myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing UCSD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredFX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing UCSD Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm headed to UCSD in <3 months and I'm wondering what the consensus is on windsurfing/kitesurfing Embarassed down there?

From what I've heard, my current stuff (7.5, 125L) would be just the right stuff.

Also, what are some good shops there?
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sites.google.com/site/learnersguidetowindsurfing/california
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on iWindsurf / WindAlert.com as well as the iPhone app (if applicable). Plenty of SD-area coverage.

Tourmaline could be one of your good new friends...
http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/SpotInfo.aspx?spotid=422

You will probably pop across the border a few times. Here's the Baja Norte region on WindAlert:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Favorites/ViewFavorites.aspx?pid=114882

Have a great time at UCSD!

Screen shot 2010-06-04 at 6.54.49 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.17 KB
 Viewed:  20432 Time(s)

Screen shot 2010-06-04 at 6.54.49 AM.png

loopless

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shops down here in SD.

For sailing flat water look for Mission Bay in summer on a W/NW. Join the petition to open Lake Hodges - in summer that place is fun if it ever opens again.

J-St (South Bay) can be good on a S/SW wind and on a NW.

The S/SW happens in winter pre-frontal or spring/summer on a strong 'eddy' like last weekend. Sunday and Monday I was fully wound on a 7.0 at J St.

If you are into waves your main option is Tourmaline - watch for the krusty surfers.

Join the SDWA - they are having a picnic at Mission Bay .

"June 12, SDWA Opening Season Picnic, Mission Bay, Hilton Point, 12noon we will have the club equipment and free lessons"
pacspeed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kite kite kite. I too was a (miserable) SD windsurfer. Even your 7.5 will be marginal most days. Kiting however is much more accessible. There are at least two shops, and tons of guys, typically on 12's and 14's. IB, Tourmaline, even Sunset Cliffs are all kiteable a decent percentage (ie 20%) of the time. Windsurfing, OTOH, is about 5 days a year.

But take heart! You are now within striking distance of San Carlos weekend trips, which needless to say is amazing. If I still lived there, I'd be at PSC at least every other month.

Also, you're going to one of the best schools in the country, surrounded by smoking hot chicks in an incredible setting with unbeatable weather. You'll suffer through somehow.

Jealous.
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll call BS on that. You will get more days kiting, but you call still sail SD a fair number of days - I probably get 40-50 days, and that's mostly on wave gear. You can just have to be committed.

The problem in SD is the same for both kiter and windsurfer - you have to be able to sail during the weekday and/or be prepared to travel. Especially this time of year with June gloom and persistent Catalina eddys.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40-50 days on wave gear in San Diego? Come on, man. You either weigh 90 lbs or are suffering from some minor delusions, like people who say they ski 100 days a year.

I lived in the Gorge for 10 years, and even before I had kids, 40-50 days was a good season. After all 50 days a year equates to going every other day, without fail, all summer long. Given a year round season in SD, that means you're claiming the equivalent of at least one wave gear day EVERY week.

It is, I, sir, who will now call BS.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 days - that would be a very good year - but 40 , no problems. Thing is, we can sail all year around.

When I say wave gear - this means modern 100L+ wave freestyle boards and 6.5-7.0 sails. Totally sloggable in side-on Tourmaline 12-14mph, and we get a lot of 12-14+ down here in winter/early spring/fall with good waves.

I had easily 20 days in the first 4 months of this year. Jan/Feb/March/April were pretty awesome with a lot of storms. I was sailing 5.2 just a few weeks ago! But June/July/August will suck (here). Then things pick up again...

It's all about keeping the stoke going and being prepared to slog (and having a job where you can bail for a few hours in the middle of the day when you get "the page"!)
pacspeed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. A question of definitions. I guess I don't call 100 liters, 7.0 and 14 knots a "wave gear" kinda session.

Filthy spoiled after living in SF and Hood River for the last 16 years.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:

It's all about keeping the stoke going and being prepared to slog (and having a job where you can bail for a few hours in the middle of the day when you get "the page"!)

Let's remember we are talking about a college student. I don't think he will be able to bail for a few hours unless he is on the 10 year plan.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: