myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Strong river current what do you rig? Wind 24-28 ish
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Strong river current what do you rig? Wind 24-28 ish Reply with quote

I was full fledge rigged at Mary Hill. The current was strong, so I rigged big. 6.5 Gastra 124 Liter Fanatic. Other folks were on small sails like 4.5 or a 5.2. I am no hero but I said rig big. I had no issues but I was uncomfortable with the chop. I noticed people having a tough time some drifting to the bridge, and myself having a goodtime. Someone drifted down river from rufus and they were looking. The river current was intense. What do you rig? Sail? Fin? Board? Thanks
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Strong river current what do you rig? Wind 24-28 ish Reply with quote

Bret wrote:
Someone drifted down river from rufus and they were looking.

What is "looking"? Does that help with the drifting? I thought they were going to get some Wi Fi up there so we can get online to figure out what to rig while we're there and not have to wait till we get back home to figure out what gear would have worked. So are you wanting to know what I would have rigged or what someone else should have rigged?? Idea
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Strong river current what do you rig? Wind 24-28 ish Reply with quote

Let me get this straight, the wind was 24-28 MPH the current was stiff
in the opposite directions (probably around 8-10MPH at MH) during
your time frame, and you rigged a 6.5 and a 120 ltr board. I'd need
to weigh about 250 lbs to even be close to making that work. With
a strong current against the wind you should be rigging smaller, not
larger. Under your described conditions I usually rig 4.7. I weigh
about 185. If people were floating away due to inability to plane,
it wasn't 24-28.

-Craig

Bret wrote:
I was full fledge rigged at Mary Hill. The current was strong, so I rigged big. 6.5 Gastra 124 Liter Fanatic. Other folks were on small sails like 4.5 or a 5.2. I am no hero but I said rig big. I had no issues but I was uncomfortable with the chop. I noticed people having a tough time some drifting to the bridge, and myself having a goodtime. Someone drifted down river from rufus and they were looking. The river current was intense. What do you rig? Sail? Fin? Board? Thanks

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been there Saturday and the designated wind dummy for the day, I originally rigged a 5.7 on an 88ltr wave board (200lbs). After taking a picture for a group having a picknic, they all decided they would come out to watch the maiden voyage too, nice, no pressure. After getting in the channel, I got up, and as my friends later described, I was basically standing in one place on the river. Just enough wind to hang, until I fell and woosh, down the river I went. Eventually I made it back up, replaced my fin with a larger wave fin and tried again. This time, took off. The wind eventually started coming up too. I am about as far from a techie guy as you'll get, but my feeling is, the larger fin helped me get going quicker and hold me spot on the river. Once up, it did feel like I actually needed less of a sail then I would normally require. I would assume that with the current, it's "pushing" me towards the wind, so the wind would seem higher? I would say, bigger fin and slightly smaller sail than normal. Unless of course, you're afraid of a little float down the river. Then go big and suck up the chop. I had a similar experience two weeks ago, when I was able to sail in 16mph winds at Maryhill on the same set up, when otherwise, I wouldn't have had a chance, I normally need at least 18-20.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can do it the other way (smaller fin) also. The deal is that
the apparent wind is increased (slightly) by current in the opposite
direction as the wind. I've seen some really
stiff currents in that section of the river, and if you were slogging you could basically make no headway in the river, so a huge skeg would be
useful if your plan was to slog back and forth and get back to your
beer cooler. If you go down, you really
need to waterstart quickly before you head under the bridge, but once
up and planed, that "24-28" should be plenty to get you ripp'n.

-Craig

p.s My Avatar is from a day much like you described at The Wall.

cannon wrote:
Having been there Saturday and the designated wind dummy for the day, I originally rigged a 5.7 on an 88ltr wave board (200lbs). After taking a picture for a group having a picknic, they all decided they would come out to watch the maiden voyage too, nice, no pressure. After getting in the channel, I got up, and as my friends later described, I was basically standing in one place on the river. Just enough wind to hang, until I fell and woosh, down the river I went. Eventually I made it back up, replaced my fin with a larger wave fin and tried again. This time, took off. The wind eventually started coming up too. I am about as far from a techie guy as you'll get, but my feeling is, the larger fin helped me get going quicker and hold me spot on the river. Once up, it did feel like I actually needed less of a sail then I would normally require. I would assume that with the current, it's "pushing" me towards the wind, so the wind would seem higher? I would say, bigger fin and slightly smaller sail than normal. Unless of course, you're afraid of a little float down the river. Then go big and suck up the chop. I had a similar experience two weeks ago, when I was able to sail in 16mph winds at Maryhill on the same set up, when otherwise, I wouldn't have had a chance, I normally need at least 18-20.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On sunday doug's was 3.7ish most of the day
cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there. This time on my wife's 68ltr board and a 3.7, you know it was windy!
Bret

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I just had figured bigger was better. Maybe next time a smaller board like 95 liter and my bigger sail. Cannon I saw you you were the 1st, so that was why I rigged big. after 4:30 the wind was really blowing hard. Mary Hill is such a nice park.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Free power! Reply with quote

Yeah, Maryhill - Rufus current is always fast this time of year, but even more so this year. Here's why ... http://news.opb.org/article/high-riverflows-put-electric-grid-test/
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

equipment: use a smaller fin, be sure you have selected a board and rig you will always plane on.

Sometimes you may need 2 to 6cm smaller , depending on wind, more rake is good.

The fin is key. We had a race many years ago in light wind at Maryhill. I selected a b&J 25. I nearly won the whole thing (only one race). The others were on blades 32 plus. No one not even Bruce could get downwind.

I was able to go easily until I fell in a huge hole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: