myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 piece mast stuck together
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no more heat guns!
Epoxy degenerates @ 260 degrees or something

jayturcot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will roger on the starboard forums had the best advice I've seen so far.

Support the tip n' base of the mast on some non-abraisive surfaces (i.e. life-jacket on a picnic table and grassy ground).
Put your hands on the joint and flex the mast.
Rotate and flex.
Rotate and flex.

It's grit jammed into the connection that's causing the mast to jam. It got in there when the mast was downhauled and flexed, and got locked in place when the downhaul tension was released.
The steady flex treatment grinds it up (you'll hear some crunching) and the mast eventually comes apart with 2-4 sets of strong hands after a while.

I can confirm that tape around the seam takes this problem away. Club sails rigged outside and used on a sandy beach by beginners for 4 months came apart easily where the tape was intact.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur on the use of tape to prevent the mast from getting stuck. Although I prefer to use electrical tape over duct tape. It's cheap, re-usable, and doesn't leave a sticky residue on the mast.

Also, if you're sailing off a sandy beach, it's best to put your mast together before you get on the beach to prevent sand from getting in the joint. If you have to put it together on the beach, be extremely careful about keeping sand away from the ferrule before you put the mast together, i.e., don't walk up to the beach and drop your mast in the sand - that's just asking for it to get stuck. Instead, rest your mast on the board so it's up off the sand.

sm
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the best luck by standing the mast on its top with the base straight in the air. Grab the mast in the middle and violently shake the mast back and forth as hard as you can. Rotate the mast so you are flexing it a full 360 degrees and keep the tip on the ground in soft dirt or grass that will hold the tip pretty firm. It seems to allow the sand to fall out of the joint. Then get 4 friends with a strong grip and twist. This seems to work best when the mast is pretty dry. I think the water helps hold the sand in place while dry sand is more likely to fall out and free the joint.

Good Luck!
wipe-out

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 piece mast stuck together Reply with quote

wipe-out wrote:
Hey Guys, I have a Neil Pryde Matrix system 460 mast which I cannot get apart. I've tried everything..Big Hands, 2 booms, heat gun, I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help me???

Wipe-out
ittiandro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure: how to prevent the two sections from sticking together?
It is sometimes suggested to tape around the junction. It makes sense, I have always done it and and it worked so far, except that lately the two sections get stuck no matter what!

I suspect water ( and sand!) may seep in from somewhere else. But from where? The plug at the top of the mast is in place and I cannot think of another place where water may get into the junction, except perhaps the mast extension.

I hear smearing a regular soap bar or grease over the male junction can help . I have some spare synthetic grease left. Can I use it? Any counter indications?

Thanks

Ittiandro
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the 2 wood pieces, 2x 4. The concept is wrap rope around the mast on each side of the joint, use the wood piece with a circle at the end as a wrench so to speak, works best when the other 2x4 is in a vise, as shown. I use throw away rubber gloves to help the rope adhere.

Method nr 2 , tie each end, one to a secure post, the other to your car. Hardest part is getting the rope to stick, rubber glove again. Mast will fall on the ground when it comes apart, padding kinda necessary. Don't have some stand near.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
antonputman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil Filter Strap Wrench, 2 of them in the ws toolbox in the van.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two booms provide very little twisting power.
I"ve used 6 total, all clamped as tight as possible, and have loosened masts too tight for all the other methods except heat, grease, or WD-40.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: