myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how many days of sailing to expect in may/june in so cal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acctx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: how many days of sailing to expect in may/june in so cal? Reply with quote

Im going to so cal for a month (I may do 2 weeks in norcal) from around May 10 to Jun 10 and I was wondering what kind of wind conditions I can expect and if cabrillo is the most consistent spot?

I dont mind driving to Leo if it makes sense, but Im staying in OC so cabrillo seems better.

Is the wind gusty or pretty consistent when it is up?
fesotelo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you are staying in OC your best bet is Sunset Beach, Seal Beach and Belmont Shores. Winds in May and beginnig of June are for most part better than Cabrillo this time of the year.

If the wind is not >16mph at Pier J go mountain biking. When there is wind you can expect 14-18 mph at these spots in a typical day.
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mar and April are the two best months in OC; Seal and Sunset are the places to launch. It was averaging 21 today at Seal with shoulder high waves on the best sets...just a typical, awesome spring day. By mid May the notorious "May Gray" takes over, followed by the "June Gloom." This is a condition where a heavy marine fogs coats the beach and shuts off the wind. I usually go to Hawaii in June just to avoid this soup. By mid-July the heat has melted the marine fog and Cabrillo starts to go off, with many 20 mph days. Unfortunately at this point Long Beach and OC heat too hot for good thermals in OC--the heat creeps out to the beach and the wind at Seal shuts down as quickly as it starts. So from mid-July to mid-September Cabrillo (or Leo Carillo) is the choice.

If you don't have to work in the afternoons you can expect to score 15 or so days a month in So Cal from March thru Jun; July through Sept have 20 to 25 windy days per month.

--ck

ps: windy=wind ave>16+

pps: source for all of this is 10+ years worth of wind logs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: