myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rest in peace scott
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bil7y

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Rest in peace scott Reply with quote

this post deleted at request of Scotts friends.

Rest in peace scott and prayers to all family and friends.

Last edited by bil7y on Fri May 28, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
ronm41

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kitesurfer Almost Dies at OB - At least one on sailboat does Reply with quote

bil7y wrote:
A 39 year old kitesurfer from the Kings Beach Area of Lake Tahoe was found face down in the water in full cardiac arrest today (May 23) at Ocean Beach. He was apparently wrapped up in his kite lines when he was rescued although no word he got in to his predicament.

A spectacular job by the local lifeguards to get him on to the beach and they actually revived him from being totally unconscious. Tremendous risk the lifeguards took to get in to the water today which was crazy windy not to mention the fact that those kite lines are still dangerous. The kiter was taken to UCSF hospital and no word on his condition as of now but prayers that he makes a full recovery. Major props to the lifeguards on OB which has to be one the most treacherous beaches that has such a large amount of people who dare to get in it.(including me) These guys risk their lives to save others. Thank you Thank you Thank You.

Just around the corner at Lands End in San Francisco, just beyond the Cliff House Restaurant, a 33 foot sailboat also go into trouble just hours after the kiter incident. Unfortunately the outcome was not as positive. No one is sure at this point how many people were on the boat but perhaps 2 people died. Only one body was recovered and reports are that three were on board but the Coast Guard had to abandon the search this evening due to darkness. The SF Chronicle is reporting that one woman survived. Observers on shore saw a second body in the water but were unable to recover it. The boat itself then washed up on the Marin Headlands and was still there this evening. Prayers are with the family's and rest in peace to the sailors who have passed.

Be safe out there. If your gut tells you not to go listen to it. Safety day (free water safety class / information) is June 12th at Crissy Field and a free lunch is being served. Hopefully you don't need any more motivation to attend. Here is the info
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19958

A quick quote from Warren Zevon "Enjoy every sandwich."

David
www.waterhound.com

Since this is a local guy for us, was there a name for the injured kiter?
doctorx

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lifeguard at the scene at OB told me that the man was not going to make it. They were able to get him out of the water approximately 4 minutes after he went down and it was too late. They had tried shock paddles and CPR before putting him into the the ambulance. The ambulance left without sirens on. I hope he made it and was happy to see this post this am. Does anyone have an update on the man's condition?
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doctorx wrote:
Does anyone have an update on the man's condition?

Goto:
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8432&start=30
human_catapult

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things strike me about this story.

In the thread, apparently he's only been kiting for a year and he had NEVER kited OB before. He was on an archaic 9m kite, while others were on 6s and 7s. It just seems like terrible decisions were made that day.
1956kiteboarder

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: first hand report Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8432&start=20
The official story is as follows:
This is from my viewpoint as I was one of the 2 kiters who were involved in pulling him out. My bro Mike G was the other and he is a emergency room nurse who was the real hero, along with the lifeguards who did great.
Sorry for the delay in posting this.
I didnt want to post anything without checking with his family first. I just left the hospital and they asked me to post this so everyone knows what happened, whats happening and how to avoid it happening again.
His name is Scott
He's from Tahoe.
He's been riding just over a year.
It was his first time riding OB. If you were there, you know the conditions were as extreme as it gets there.
He was on a 9 Cabrinah crossbow 1st generation. Weight maybe 190?
I saw him crash his kite as he was heading out. I was on an inward tack and saw he was in trouble. I rode to shore and waved the lifeguards who were beside their truck with the binoculars. They started racing towards the shore.
Mike was riding past him at this point trying to keep an eye on him on his inward tack. I started to tack back out to keep an eye on him and waved at him to let him know we were keeping an eye on him. I passed Mike, he riding in, me riding out.
Scott's kite had ripped in half by the time I got up wind enough to decide what to do. A coast guard helicopter flew overhead so I decided to head back in to work with the lifeguards. Flew to shore and landed my kite. I told the lifeguards to get the helicopter back and drop a line. they were throwing on their suits and getting boards off the truck. (fast, they really did a great job)
Mike came in and I grabbed his kite. By this time unfortunately Scott was underwater and the kite was still anchored to him. We couldn't see him, and the kite was not moving.
The lifeguards hit the water with their boards and grabbed him very quickly. He was still attached to his kite and his lines were wrapped around his right ankle.
I ran to him in the water and Mike ran to the kite. I got his safety release unhooked and we pulled him to shore where Mike took charge and started CPR.
The lifeguards hooked Scott up to a defibrulator (spelling?) to jump start his heart and the machine apparently reads his vital signs (this is not a technical briefing) and he had no pulse. So Mike kept the CPR going. The lifeguards assisted with the CPR as well. Mike was really handling the tough scene like a pro.
The ambulance arrived and Scott was taken away. When he was there was no heart beat and no pulse as far as we knew.
After packing up our gear and decompressing for a bit we went to the hospital where they had actually gotten a heart beat and pulse.
His 2 friends who drove down with him Rado and Matt were shaken up and we helped them as best we could filling them in on what had happened. Mike arranged for them to crash at his place.
the family was called in and as of this afternoon he his parents and brother and friends at with him at the hospital. He is in a coma and has swelling on his brain.
His prognosis is not great. I am an optimist and would never want to be counted out if I were in his shoes. He's going to have to fight and thats really what I want him to do.
His family is with him and they are trying to stay positive as they know he's a fighter.
I personally don't really want to second guess any of his kiting decisions as hindsight is 20/20. Clearly he should have hit the safety release. Of course he was trying to relaunch it, and there wasn't a safety leash on him when we pulled him out.
These are the obvious points which raise technical questions for kite safety and we can debate carrying a knife or riding with or without a leash elsewhere. The forum has tons of great safety tips all over it.
My purpose in writing this is to fill you guys (and girls) in on what happened so that we can keep Scott in our thoughts and bring hope and support to his family and friends. They need it.
They also know that we are all pulling for him and really appreciate the kind words.
My love and sincere admiration goes to my friend Mike G who really deserves all the credit in the world for helping Scott get this far. I'm proud to call him my friend.
The lifeguard team at OB were super efficient and deserve our thanks for keeping an eye on us.
I will be keeping in touch with the family over these next few crucial days and will post as I have new updates.
send me a pm if you have any other questions.
Best
ian/chicago guy/drummer/kiter
bil7y

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Soctt did not make it Reply with quote

Unfortunately Scott did not make it and passed away the other day. Prayers to his family and Friends

Rest in Peace Scott.
1956kiteboarder

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Scott Michael Murry RIP Reply with quote

Scott Michael Murry RIP

scottie_203.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  360.94 KB
 Viewed:  20954 Time(s)

scottie_203.jpg

jkayes

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our deepest condolences to his friends and family. Rest in Peace, Scott.

-Nicole and Jeff
diannesf

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about this tragedy. To Scott's family and friends, you have my deepest sympathy and I hope that you can take some solace in having many amazing memories of a man who clearly lived his life to the fullest. -Dianne Y.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: