myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Reply from ProMotion Wetsuits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjamin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to mention that the stretchier lighter warmer material that nearly all wet suit manufactures have been using the past few years makes the suits, especially the thicker cold water ones, much much more comfortable.

The only downside - this material is more fragile and requires more care when handling and storing. Never dry your wet suit in direct summer sun. Only hang in the shade if possible. Avoid leaving in over heated cars (same for your board!). Never store for long periods in a mesh bag. I initially dry my suits inside out but never leave them that way for long periods. Use the fattest hangers available and add pipe insulation to them to avoid stretching or tearing the shoulders (this also keeps the material separated). Never pull hard with fingernails (I find that rolling up the bottom "cuff" of the leg a bit at first helps me get out of the full suits easier).

The older material was no doubt more durable but does not come close to the comfort, warmth and performance of the newer suits. The stories of some of these issues should not discourage you from trying the newer suits. They are awesome!

I also want to mention that ProMotion was a victim of defective material that was beyond their control a few years ago. I'm sure they have done all they can to help customers despite the huge financial hit they took over this. Lets not forget that ProMotion was one of the first wet suit manufactures to make suits specifically for windsurfers, and they are local based, which is a great thing. Finally, as a customer I've known Chris for the many years he has worked in local HR shops and he has always been a great help and has always taken care of the customers in all of my dealings. You tend to hear only the negative not the positive in these forums. Chris is definitely a positive IMO.
toveyb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Replay from Promotion Wetsuits Reply with quote

Another positive Promotion response...

Over the last 10-12 years my wife and I have each gone through 2-3 Promotion suits. We appreciate the ability to just drop into the shop in Hood River to have any questions or issues addressed. The shop has always been very accommodating, providing free fixes (without being asked) to seam leaks and small tears.

I recall going into the shop at the end of a season thinking my years-old steamer suit was on its last legs... prepared to order a new one... only to have them convince me it just needed a bit of tuning. I'd leave it over the winter, pick it up at the start of the next season and find it was quite suitable for even the cooler temperatures of mid-May on the Gorge. All for a modest repair charge like $30-$40 or less.

Of course, it would gradually loosen up again over the season so that by August it was just leaky enough to be used in lieu of a shorty. So I'd once again stop by the shop in September/October, planning to order a new suit, only to be convinced again to go for repairs.

This happened to both my wife and I over multiple years, until I finally did experience the welding/gluing together described above. Old suit... left in the heat of the sun, still wet, inside out, perhaps some pressure... Stuck together enough that getting it apart tore it up so bad it couldn't be repaired without major panel replacement.

I'd probably been warned about the risk of such damage, but had long since forgotten it. In any case, given its advanced age, I finally gave it up and got my new suit. My wife still has hers, though... I'm more cautious now, but still stick with Promotion. Great suits. Great service. Friendly people.
jota

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Replay from Promotion Wetsuits Reply with quote

toveyb wrote:
Great suits. Great service. Friendly people.

What he said - bottom line. They'll take care of you.
RogerBarnaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>The customer starting the negative thread, came into our shop with his wetsuit two years after he bought it, and in his words…has small tears where the wetsuit had stuck. He wanted a full refund. We treated him respectfully and tried to give him reasonable options that would make most people happy

This is BS. Blame the customer. it must be customer's fault for being so unreasonable.

Roger
ericandholly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any business can satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. Will, Chris, and Dana have always gone out of their way to help me select suits, find sale suits off of the rack, repair my suits, build me a custom suit for my hard to fit frame, whatever it takes. Do they give it away? No. Are they always fair to me? Yes. I bought my first suit there in 1985, and have never been given a reason to look elsewhere. Bought a shorty there this morning, in fact--love it.

Eric Cohn
Hood River, OR
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerBarnaby wrote:
This is BS. Blame the customer. it must be customer's fault for being so unreasonable.

So a customer comes in demanding a full refund for a few small superficial tears he caused by ignoring care instructions a year out of warranty, and a business should comply? Good thing they're not an automobile dealer, and I'd hate to pay the prices they'd have to charge to run a business that way. The customer ain't always right.

Mike \m/
vikingsail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a very satified customer,
Checked all my suits yesterday, no problems.
I currently have 2 sets of promotion wetsuits, New sets of 5 and 3 mm(for use in cold water) and old sets of 3mm and 5 mm (for warm fall water), which after 5 years, are slowly getting multiple fin cuts and tears. I absolutely love the fit. And they have held up much better than the NeilPryde's I had before.
Plus when I have sent them out for repair they've been back quickly.
I plan to have a memorial service this fall when I finally throw out the old sets.
GuyT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys, that sticky wetsuit problem was what, 3 or 4 years ago?

If you still have one, you clearly don't windsurf enough, which could explain a few frustrations.

On my part, I have been very satisfied with Promotion products for the last ten years. Ok, the sticky material was a mistake, but that happens when you try to innovate.

My only concern with the staff at Promotion is that most of them switched to kiting. Wink Wink Wink
ericandholly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original thread was posted b/c of the apparant lack of response by PM to a known product defect -- in or out of warranty, the defect should have been repaired or replaced, and PM wouldn't be taking a hit to its previously strong product/service reputation. There is enough history on the original thread to show they botched this one repeatedly.

The auto industry analogy is weak -- if you follow that logic, PM should have sent a recall out to all purchasers and replaced all the suits. By not doing so, they avoided a much bigger hit than they apparantly took (suits that miraculously never failed, consumers who were too lazy or ill-informed to send in suits or demand a fix).

As for extended warranty retort, by example, I bought a suit b/c some a$$hole stole my new PM 5/3 suit at the beach. The stolen suit was subsequently recovered, so I bagged and didn't pull out the defective replacement suit until 2 years later . . . and it immediately failed (welded/tore) when I did. I won't go into detail, but the PM response when I retruned the nearly new, but admittedly older suit, was poor. It took several emails and 2 physical visits to the HR store to finally get them to begrudgingly, and not without accusation, (warranty waived, you bought discounted suit, etc. -- see similar stories on original post) replace the damaged/defective portion of the suit. Had they just done so up front and with a smile, the issue would be moot.

I feel for PM in buying defective materials, but who's fault is that? Sue the supplier, or do what you must, but don't whine to the customer about it -- at the end of the day, we don't care. Fix or replace our defective suits, or lose our business and recommendation and/or endorsement to the windsurfing community about your product and services.

In closing, it's nice to see PM is addressing the matter in this forum and that people still support them. As for me, my expereince will lead me to try another manufacturer . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: