myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pyramid Lake
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Pyramid Lake Reply with quote

Pyramid Lake, Sand Hole Beech on Sunday. No wind until 4:00pm. Southwest wind started to pick up and it was 0-10 with few gusts around 15-20. I was lucky to catch one gust after 30 min. of floating around. One run at 25.74 knots on isonic 122 with 7.5 sail. That was it.
Just as I got out and put all gear in my car, wind picked up and started to blow hard and consistent. 30+ at least. It was 6:00pm and starting to get really cold with offshore wind and no one around, so I decided to watch white caps for ten minutes and left.
I think this place has some potential. Sand Hole beech is very nice spot, probably best spot on southwest side. Next time I will explore southeast side....

crashman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Sand Hole? I've been to Warrior Point on a SW. Gusty but good-huge swell. I think we put away the windsurfing gear after a while and just surfed. I think people sail the south end on a North wind...
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that Pyramid Lake is pretty much all that's left of the HUGE Lake Lahontan that existed 10,000 years ago (the last ice age). And that it is a sink; that is; that the water has no way out, so just evaporates there, causing the salinity to rise so that it is 1/6 the salinity of sea water.

From Wiki; The lake has about 10% of the area of the Great Salt Lake, but it has about 25% more volume. The salinity is approximately 1/6th that of sea water.

Still, it's of little use to windsurfers and is more frustrating than any thing else. Trust me, I live nearby.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and my dogs love it.
tramontana00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashman wrote:
Where's Sand Hole? I've been to Warrior Point on a SW. Gusty but good-huge swell. I think we put away the windsurfing gear after a while and just surfed. I think people sail the south end on a North wind...

Sand Hole is approximately 13 miles south from Warrior Point, just below Indian Head. The beach is big and clean and I can see how North wind would be great. West or southwest wind is probably gusty but if you are looking for good speed run this could be the place. That is what I was after on Sunday. It almost worked out, too bad wind came in so late...

tramontana00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Still, it's of little use to windsurfers and is more frustrating than any thing else. Trust me, I live nearby.

It's just nice to be there. Clear water, sand, room for kids and dogs...
I think it's good alternative spot. For example, on Sunday Pyramid was only place that didn't have rain forecast. So, why not try. It almost worked out and even if there is no wind it's good place to be. Next time I'll bring fishing gear just in case...

One of these days I'll score few good speed runs there!

martyrosse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've camped at Hell's Kitchen in the NE corner of the lake in late August. Was a great place to swim, drink beer and play frisbee golf. Have since really wanted to windsurf from that spot. Seems like it would get great swell on a SW or S, but would be good from almost any direction but east. Quite private. Fairly long drive in/out. Would love to hear more reports from sailing at Pyramid Lake!

pyramid_map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.43 KB
 Viewed:  30951 Time(s)

pyramid_map.jpg

gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a sink hole. You can launch from Hell's Kitchen or Spider Point. At least Needles is off limits -- can't risk catching AIDS. Sand Hole has flucky potential. And there's Blockhead - I mean house beach for all those with nothing better to do. Dogs like to piss there.

Sounds like a winner! You know your a windsurfer if a beach born in Hell seems like a good time. Sail on, dude!
tramontana00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Its a sink hole. You can launch from Hell's Kitchen or Spider Point. At least Needles is off limits -- can't risk catching AIDS. Sand Hole has flucky potential. And there's Blockhead - I mean house beach for all those with nothing better to do. Dogs like to piss there.

Sounds like a winner! You know your a windsurfer if a beach born in Hell seems like a good time. Sail on, dude!

Looks like you are very familiar with this location. What's up with Needles anyway? What is there?

crashman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a geyser. It is a sacred site for the Pyramid LAke PAiute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: