myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 piece mast stuck together
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McLube on the ferrule helps prevent this. Just be sure not to spray where the boom attaches.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
McLube on the ferrule helps prevent this. Just be sure not to spray where the boom attaches.

Your suggestion makes sense .
The methods suggested by others in this thread to disassemble a stubborn mast are very clever indeed. I have made a note of them, if it ever happens again, but I was thinking of a way to prevent the problem, first.

Besides, not every windsurfer( certainly not me, even though I do carry some” first aid” tools and hardware) carries a.. mobile shop equipped with 2x4 wooden posts, extra booms or plumbing wrenches.. .

As I mentioned in my post, I was already thinking in terms of preventing the problem, by possibly using synthetic automotive grease (Permatex Ultraslick), of which I have some leftover from a previous application, but I am not a chemist and I was not too sure if synthetic grease is compatible with the carbon fiber of my mast, which always seems to leave some very fine powdery residuals at the slightest contact..

Since you already used McLube, I trust your choice. It looks better than my synthetic grease because McLube dries to a hard coating ( this is at least what their specs say) , whereas the Permatex synthetic grease is a paste, like any grease. A bit messy, probably to be repeated each time.

I am a bit curious, though : the fit of the two sections of the mast is so tight that I wonder how can there be any room left for an additional dry coating of McLube between the two sections..

Thanks for your suggestion

Ittiandro
rollerrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that some masts now have the ferrule on the top section. I think sandy water can make it's way up the bottom section when the sail is down in the water if you get sand in the bottom end of the mast when rigging. Then infect the ferrule from the inside. Even if the mast is clean silty sandy shore break water can force it's way thru the mast extension. Rinse out the bottom section.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
I have noticed that some masts now have the ferrule on the top section. I think sandy water can make it's way up the bottom section when the sail is down in the water if you get sand in the bottom end of the mast when rigging. Then infect the ferrule from the inside. Even if the mast is clean silty sandy shore break water can force it's way thru the mast extension. Rinse out the bottom section.

The ferrule of my mast (if by ferrule you mean the male part) is on the bottom section.
I forgot to mention however, that at the end of the ferrule there used to be a rubber cap, which, came off at some point.

I never bothered to put it back and I probably misplaced it, but I am sure this is the cause of my problem, because this cap, I now realize, prevented the water from the bottom section of the mast to flow into the upper section and then come back down, by gravity, inside the mast depositing sand and silt in the interstice of the ferrule.

To day I spent 2 hours making a makeshift plug. It works, because I tested it by pouring water into the bottom section and it doesn’t leak through the cap.
I’ll know for sure on my next outing ( probably the last one of the season, may be two more, because temperatures are dropping around here ..

Take care

Ittiandro
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Franco ...

even better is when the "plastic cap" is inside the bottom mast piece
this way little water gets in mast needing to get out when you uphaul/start
ie keeps it light

enjoy rest of the season - some light wind Sunday afternoon Smile
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 guys always works
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2 piece mast stuck together Reply with quote

wipe-out wrote:
Hey Guys, I have a Neil Pryde Matrix system 460 mast which I cannot get apart. I've tried everything..Big Hands, 2 booms, heat gun, I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help me???

Wipe-out

Wipe-out,

Not seen that you have separated your mast. Kindly update progress.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
ittiandro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 piece mast stuck together Reply with quote

wipe-out wrote:
Hey Guys, I have a Neil Pryde Matrix system 460 mast which I cannot get apart. I've tried everything..Big Hands, 2 booms, heat gun, I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help me???

Wipe-out

Look at http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Western-Australia/Cannot-disassemble-windsurfing-mast/

They have some suggestions there. I also read to tighten two gardening hose collars,( the concentric ones, with a screw) one on each mast section and then twist the two sections with plumbing wrenches in two opposite directions, of course. To avoid damaging the mast, don't tighten the collars directly on the mast, but have some cloth or rubber wrapped around the mast, before tightening the collars.

Another suggestion I have seen is to lay the mast on two supports, one at each end and tap the mast in the middle with a mallet ( a small mallet, not a soil testing drill rig !)
The oscillation of the mast slightly arching back and forth while being tapped and the vibration are often sufficient to release the grit or sand stuck in the ferrule between the the two mast sections.

I have also read that having six men each twisting 3 booms on each section will do the trick. I'm sure, but then, unless you own a windsurfing shop, it may be cheaper to buy a new mast....

Take care

Ittiandro
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what one needs is a car, tree, and 2 ropes.

then one ties each section of the mast with a prusik knot.

works every time.

prusik spreads load enough to not need point loading protection. if one needs to assure oneself an extra amount any layer of rubber sheet could be used, but not necessary.

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/#ScrollPoint

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
fxop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fill the mast up with water and turn it upside down. The pressure from the column of water will slowly flush the joint.

Might not work if bottom section has baffles.

Not as spectacular as cars and trees method.

fxop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: