myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speak Up for The Hatchery, Doug’s Beach, and Maryhill
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGW2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Speak Up for The Hatchery, Doug’s Beach, and Maryhill Reply with quote

What do Maryhill, the Hatchery, and Doug’s beach have in common? They are all managed by Washington State Parks.

As Washington State faces a potential $3 billion shortfall in the 2011-13 biennium, and an $8 billion shortfall in the 2013-15 biennium, these and other Washington State Parks are facing potential cutbacks and closures.

Learn more about Washington State’s budget issues [here].

How can I help?

The Washington State Governor’s Office is holding public hearings to get feedback on the public’s priorities. If you enjoy outdoor recreation and park services, these are a great way to share your priorities with the people who make the decisions. Two hearings remain:
- **TONIGHT!** July 27, 7–9pm.Gaiser Hall Clark College 1933 Fort Vancouver Way Vancouver
- July 29 5–7 pm. Spokane Community College Lair Student Center 1810 N. Greene St. Spokane
These hearings are critical to guiding the state’s priorities as they face major cutbacks. Your support for State Parks matters, and your presence is important.

What if I can’t make a hearing?

If you can’t make the hearings, the Governor’s Office has set up an online submission form [here]. You can also vote on other peoples’ submitted ideas. If you can’t participate in person, please participate in the online discussion.

What should I say?

Since the State is going to have to make decisions about all of their services, they need to hear that State Parks are an essential service of government. Talk about State Parks – say how important they are – and that’s it. DON’T say that they’re important, but so are all these other State services, as that will only downplay your point. DON’T offer up new revenue ideas for the parks, as that will only guarantee that the general fund support for parks and recreation will be cut further.

DO simply state that State Parks have been open and available for public use for 97 years, and we expect them to remain open.

Thank you for your help!

-Katie

Katie Crafts
Executive Director
www.GorgeWindsurfing.org
Join us on facebook!
GuyT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very scary news, The Gorge without the Hatch and Doug's would not be The Gorge.

The idea of closing down states parks was to me unthinkable a couple of years ago. But after seeing the closure of the public library in Hood River, everything seems possible now.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked why you no longer had to pay,, they just scratched their heads??? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fees are against state law. They don't want to offend anyone (or deal with any discrimination suits).

Mike
westender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Politico's are smart Reply with quote

Since they don't need my money.

Conspiracy theory #1. It's a Communist plot

The property will be sold. Get some good cash. Maybe build Condos. Time share as kiter retreats. Idea
Bret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Gifford Pinchot when we need him.

Pinchot used the rhetoric of the market economy to disarm critics of efforts to expand the role of government: scientific management of forests was profitable. While most of his battles were with timber companies that he thought had too narrow a time horizon, he also battled the forest preservationists like John Muir, who were deeply opposed to commercializing nature.[6]

It's a shame what has happened to America.

What needs to be addressed is-- the Gorge has revenue to small business owners such as gas stations, Kite boarders, windsurfers, and walmart, etc. Why focus on a park in the outer area's in no mans land such as Smokey creek camp ground outside of Trout Lake, when you have a world class windsurfing that brings revenue into the State?

The local Democrat politician should have done this right?
The Gorge is a National Scenic area and China needs to fund Dougs Beach, the hatch, the hatch cam, and the crap house out at smokey creek camp ground.

When I was a kid a Mongoose Bike was so awesome but now Walmart sells them made in China. It would be real shitty to see Walmart selling well whoever sells out a name brand board or sail or kite? It's coming protect your parks and small business owners! Support your local person who is not sold out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX1IB3RCLzg

other issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5cCzDbtVnM
Bond1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret wrote:

What needs to be addressed is-- the Gorge has revenue to small business owners such as gas stations, Kite boarders, windsurfers, and walmart, etc. Why focus on a park in the outer area's in no mans land such as Smokey creek camp ground outside of Trout Lake, when you have a world class windsurfing that brings revenue into the State?

The local Democrat politician should have done this right?

The problem always has been that 99% of the economy created by these Washington parks goes to Hood River (which doesn't benefit the state of Washington) and the rest goes to Bridge Mart.

(A slight exaggeration with those percentages, I know, but you get the point
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One exception is fairly significant: the people and families who moved to WA for the WSing. They spend a lot on stuff and taxes in WA, and use these parks heavily.

Is there a north American WSing venue better known throughout the world than the Hatchery?

Mike \m/
Bond1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
One exception is fairly significant: the people and families who moved to WA for the WSing. They spend a lot on stuff and taxes in WA, and use these parks heavily.

Mike \m/

It would be interesting to learn how big those numbers are. Of the dozens of people I know in Underwood and White Salmon, I can't think of one that sails the Hatchery. Some sail Dougs but don't like it much. Few sail Maryhill. Some have quit sailing altogether.

isobars wrote:

Is there a north American WSing venue better known throughout the world than the Hatchery?

Mike \m/

Not that I can think of.
bjamin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday Katie Crafts, president of the CGWA, stood up in front of a crowd of 400, including the governor of WA, two senators and several representatives and (in her own words) "other scary people", and spoke on our behalf for keeping these parks open.

We all owe Katie and the CGWA a big thanks for their time and effort in this matter. I'm proud to be a member of the CGWA. Thanks Katie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: