myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maryhill & The Wall/Rufus Wind Direction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sissybar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Maryhill & The Wall/Rufus Wind Direction Reply with quote

I was ready for some nice rolling waves, Maryhill looked good @ WSW direction (<270 degrees). Wrong Mad it looked like crap.

The wind could not make it beyond Maryhill Park, clearly rolling down the foothills out of the north. Or so it seemed.

Someone remind me what Maryhill wind directions to avoid or what the deal was with the wind today??
sterbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSW is a good direction for Maryhill and maybe you showed up late.... solid 4.2 from Maryhill to the Cove yesterday from 12:30 to 3:30... started to get holy and gusty around 3:30 but stayed sailable until about 4 pm...
Larry.Lampshade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: The meter has changed - 260 and less appears to be good now. Reply with quote

it used to be about 270 or so, but as you noticed, that is now quite north and not so good.

I don't have the exact degree where it is good, but the ideal direction reads at a lower degree now than what it did a year or so ago.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's a frontal push with cool air and clouds making it to The Dalles it often stays good all day. On a more typical summer day, however, SE Oregon gets hot and an intense thermal low develops which starts pulling air and consequently changes the wind direction. Since 3-4 is the prime heating hours for land, that's why the wind often goes to hell out there then.

Go early
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Wall vs. Rufus Reply with quote

Yes, the Wall is very sensitive to the wind direction.
I blame the bad (gusty) days on turbulence coming off of the big rock wall itself.
When the Wall isn't working, rather than driving back to Doug's or out to Roosevelt, try Rufus instead. It seems to work when the wind has just a little bit of North in it. The wider river/Gorge at Rufus seems to smooth out the gusts and lulls. The swells aren't quite as tall as at the Wall, but they can be wide enough to share with a few friends.
Yesterday (7/22) was a prime example. I know several people who left the Wall without even getting on the water, but the wind at Rufus was great.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wain a minute. Rufus is a bumpy 6-7 mile drive, but only a very broad reach or two, away from The Wall. They drove? That whole stretch is just one contiguous playground, much like Swell-Wells, and the Maryhill corridor escalator provides lull insurance often lacking at Swell-Wells.

Mike \m/
hilton08

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't drive, but I wish I had. I went out in holey 4.2 conditions at the Wall and sailed down to Rufus to test my theory about the wind. Sure enough, when I got to Rufus it was more like overpowered 3.7 conditions. I was able to hang on to the 4.2, but would have been happier starting at Rufus on the 3.7.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: