myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
restaurants in Buxton NC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjbrooklyn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: restaurants in Buxton NC Reply with quote

Dear windsurfers:

I'll be down in Buxton in late May and need to know where to eat dinner. Any suggestions in the area?

Walter
kevlaw

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Shoals. Just ate there on mothers day. Very good food.
toadface

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Sailing in Avon from a rental house. Reply with quote

I am staying and sailing out of a perfect windsuring house in Avon, NC. It is called Wind Windows and is nexxt door to outer banks kiting. We got the house from Outter Beaches Reality (number 539). Reasonable price and great sunset views.

What is with the wind today. We were expecting sailable SW by now but so far it is only 11. Some kiters are out. I am a board sailier.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerbread House
Good pizza no frills just a good place to get pizza.
Make sure you get an Apple Ugly at The Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton. No trip to Hatteras is complete without an Apple Ugly!!! Very Happy

shredvet

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new place near the Food Lion in Avon next to the old location for Bubbas. It has an incredible seafood sampler appetizer. Some of the best Crab cakes I've ever had. Great scallops, etc. The name escapes me but is something like Cafe 12. Had a large group go down a few weeks ago and a bunch of us independently found it and raved.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Walter- What kind of food are you looking for? Here are my recommendations:

Quick and easy lunch/dinner, large menu, good value: Cafe 12 in Food Lion Plaza, Avon (ShredVet's Rec)

Taco Tuesday at Oceana's Bistro in Avon- $1 per!! and $1.50 PBRs!!

Delicious, broad spectrum menu, medium $$s: Mac Daddy's in Avon, Say hi to Rob behind the bar

Pizza: NINO's 252 995 5358 or Gingerbread House as JE suggested

I'd skip "Dirty Dicks", but that's just me

Mad Crabber for raw/steamed crabs in Avon

Buxton has Diamond Shoals for Diner style breakfast and good dinner plates. Orange Blossom is a must for breakfast. Check out Captain's Table, too, say hi to Jessie...

ToadFace- I hope the afternoon made up for the slow start in the AM!! That's kind of the normal SW setup this time of year... Patience pays off, and keep an eye on the meters in Rodanthe- it was blowing 20+ all morning up there... That and other local secrets can be found here:

http://wind-nc.com/?page_id=760

Swing on by the shop tonight for our free Windsurfing Clinic with Andy Brandt from ABK Boardsports! 7PM, more details here:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20081

Hope to see you there!
toadface

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Food near Buxton Reply with quote

Since you started to mention the restaurants in Avon as well, I like th Dolphin Den. Moderate prices, local seafood, mostly. And pretty good. For a more upscale presentatino of local seafood Coastal Blue- it is near Ocean Air.
wjbrooklyn

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Buxton Restaurants Reply with quote

Dear Team:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just hope that there will be good winds and good sailing so I can really chow down!

Walter
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the .. sort of biker bar/ restruant called on the ocean side of the road, between Buxton & Avon, its near the food store nr. Buxton, and the surf shop, Natural Art, same side of the street ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
johngullotti

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, my wife and I had dinner there on Mother's day too! (as well as mother's day breakfast) Service was great, I had broiled scallops and shrimp. My wife had the fried soft shell crab. Not bad. Beer was in bottles, not on tap. The clam chowder was definitely good.

We also tried dinner at Rusty's Surf and Turf. It was ok. My wife's baby back ribs were really good and I forget what I had. It might not have been memorable, but it certainly wasn't awful. But don't get the fried calamari. The waitress was promoting it pretty heavily but I didn't like the corn meal breading and the calamari were actually overcooked and a bit chewy. They had good beer on tap

If you're there during the week, there's a great lunch place next to the ABC liquors in the big parking lot behind Rusty's. They're not open on weekends until Memorial day but the wraps and sandwiches are delicious.

We were there three nights. Our other dinner was pizza from Toppers in Avon. It was just OK for us. Typical, relatively thick crust. My wife and I are real big fans of New York or New Haven style thin crust. So we couldn't rave about it, but it filled the void.

People go on and on about Orange Blossom, but I found the donuts just OK. The apple ugly is a standard greasy apple fritter but it was tasty. And I found the coffee hit or miss. Coffee on Saturday was nice and rich. But coffee on Monday was weak.

Ice cream at Uncle Eddies was really good. And that's a really awesome parrot he's got.

j
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: