myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Death at Doug's Beach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabrazell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Death at Doug's Beach Reply with quote

My longest and one of my best friends (Jon Johnson) died yesterday (June 29th) while sailing at Doug's Beach. Apparently, he had a massive stroke, made it back to the beach, and that was it. He was only 51 and in extremely fit condition. We would like to thank everyone whom attempted his resuscitation and the following stowing of his gear. He is survived by his wife Marilyn. They were long time owners of The Inn at the Gorge which they sold a few years back. Jon and Marilyn were regulars at the Hatchery since the mid-80's. He passed doing what he loved on a great day. We all gotta move on one day and no better way than living out our passions. I will miss him more than I can now imagine. We spoke 3 times that morning on where we were to sail. I ended up at The Wall and then found out of the tradgedy through the sailing grapevine a few hours later. Live your life to its fullest and never fail to appreciate those you are close to. We had nearly 30 great years of extreme skiing, mountain biking, and gorge sailing. How lucky I was and still am. Thank You and I miss you Jon. Kyle
Divo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our first Gorge house from Jon and Marilyn and I got to know them over the years. This is very sad he always has something positive to say when we would see each other on the beach or around town. R.I.P. Jon.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle, my deepest sympathy goes out to you. I was at the scene and it was truly sad. I can assure you that heroic efforts were made to save Jon. But it was simply his time to go. Another wake-up call for all of us to live our lives to the max and do good, be good and make it count. Best regards to you and all of Jon's friends and family. Rob.
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon was a terrific guy, my deepest condolences
delwood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there as well and although I didn't know Jon I just wanted to offer my heartfelt condolences to his wife, family and friends. Those that tried to revive Jon did an excellent job and gave it their best.
jota

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I've known them since the 80s and always enjoyed our professional and recreational interactions . . . always saw them at the hatch, it seems - at least after he made breakfast for the guests at the Inn. So sorry for Marilyn.

Many good memories and happy thoughts for Jon.

Jay
jota

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I've known them since the 80s and always enjoyed our professional and recreational interactions . . . always saw them at the hatch, it seems - at least after he made breakfast for the guests at the Inn. So sorry for Marilyn.

Many good memories and happy thoughts for Jon.

Jay
GarryW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoyed watching Jon on the water. He was one of those guys who could make a 4.2 work no matter how light the wind and moved like a dancer.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also was there. People (some my friends) were administering
CPR within moments, and the Paramedics were there probably
within 15 minutes. Everyone very impressive, but unfortunately
without a happy result. May Jon have fair winds, and my condolences
and prayers for peace for those that knew and loved him.

-Craig
CGW2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: WA State Parks says thanks Reply with quote

Hi Windsurfers-

My sincere condolences to Jon's family and friends. To those who were there and helped that day, here is a nice note from Fritz, Washington State Park Ranger at Doug's Beach:

I want to take a moment today to thank our windsurfing community during what was a difficult day at Doug’s Beach this past Tuesday. We were lucky to have so many responsive and caring people there from the very moment people noticed a fellow windsurfer in need of help. You were alert and quick to act, coming to his assistance rapidly. Not only were many of you trained in first aid but we even had a medical doctor on the scene immediately – just out windsurfing on his day off. Everyone maintained a helpful and positive mental attitude, providing medical assistance, knowledgeable witness statements, and securing & transporting personal items. Everything that could have been done was performed as best as anyone could hope for under the circumstances.

Thank you for being leaders in the Columbia Gorge recreation community. We look forward to your continued presence and enjoyment at our windsurfing parks.

Sincerely,
Fritz Osborne
Park Ranger
Columbia Hills State Park / Doug’s Beach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: