myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge Wind
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Gorge Wind Reply with quote

***WARNING!***BLASPHEMOUS CONTENT BELOW!***

Here's something that's not talked about much -- I think the wind in the Gorge SUCKS! Sure, it's windy a lot, but it's so freakin' gusty it's nearly impossible to sail normally when the wind is strong. I would go out for a reach, maybe two, then the wind would back off and I'd drop into the water & float downstream for a couple of minutes. I'd finally get a waterstart, and it would nearly blow the sail out of my hands, then back off again 3 minutes later. This is not my idea of fun, and it was repeated every time we tried to sail somewhere else near Hood River. When I'd ask the locals about it their replies would range from "Oh, it's a weird direction today" or "It's not normally like this, we had a cold June" or even "Oh, the sun went behind a cloud just then"(yes, really!). Only a few times did I hear what I suspect is the truth; "That's the Gorge!", or "Yeah, it's gusty here". Watch one of those videos that are going around right now, see anybody sheeted in & jamming? No. I'll give them credit for learning how to sail in those conditions, it's very challenging and radical, but survival sailing is not for me, I'm going to spend my next vacation at Rio Vista!

I'm probably going to hear a lot of crap from the Gorge lovers out there. I'd rather not defend myself endlessly on this subject, the above is my opinion, you're free to reject it and go there if you want to, many people do, every year.

Just not me.

Bond1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gorge Wind Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
***WARNING!***BLASPHEMOUS CONTENT BELOW!***

Here's something that's not talked about much -- I think the wind in the Gorge SUCKS! Sure, it's windy a lot, but it's so freakin' gusty it's nearly impossible to sail normally when the wind is strong. I would go out for a reach, maybe two, then the wind would back off and I'd drop into the water & float downstream for a couple of minutes. I'd finally get a waterstart, and it would nearly blow the sail out of my hands, then back off again 3 minutes later. This is not my idea of fun, and it was repeated every time we tried to sail somewhere else near Hood River. When I'd ask the locals about it their replies would range from "Oh, it's a weird direction today" or "It's not normally like this, we had a cold June" or even "Oh, the sun went behind a cloud just then"(yes, really!). Only a few times did I hear what I suspect is the truth; "That's the Gorge!", or "Yeah, it's gusty here". Watch one of those videos that are going around right now, see anybody sheeted in & jamming? No. I'll give them credit for learning how to sail in those conditions, it's very challenging and radical, but survival sailing is not for me, I'm going to spend my next vacation at Rio Vista!

I'm probably going to hear a lot of crap from the Gorge lovers out there. I'd rather not defend myself endlessly on this subject, the above is my opinion, you're free to reject it and go there if you want to, many people do, every year.

Just not me.

It can be a tough place to sail. If it's beyond your skills you should sail elsewhere. It's about having fun.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge is not for everyone, that's for sure. Bay Area has much steadier wind, and it blows almost as often. Stevenson is very steady, however. Depends upon where you sail.

Event Site usually sucks (MAJOR EXCEPTION OVER LAST DAYS), unless you rock racing gear, in which case you rig big and rage through the holes. Lots of local talent does just that every day--what holes? Other than that, I really can't figure out why people go there to windsurf when 90% of the time the wind is order of magnitudes better at Hatch/Swell/Stevenson/Rock Creek/Dougs...

Whatever floats your boat.

I love it here, but you have to learn to deal, drive; or not.

Last edited by ericandholly on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
delwood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie thanks for telling it like it is. Way to many people as well in the Gorge. Rio Vista sounds good. Good choice.
billgfc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need sails with the sailmakers #1 recommendation in mast, throw any stock fins that come with the board out and get good aftermarket quiver.

Be sure you have right volume board

board rig and fin all work together.. if one thing is off working through range not easy.

I have sailed the Gorge since I sailed alone with my girlfriend in 1980, also been to Rio Vista. The same quality will let you ride out puffs a little further in Rio and still come out of the jibe.

Plus get this all right and more time on water in flood tide,, use bigger, more fin and sail:)

Then you will be one with the wind anywhere:)
Georges

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found that after sailing the gorge on my yearly 3 week visit that returning to the bay offers few of the chalanges that can be found here,I am a much better sailor when I get back to the bay.PS.Any place can be "the best place I ever sailed" on any given day that is the nature of sports involving nature. Gman Oakland ca
tstizzle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
Bay Area has much steadier wind, and it blows almost as often.

actually, it blows in the bay a LOT more often than the gorge. it's significantly windier in the bay area (days of wind, not force of wind).

however, i just relocated to the bay. for the past 15 years: gorge. now: the bay. and i have to say, i miss it in the gorge.

spennie: go where you're happy. it doesn't make sense to do otherwise. but for the rest of us, the gorge offers something amazing. and after 2 years in the bay, i'd pick the gorge any day of the week. from variety to strength to temperature to community to attitude to critical mass to evening sessions to everything.

the gorge just rocks.
hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you are not having fun on the water, you can blame it on the conditions, you can blame it on your gear, or you can blame it on yourself (lack of skills or bad attitude).
I had a great time sailing from the Wall to Rufus (and back) this afternoon. The Maryhill meter showed lulls of 18 and peak gusts of 41mph while I was out which I think most people would consider to be quite gusty.
With the right gear (thanks Ezzy) and the right attitude (thanks Bart), you should be able to rig for the lulls and hang on through the gusts in less than ideal conditions.
heidi924ron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BYE
mikecole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat off topic but...

For summer sailing (flat water) would you pick the Gorge or Maui and why.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: