myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A strangeness at Doug's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seabrookuk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
seabrookuk wrote:
einhorn wrote:
Assault requires actual contact

actually assault is the threat not the physical contact.

The main distinction between the two offenses is the existence or nonexistence of a touching or contact. While contact is an essential element of battery, there must be an absence of contact for assault. Sometimes assault is defined loosely to include battery. Smile

WA does it differently than most (all?) other states. Here in WA -- specifically, uniquely, and inexplicably -- "assault" requires contact. Score on that issue: Einhorn 1 (in WA); you, me, most legal dictionaries including Black's, and virtually every legal website I can find ... 0.

Mike \m/

Hmmm, you must have a different Black's dictionary than I have.
seabrookuk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georges wrote:
Having lived and sailed in SF for years where the "problems" described above are a dailey event I give you the folowing rule to live by " In life there are two types of people cannibals and non-cannibals pick a side" If you want da man to sort out your problem than so be it the next time you go there expect the same thing to happen.How would you like to find out it was your wife and kid that no one defended in there time of need.I love the gorge but some of its sailors live in a fantasy world. Gman,Oakland ca.

thank you!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georges wrote:
Having lived and sailed in SF for years where the "problems" described above are a dailey event I give you the folowing rule to live by " In life there are two types of people cannibals and non-cannibals pick a side" If you want da man to sort out your problem than so be it the next time you go there expect the same thing to happen.How would you like to find out it was your wife and kid that no one defended in there time of need.

I agree, but with cameras and bleeding heart/ PC/ liberal/ never-offend-anybody thinking so common these days, taking care of business directly is risky these days. People are also pu***** these days. I am dead certain the first and last guy to hit-and-run my wife on a ski slope has never forgotten what happened to him in 1968, but more recently I've watched in disbelief many times as people worry more about offending assholes and outright criminals than about stopping them.

Mike \m/
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
loosescrew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theft doesn't happen here too often but it has, in fact, happened several times over the past several weeks. At a local retailer, there have been two customers buying gear to replace gear that was stolen off their vehicle. This really sucks and you really suck!
axl.cranium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from a post made to alt.rv.pop-up-trailers from a few years back, made by one of the posters on this very thread. (said poster does get around)....

1. When I stop to eat in my van or RV at a highway rest stop, and the
weather is inviting enough to leave the doors open, my gun is on my table, in reach but just out of sight. The clientele at those places can be GRIM!

2. One of my guns is a short-barreled, pistol-gripped, pump shotgun. Its
sight and sound alone should do the trick just fine, never mind having to
pull the trigger. It is legal.

3. Took me a few minutes and cost a few bucks. My wife's very small,
hammerless .357 mag fits in my pants pocket invisibly, and comes out of the pocket with no hammer to snag. I have a lifetime CWP for New York State, and another for my current state of residence. In NM, we didn't need 'em; anyone can wear on one his hip almost anywhere.

Now if Craig had one of those guns in his van he coulda just taught that low life a lesson right there on the spot. And maybe blast one of those darn kiters too just cause they're pretty GRIM clientele also. Now of course I am not advocating such action, but you have to admit that "shoot first, ask questions later" attitude does remind you of a recent president's invasion of a certain country and the carnage that ensued for who knows what purpose. But as long as you get your board back, what's a little carnage at Doug's Beach?
Georges

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
georges wrote:
Having lived and sailed in SF for years where the "problems" described above are a dailey event I give you the folowing rule to live by " In life there are two types of people cannibals and non-cannibals pick a side" If you want da man to sort out your problem than so be it the next time you go there expect the same thing to happen.How would you like to find out it was your wife and kid that no one defended in there time of need.

I agree, but with cameras and bleeding heart/ PC/ liberal/ never-offend-anybody thinking so common these days, taking care of business directly is risky these days. People are also pu***** these days. I am dead certain the first and last guy to hit-and-run my wife on a ski slope has never forgotten what happened to him in 1968, but more recently I've watched in disbelief many times as people worry more about offending assholes and outright criminals than about stopping them.

Mike \m/

"taking care of business directly is risky these days" spoken like a true non-cannibal."1968" was the last time you took a risk, poor guy.''but more recently I have watched" there you go again.Mike the world is truly a safer place because of you. Laughing
Gman , Oakland ca.
robgray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like I've been sayin':

This is exactly the type of cat you might expect to slide you the dutchie from the right hand side!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axl.cranium wrote:
"shoot first, ask questions later" attitude ... Mike the world is truly a safer place because of you.

Well, your gear, child, wife, car, and home are safer when I'm around, for one simple reason: I try to pay attention -- and have intervened to varying degrees when and as appropriate -- when I hear an alarm go off, witness an apparent theft, see someone being assaulted, see a child in danger, see people behaving in ways that have gotten parks closed, and many such situations. In all those situations, only one may have merited your dumb "shoot first" policy, because lives were at stake and the perp was beyond talking range. Why some people associate guns with a "shoot first, ask questions later" attitude escapes me; except inside my home at night, there's no connection. A weapon is one's last, not first, line of defense.

What would you do if you saw three guys stripping boards off a car in the night?
• Ignore it? Thanks a lot.
• Call the police? The gear's gone before they arrive. I hope you at least got license plate number, descriptions, etc.
• Walk up and ask them to convince you the boards belong to them; not advisable unarmed. (Ask CB Schmaltz about that one.) I'd hope someone would do the same for me.

Now ramp it up. Say your wife or child is immediate danger of bodily injury, even death. I've seen several husbands say and do nothing in that scenario, for various reasons including unwillingness to confront wrongdoers, correct a child, or embarrass a perp. In lesser scenarios, I've seen groups of >50 people unwilling to even just speak up when someone is doing something dangerous or egregious to others. People have more PC than backbone lately, and the world's worse off for it. The world should be a safer place for you and me, and a much less safe place for criminals and terrorists.

Mike
Georges

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robgray wrote:
Just like I've been sayin':

This is exactly the type of cat you might expect to slide you the dutchie from the right hand side!

Mike brings a whole new meaning to "watch my back" Shocked

Gman Oakland,ca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: