myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First time Gorge visit- suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmike

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
sites I'd advise against that have free camping are Celilo and Rufus.

I question why. Celilo is use by many happy sailors. Yes, the road and trains are close and loud. And Rufus is nice if you go about a 1/2 miles east of the freeway entrance road. Black top parking and some table on the grass. And some flush toilets closer to the dam. Trains are not as noisy there. Both place can get filled up on weekends during fishing season.

Avery is one place that has had problems with homeless and fights. Plus it is right next to the trains.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
sites I'd advise against that have free camping are Celilo and Rufus.

I'd guess I should be more specific and I am not disparaging either site, I have sailed them both within the last month. Rufus this time of year gets crowded with fisherman/ kiters/ WS and is not always a happy outcome. I have witnessed first hand incidents that maybe not typical but can get ugly. The problem with camping at Celilo more stems from the fact that it is often used as rest stop for the freeway.

Either site if you are camping in a group your more than fine, just if your a solo family it's not seemingly as safe as a Tucker/ Viento/ Maryhill/ The wall/ Roosevelt. This is just my opinion maybe it's not sound but it's just the vibe I get after sailing. And I have camped at both.....
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to guess that tetiaroaxx has had some unusual experiences out east.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Stevenson. One of the highest % of windy days, but not as likely to be nuked out if you are not advanced. Mellow hang--grass, brew pub, small downtown, Bonneville hot springs..

Rowena--wouldn't wish that chop-suey mess on my worst enemy.

The Dalles Park--wind is funky

Hathery/Swell were among my favorite places to sail when I still did that, but if it's super windy, you may find it over your head if you are truly "intemediate." If you are ready to move up to high wind, you may have a blast there, however.

Maryhill/Rufus: Strong current, but a lot of fun. It can blast out there too.

Event Site--lots of kiters (I am one of them), and wind in close often sucks on sail gear unless you have racing gear to get you through lulls close to shore. Did I mention all of the kiters?

Any of the local shops can suggest the best place on any given day. Be sure to talk with an experienced windsurfer, though.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out, Stevenson is full of old geezers.

Nice thing about us ol' geezers (yes, I joined the geeserhood - the tribe of geesage - this year in celebration of turning the big five-oh ), we're truly not as stressed out as young whipper snappers...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-05-18-stress18online_ST_N.htm?csp=34news

Indeed, us old folks who sail relaxed at Stevenson are only half as miserable as we used to be - starts at age 50 when senility begins to set in. That's about the time we forget about trying to be the coolest dude on the water.

BTW, super powered 4.7 conditions this AM at Stevenson, with warm air temp in the 70's..... nobody on the water until it got really flukey around 11:30. Same story on the last east wind event at Stevenson, it was super powered 4.2 for hours and hours with warm air temp, nobody there but yours truly.

- WMP
Bond1

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Watch out, Stevenson is full of old geezers.

Nice thing about us ol' geezers (yes, I joined the geeserhood - the tribe of geesage - this year in celebration of turning the big five-oh ), we're truly not as stressed out as young whipper snappers...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-05-18-stress18online_ST_N.htm?csp=34news

Indeed, us old folks who sail relaxed at Stevenson are only half as miserable as we used to be - starts at age 50 when senility begins to set in. That's about the time we forget about trying to be the coolest dude on the water.

BTW, super powered 4.7 conditions this AM at Stevenson, with warm air temp in the 70's..... nobody on the water until it got really flukey around 11:30. Same story on the last east wind event at Stevenson, it was super powered 4.2 for hours and hours with warm air temp, nobody there but yours truly.

- WMP

Ah, the old "I got it and you missed it" that was so popular in the late 80's. Nicely played.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete,

Stuart and I will be back in town on 5/28, which will likely reduce your
Easterly gloat factor by 2/3 ;*)

-Craig

WMP wrote:

- WMP
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Great place to chill, get a long reach, moderate wind... Reply with quote

(usually), moderate swell.

I would suggest Rock Creek/Mosier. Give it a try at least. Also, Rowena/East Mayer St. Park. Both beautiful sites.

If you need a place to park, let me know
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to avoid some sort of unnatural exam or hairy mountain men, go to Maryhill. I think the former only happens at Stevenson for reasons unknown to this poster. I have never heard of such activities at the eastern sites. There is definitely something odd going on at Stevenson with the more advanced-aged segment of our windsurfing brethern. Just ask Darcy. The only unnatural acts going on out east is that there is a rumor some people put the back foot first in the foot straps.

Good luck.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're getting redundant. There's already a thread about that problem in the Eastern US & Canada forum, judging by its topic line. Wink

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: