myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

a a a a

Last edited by faradroka1 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Good you were there! Those rocks are nasty, too bad he didn't have a helmet. Hope he's ok.
I'll take a good catapult anytime over that.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, I just saw a short video w/ Naish talking about how much the kites have improved in the last 5 years, making it possible to really surf a wave. I was in Kuai at the time, where there are no windsurfing kits for rent and was pissing myself at all the great conditions. I surfed and SUP'd instead, but was thinking 'you know traveling with a kite would be so much easier than traveling with windsurfing gear, I should probably try it.' 'It looks fun and I could probably pick it up pretty quickly.' 'The new kites are supposed to be so much safer, etc.'

Every time I begin to think this way, I hear about another kiter either killing or braining himself and quickly come to my senses. Who needs it if you live in the Bay Area. Now if I lived in LA???...

Hey Gregor - want to explain in all capitals why you don't Kite? Your the best moaner on the boards. I love your stuff and you never cease to remind me why I left LA. Really Gregor, I do love your stuff. Rip me a good one, but rip the kiters a bigger one!
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:

Every time I begin to think this way, I hear about another kiter either killing or braining himself and quickly come to my senses. Who needs it if you live in the Bay Area. Now if I lived in LA???...

Last year I counted seven kiters dead, just by reading occasional news reports between Europe and here ... it is a dangerous sport which is made even more so by people that are in denial of its dangers.

Rock climbing is also very dangerous, but at least rock climbers are very well aware ...

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I came in today at the restaurant cuz the wind was dying and going North at the docks, and I saw a kite bar suspended from the trees and was thinking WTF? Now I know.

Scary!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
tswei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tree catching and de-powering his kite may have saved his life, as without it, his second impact would've been against the restaurant Shocked

after witnessing this firsthand, I am completely and forever cured of any interest in kiting.

Tony
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about posting inflammatory statements on this website regarding kiting. Some of them tend to troll these forums looking for controversy in a never ending quest to "cancel windsurfing"

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8276

And no kiters, we don't hate you, but we are concerned for our safety and continued access at all these sites.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Hey Gregor - want to explain in all capitals why you don't Kite?

Gregor does kite.
Ollie_G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Be careful about posting inflammatory statements on this website regarding kiting. Some of them tend to troll these forums looking for controversy in a never ending quest to "cancel windsurfing"

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8276

And no kiters, we don't hate you, but we are concerned for our safety and continued access at all these sites.

Hi Guys,

I run the BayAreaKiteboarding forum. First, thanks to the original posters help in assisting this kiter. We don't yet know who it was, but your help is appreciated. Obviously he did something wrong to put himself in danger resulting in some injury.

Most kiters here have a windsurfing past, and most of us are stoked to enjoy the wind and water among all watersports. No one here at BAK or on the bay has ever been out to "cancel windsurfing", I think Real Kiteboarding came up with that, not one their best PR moves, right? No one is trolling either, it's just some kiters actually do still windsurf, and some are still interested in windsurfing.

At this site, the regulars who kite here are always on the lookout for new faces on the beach and to make sure their skills are up for the site. We go on about this all the time on threads like this:

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=842

Anyway, always good to see you guys ripping it up out there and smiles on the water, and thanks for your help with this kiter who got hurt!

Ollie
BayAreaKiteboarding
human_catapult

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie,

This year I've seen some pretty irresponsible stuff going on by kiters who not only lacked the skill, but didn't know they lacked the skill for certain situations.

Holding on to huge kites with big storm clouds coming and wearing shorty wetsuits when the air + water temp was below 100F are a couple situations that come to mind within the last few months.

Because we're also wind/water users, we helplessly watch sometimes as guys risk their lives realizing our fate as launch-users is tied to their sometimes irresponsible decisions.

This isn't to say I don't see windsurfers doing things occasionally that I think are unwise, but the situational risks tend be much lower with windsurfing. That's why you sometimes see threads like this where you sense a level of tension from windsurfers in forums like these.

aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: