water must be what 35? thus the 80 rule could apply ? surviving cold must add to 80, I read that somewhere on a wetsuit post.

See winds today? awesome...

I'm crazy enough to go up there, I was gonna head to C street but not looking so good (next weekend), any ideas for C next weekend, Let me know as week goes by, would prefer the warmer C climate

thanks, Max

Last edited by madmax7 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I always used the 100 rule.

Steve
windiac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake R was a good time. 4 of us were out with 6.5ishes. Beautiful snow covered Sierras as a back drop.
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Lake I Reply with quote

hey ann,

6.5ish? or 6 and 5ish? the wind seemed to be 15 to 30, you needed a 6.5?

Max
windiac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.3, 6.5, 6.6, and 8.0. Had a 5.5 rigged hoping . . . Coach G took the shot.

P3130049[1].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  722.93 KB
 Viewed:  18204 Time(s)

P3130049[1].JPG

WindSapien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Lake I sailing Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the water temp is at the lake right now but I can tell you we had snow here two days last week.
The water is on the rise and it looks like we may have a good year water wise if the powers that be allow the lake to rise to the 60% level they have mandated for seismic safety. We have had a turn in the weather in the last couple of days . The air temp is in the 70's right now which means lots of snow melt.
So far I haven't seen any sailors on the lake in months. I live just about a half a mile from the lake but I don't go there every day. I would say if the warming trend stays and the wind starts to turn from it's predominately Northerly direction this time of year we could start sailing again soon . Usually by March I have already been sailing . This year is a little different with "El Nino". Either way a lot of rubber is needed if you want to sail right now.
The Forestry and the Lake Patrol will be out in force this year. It would be a good idea to get your board permits and camping/day use permits if you are going to use the lake. There has been much going on politically in regards to the lake usage and they will be checking permits this year.The new regs require lake users to pay year round now . Not seasonally as in the past. The permit is $50 a year with a second vehicle pass available for another $10. This is for camping or day use. You can still pay daily $10 but if you come here frequently the yearly pass is a better deal.And yes you can still park next to the water at the Auxillary Dam area and at the Old Isabella Rd area (aka) "The Ghetto".
Anytime the lake fees and board permits are mentioned it sparks lots of opinion and anger. Do as you wish . I don't really give a hoot. I'm just passing along some info that might save you some grief.
Here's wishing you all a great season and with the economy in the can I hope we can get some stress relief on the water.
WS
alexw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lake I-sabella Reply with quote

I'll see you all in "May gray" and/or "June gloom" when it's warm up there, and cold, miserable calm down here Smile
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you all talking about Lake Isabella? its not as bad as all that! I've been out 6 times so far this year, as has someone in a dark red pickup truck. 60degs air is my cutoff and we had that a few times. Keep in mind that iwindsurf's thermometer reads way low, at times by 12-15 degrees. Water was 52 last time I measured a week back. 'tis certainly not warm, but not gasping-for-air-freezing, either.
With fishermen wall to wall both at the Aux Dam as well as the Ghetto already, I'll go enjoy the wildflowers next couple of weeks instead of trying to windsurf, though. The poppies are out in the canyon already, and it promises to be extra pretty this spring, what with all the rain we had.
Eva
crashman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's lake R? That looks like the desolation peaks in the background-Pyramid, Price, and Agaziz- so I was thinking Folsom? But there's no R in Folsom. But I think there'd be more foothills if it were looking east across folsom, so I gots no idea...
madmax7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Reply with quote

No idea where Lake R is, and don't know about pic.

I was talking about Lake Isabella, so thanks Eva and windsapien for update.

It doesn't seem to be shaping up yet for Lake I, but at least it appears it will have water.

Eva what 's with the fishermen? is there a tournament going on ? usually its not packed with fishermen.

THanks, Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: