myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
User Friendly Wave Sailing-- Nor Cal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Dan that was a great post you did after the Oct PSC trip.

And it is so true, San Carlos is THE place to learn. You just get so many tries at it in a single day without worrying about crowds, rocks, sharks, getting back upwind, or even waves munching your gear.

There are a lot of places to go hack away at some waves but if you want to really learn you gotta try San Carlos.

I am in Maui right now, its nice and warm and all, but I still cant wait to head to San Carlos on the 1st. Yeeeee Haaaaw

Wyatt

IS0G0084.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.6 MB
 Viewed:  6678 Time(s)

IS0G0084.jpg

madmax7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: recommend a trainer n Maui?? Reply with quote

Hey guys

Headed to Maui in May and could use a wave instructor in Maui, and you know, I've found that the right person can make a world of difference in your learning experience.

I'm a good intermediate sailor, tacks, jibes etc, Just no experience in waves and as much as I would love to go to PSC, it will have to wait for now (the idea of commiting an entire week to such a remote place...).

Anyways, Maui for now and could use a competent instructor to teach me some wave activity.

Max
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Max,

Matt Prichard had been doing a lot of teaching out here in Maui. Not sure his rates but he is definitely one of the best instructors out here.

Check out www.prichardwindsurfing.com

Wyatt
kirk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Maui Instruction and renting Reply with quote

Hey Max
I'll second what Wyatt said about Matt Pritchard.
I rented from him when I was there and the gear was top notch and what he selected for me was perfect for my size and ability. I planned to take a lesson from him but it was just too out of control most of the time that the reasonable days I worked on getting experience jibing in and catching the Kanaha waves on my own and was not comfortable enough, long enough for a lesson. I'm sure it would have helped if I could have picked a time the wind waves were reasonable rather than nukin. This time of year, Maui is a risk that it will be out of control windy with big waves that puts most mortals in survival mode (or many just don't bother trying). Summer is supposed to be far more consistent and better for learning but then you might not get any wave action.

This time of year when it was really windy, the Gorge sailors seemed to get out past the waves and sail outside in the big swells so the waves were not crowded to learn/practice except on the weekend when it was crowded and bodies were down everywhere. It also seemed the really good wave sailors would do the smart thing and get upwind to get away from us wave beginners.

Of course, the best wave sailors were at Hookipa. I found my skills really improve after I watch them as if by osmosis.

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Matt's intruction and San Carlos - The Best Reply with quote

Matt Pritchard is great for instruction. His clinic at San Carlos was incredibly effective at getting me and others going on the waves. Well organized and well thought out approach that works.

I've tried Maui a bunch of times for waves but its really been hard for me to find waves and wind at the same time there. San Carlos was a much better place for me to learn. I think your odds for wind with waves are much better there than Maui. SoloSports does a great job and, if you can swing it, I think a week there with Matt is the best way to get your wave stuff working.

And if you prefer, Wyatt also does a great job of instruction and people who spent a week with him at San Carlos were very happy.

On the other hand, for bikinis on the beach and all the comforts of California, Maui can't be beat. Gotta go for what you really want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: