myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tragedy at The Stick today
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Tragedy at The Stick today Reply with quote

I am so sorry to say. We lost one of the best sailing comrades ever. Jackie, the nice lady that drove the van and organized the BBQs was brought ashore unconscious. I cannot say her condition, only that the EMT were unable to revive her. It happened suddenly. One minute she was out having the time of her life, the next I see someone swimming to the beach with her. Even if you don't know who she was find it in yourself to say a pray for Jackie. Asked the Ambulance Driver and he said she is going to SF General. They would tell me nothing on the phone. Not even if she was there. She was a real gem. First rate person.

Hats off to the young man that rescued her. He swam easily 1/4 through strong winds and ebb currents and got her ashore. He kept her head above water the whole way. I never met him but its nice knowing we have sailors like that around.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so strange & sad how life can change in just a blink of an eye. Prayers and peace to all her friends and family....
dougapepper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about this. very sad. please update us on her condition and cause, if you get the info.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, it was a totally crazy situation. I was changing out of my wetsuit when i heard people screaming. i looked out on the water and initially thought two windsurfers had collided and were yelling at each other, but it was actually Juan swimming Jacqui ashore, who he had found floating face down and unconscious some 50-100 feet off shore. Pedro also helped swim her in, and I saw Russ, who is an ER doctor and in street clothes having just arrived, so I made him aware of the situation. We got her on shore and Russ and Juan performed CPR for several minutes while Matt checked her pulse. She looked lifeless, her eyes were open, and she was foaming at the mouth.

The paramedics arrived and were able to get her heart going again, and her vital signs were strong at last report. It sounded like she was still unconscious, and brain damage is a real possibility. Looks like she had been down for at least two minutes before Juan noticed her. Very creepy that Aaron was filming Juan, and her sail is down in the frame on two consecutive clips.

Luckily for her, Juan found her, ditched his gear, and swam her to shore. It was also very fortunate that Russ was there to help perform CPR, as we had two doctors working on her. Props to Casey for sailing down to retrieve Juan's rig which had floated all the way to the fishing pier, and thanks to everybody who helped out. Fucking crazy.

A very scary situation, and we can only hope for the best. Jacqui is one of the sweetest people you could ever meet, and she would always bring red wine and cups for everybody for a nice post-session party.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
esteban

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all
Very sorry to hear about this...didn't know her personally but obviously a tragedy that hits close to home.
Stay safe out there and keep an eye out For each other!
Esteban
shitan

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know anything about her actual status now, but in the ambulance they were able to get her pulse and breathing back with good blood pressure. She spent about 2-3 min face down before Dr Juan noticed her and started swimming back to shore and creamed for help. She was completely uncontentious, two windsurfing MD's started CPR on her trying to get her to breath and keep her heart beating but her lungs were too full with sea water... Time went too fast, in fact 20 min or so have elapsed with her not able to breath.

Thanks to everyone who helped rescuing Jackie's life and i hope she will survive.

s
human_catapult

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy, surreal, heart-wrenching day. Everyone please keep an eye out for each other.

I made the 911 call and couldn't believe it was happening at the time. It was really quite something to tell the operator that we didn't need CPR instructions because two licensed physicians, one with a background in the Emergency Medicine were helping give her a chance.

Jackie is a really sweet woman, always quick with a joke and a laugh, and always pouring a little wine in a paper cup to share with friends and total strangers. I don't want to get my hopes up but she's got a lot of things working to her advantage including quick reactions from many, heroic efforts by the rescuers and even our cold bay water hopefully giving her an edge. I'm sending all the positive thoughts I can muster to her cause tonight, I don't want to rule out a miracle quite yet.
sarahL

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Status Reply with quote

As of 11.30 pm She's stable in the ICU - and squeezed Suzy's hand. Keep her in your prayers everyone.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Status Reply with quote

sarahjlloyd wrote:
As of 11.30 pm She's stable in the ICU - and squeezed Suzy's hand. Keep her in your prayers everyone.

That's excellent news. Thank you so much for the update.
chand2

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Jacqui Status Reply with quote

Susie and I got in to see Jacqui tonight around 11pm. She is still unconcious in ICU and breathing with a tube. They were going to take her down for a brain scan or MRI later tonight. We stood close to her and talked to her, hoping she would hear us. I guess we won't know much until we hear what the results of the brain scan are.

Jacqui did not squeeze Susie's hand. Her arm moved in response to Susie touching her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: