myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newbie in South East PA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsminch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie in South East PA Reply with quote

Hi guys. I've been surfing for about 10 years. I just cant make the trips to the beach anymore. Decided to look into windsurfing..Took a lesson..Now Im hooked!! I live about 15 minutes from Peace Valley Park and about 45 min from Nockamixon and Marsh Creek. Alot easier to commute then the beach. Less crowds too. Any other guys in the area?? Have a few qustions about the lakes. Thanks!!!
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer your specific questions but this may be of interest: http://sites.google.com/site/learnersguidetowindsurfing/Home

Last edited by cagjr21150 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until about two years ago (when I moved to coastal NJ) I sailed Lake Nockamixon and to a lesser extent, Lake Galena (Peace Valley Park). Sailed on those lakes for over 25 years.

There is definitly a group of windsurfers at Lake Nockamixon. Peace valley isn't as popular for windsurfing due to it's smaller size. Nockamixon can be a lot of fun on South West and West winds. North West causes the most trouble for new sailors because the wind is directly offshore and pretty gusty and shifty. It can still be a lot of fun though for more experienced sailors.

The windsurfers launch from Tohickon Landing. On any given day with a good forecast you are very likely to have a few windsurfers up there, and on a summer weekend, there can be quite a crowd. Very friendly group.

One last note, if you're not aware, life jackets are required to be worn on all lakes in PA. You're pretty much guaranteed a ticket if you're caught sailing without one.

sm
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to manage the shop at Marsh Creek back when, way back. Marsh Creek can be a wonderful place to windsurf for beginners and intermediates.
The winds are generally light, but you can see the clearly see gusts coming down, maybe more clearly than other lakes I've sailed, probably b/c the water is very flat.

The launch is great and the water is clean. There is a small food concession and a shop that should carry whatever you might need.

Marsh Creek is really great for more advanced windsurfers when the wind cranks from the NW. That's usually the best or only clear fetch from the launch near the shop.

Hope this helps.

Nockamixon does have the higher concentration of windsurfers -at least it did- but I never hit the good conditions there.
rsminch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the Info guys. Every little bit helps..
ride-no-work

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually sailed NOX twice this year and had some fun. It was a windy SW a couple Sat. ago. I got roped into Trixies, but probably would of had a good time at the lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: