myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Surfer friendly accomondation in SF Bay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfmoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Surfer friendly accomondation in SF Bay Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I will be spending a couple of weeks in SF and I have to take my gear to check out the conditions. So far we are having a hard time to find a nice place to stay. It should be close to SF (and public transport into the city), but also have a place to leave our car (we can pay for it, but it shouldn`t cost more than the place we stay in Wink). So, do you know any nice place to stay in the area or do you have useful links? Thanks Smile
victor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean surfing or windsurfing?

There's a Day's Inn on Sloat Blvd. by the zoo which is 2-3 blocks from Ocean Beach. Easy access to the rest of the City and plenty of public transport. Oceanview Motel is at the other end of the beach and is nicer. Great Highway Inn is probably the cheapest. There are half a dozen other places along the Great Highway. Personally never stayed in any of them.

Ocean Beach is not the easiest place to surf but plenty of hardy souls do. Better breaks down south and there are a lot of hotels on Hwy 1. Check around Pacifica if you need to be close to SF.
victor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant Seal Rock Inn is the nicer one.
Surfmoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing.. and of accommondation.. not accomondation Wink
Thanks for the tips, I will check them out. Others are of course very welcomed...
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Best Western Coyote Pt motel is nice and is close to Coyote Pt and 3rd Ave yet only 20 minutes or so from downtown.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfmoe,

You might check out the "Park 'n Fly" hotels around SFO airport on the internet. Some are very near Coyote Point, a good place to sail, and they have car parking as they are set up for people who fly out of SFO and need a place to leave their car. Plus you may be able to use their shuttle to and from the airport which would let you catch BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) into the city.

When you sail Crissy (in the city) you will probably drive to that location, but there is plenty of parking. Sailing there gives you great views of the City, the Marin Headlands, the Golden Gate, Angel Island and the Berkeley hills.

Wave sailing is available with a drive down the coast to Waddell or Davenport.

Windward1
derekd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice? rent an RV it will be cheaper than the rates for all of the above. Then you can go anywhere.
greytwhyte

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when you're planning your trip, your budget, or taste but you might want to check out the Cow Hollow Motor Inn. It's at Steiner and Lombard in the Marina district of SF. It's 3 minutes to Crissy Field. The restaurants and shops of Chestnut Street are 1 block. Restaurants and shops of Union Street 3 blocks. It's a short bus or cab ride to Ghiradelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Etc.

They have free covered parking. Rates vary depending on the time of the trip. I have never personally stayed there but my Mum used to when she would come for a visit. She never complained. It's not fancy but the rooms seem clean and comfortable. SF has lots of smaller hotel/motels that you could investigate and negotiate. The airport suggestions are also good.

Good luck and have a great trip.
allen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stayed at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn and it has decent rooms and a killer location. There are also plenty of hotels/motels on Lombard or a couple of blocks up between Lombard and Union that are adequate and have free parking. The Marina is the best area to stay in the city b/c you have convenient access to everything including the restaurants of North Beach, museums etc south of Market and, of course, a short drive to Crissy Field. The hotels around the airport are not a good idea b/c you have to drive to get anywhere whereas if you stay in the city you can walk or cab or bike it everywhere.

Best time for a visit is July/August, you can drive out to Rio in the AM and then head back for lunch and a late Crissy session.
kcorr1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embassy Suites Burlingame has free parking, above average wind, killer bay view, muddy launch no extra charge at low tide. They get you in the bar and restaurant. car or bike is handy for cheap eats in Millbrae and Burlingame. It's a long way to Crissy and sherman island by car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: