myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
River closed from The Dalles to Rowena
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a diesel spill this AM on the I-5 bridge..... another 50-200 gallons of toxic crap in the Columbia River... wow, isn't this sweet ??

DANG....... SAVE OUR PLANET !!!!!!!!

btw, I've been sailing WAY out east all week, so I've only been exposed to all the CRAP from Tri-Cities (isobars) so, I'm really, really really glad that's been treated.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these sites actually closed? Or is it just suggested not to be in the water and the standard "Please do not drink the crappy Columbia water"....no pun intended.
CGW2

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

We're looking into what the impact is if you were in the water after the leak, and will let you know as soon as we find out. Symptoms to watch out for are stomach cramps, diarrhea, or infections- if you were in the water and experience any of these, call your doctor.

The first press release was dated April 29th, and didn't get to us until Friday morning. We got the word out as soon as we heard.

The DEQ determined no public health threat downriver of Rowena as a result of this incident.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Hazards Reply with quote

Don't expect the responsible authorities to spoon-feed you safety notices, postings, etc. Thank you CGWA for posting here. HUGE help as I do not want to snuggle with Mr. Hanky anymore than I already DO in the river.

Another major hazard on the river: fish nets. With current, wind, and swell, it is EASY to get churned into a net, especially at western section of THE WALL. I got stuck briefly 2x on Thursday. For this reason, I recommend Rufus instead of the Wall right now. Of course, a medium to large lock-blade knife or a snorkel knife is not a bad idea to carry in case you are in real trouble with a net.

Thank you again, CGWA, for posting the bacteria warning.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss204/hoffmoe/mr-hanky-howdy-ho.gif
CGW2

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: e coli updates- still not in the clear Reply with quote

Hi Windsurfers-

Here is the latest information from a press release issued by the City of The Dalles Public Works:

The City of The Dalles Wastewater Treatment Plant is improving but is not yet back in compliance after a recent plant upset that has resulted in discharge to the river of treated wastewater exceeding the plant's limit for E. coli. Efforts continued through the weekend and the samples being taken every four hours are showing improvement.

Go east again today, and hope for clear(er) water tomorrow.
CGW2

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: E coli not a concern anymore Reply with quote

Hi Windsurfers-

Looks like Rowena and Doug's are in the clear! Here's the latest from the City of The Dalles press release:

The discharge from the City of The Dalles Wastewater Treatment Plant to the Columbia River was back in compliance with permit limits for E. coli as of early Tuesday morning. The sample taken at 2:19am on May 4 was within limits for an individual sample and for an average of five samples. The delay in reading out the test results is due to the 24-hour incubation time that the test requires.

Samples of the plant's treated effluent will continue to be tested more frequently than required for the following week. Sign which were placed at locations of public river access to warn of contaminated water will be taken down today.
Divo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Doug's today, the contaminated water warning signs have been removed. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: