myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Multi Fin Confusion.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Multi Fin Confusion. Reply with quote

Now that fin confusion reigns in the wave board market, and nobody is sure how many, what size, what degree of tow in, staight or asymmetric, stiff or bendy, thick or thin, big ones in front or behind, where to buy single spares, and how many weeks are needed to read all the conflicting technical advice about the subject, should we ordinary average wave riders feel happier?

The surf doesn't change and neither will many of us (past a certain age Laughing ) so are some folk forgetting that it's all about enjoyment and satisfaction in the end!

My old original Evo 74 still has the power to make me wet my pants when 'surfs up' so why should I change?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it appears that you pose 3 questions, but the middle is more like a comment, but will treat as as feeler anyway.

NO
NO
DON'T

ALSO DON'T WET YOUR PANTS

toe depend s somewhat on 3 or 4 fins , or if the fins themselves are symmetrical (like normal windsurf fins or flat/semi/82-20 sided like most but not all surf board fins) if using symmetrical fins less toe, aymmetrical more toe, difference from 1 degree to maybe 2.25, many factors involved on the board itself, bottom shape and rocker being but 2.

no one is making a multi fin production board that I can recall (Kinetics tri fin may be exception) that has other than symmetrical fins, Witchcrafts tri fin does have , very slightly flat insides on its fins, but I can't see it.

if the intent is to enhance turning ability then I would setup with larger fin front, especially if the goal is tighter turns, if more drawn out speed turns are the goal, then larger in back, applies to 4 fins, AKA QUADs.

their has been some success with a tri fin, using a small center fin and larger side bites, always a option, so long as the side fin boxes accept a larger fin.

fin size on 4 fins or quads is somewhat limited , to the boxes used, with the production boards having a combination of US , mini US box, and Mini Tuttle, Starboard 2010 is using Surfinz box with FCS surf fins as part of the quad , their board having large fins front, with no option to swap front to back.

2011 will see a change from Tabou & Starboard , on multi fin boards will use the new Cobra made Slotbox, pioneered by Tabou , but not copywritten so anyone can use it, buy it, or make it. Its similar to a tuttle box, mini, but uses phillips head screws , 2 per fin, to secure fin to box to board, noteable is a current US box fin, will fit htis once the pin is removed and the base extensions revoved. other companies have continued with current box offerings, the Slotbox is very light weight, but suppose strength is questioned.

2011 will see even more multi fins Naish a long standing advocate of single will have a tri fin, Tabou will have all , probably Quatro as well.

Fanatic wanted a tri fin, but it did not work, their developement riders words, they will have a quad, after quite a lot of developement.

If I were inclined to purchase a quad, I would look pretty darn hard at Quatro or Fanatic.

tri fin, Witchcraft is impossible to beat IMHO

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardseeker on-line tests rated the Quatro multifin boards very highly. They are dialled in and work. Quote from test - 'in down the line conditions, there is no doubting that the Quatro quad is the best board we have ever sailed.'

Witchcraft too also have a strong following, and not just for their tri-fin configuration. They are built more strongly than most.

But none of our locals are biting! The long wind drought didn't help, but are the silly prices , and the perceived difficulty in setting them up also to blame? Maybe none of us feel good enough in surf to be seen carrying such a board down to the waters edge. (For experts only, and not mere mortals.)

For whatever reason, board sales over here seem to be hitting a brick wall, though kite, and especially S.U.P. sales are doing just fine.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience with my Witchcraft has been install the 3 supplied fins, and its worked dazzling from 6.0 to 4.0, the multi fins don't require so much change with sails.

tried a smaller set, and right away could tell they were too small, 4.0 weather will next will try just smaller side fins, with standard center.
one question you had in the OP was replacement fins, I would purcahse at least 1 set of smaller/larger in case of damage.

my Witchy has been very strong

new board prices for production board from Cobra are pricy, but compared to most everyday things have not increased in proportion.

lots of sailors hold on to gear or sail infrequent and don't have to have the next new trendy stick

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you U2U2U2. Looks like I'm talking myself into an upgrade. Witchy would seem the way to go - everyone who has one says so! Enthusiasm always costs money!

Only problem is I also want to try the new Exocet longboard. Surf, or race? Decisions decisions. Confused
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a Witchcraft what size ?

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be one of the Chakras, which will be more suitable for our local conditions. including onshore and bump and jump.

I know somebody who uses one, so I'm going to check things out through him. I can't run to two new boards so that's when the hard choice will have to be made. Race or surf. Oh dear!! Isn't life hard. Very Happy
vikingsail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is with the Hifly Madd board. At this point I have tested the following combinations of fins:
11-1/2 inch finworks weed fin with 24 cm surfgrass
11-1/2 inch finworks weed fin with 11 inch F2 CW freestyle wave fin
11-1/2 inch finworks weed fin with 26 cm tangent dynamics reaper weed fin.
11-1/2 inch finworks weed fin with 10-1/2 finworks wave fin.

As long as the flex is close there is no problem using different size/types of fins at the same time. Just select the fins that add enough area to what the conditions are.

The flex issue appeared because the surfgrass would flex and allow the stiffer weed fin to stall and cavitate as the board changed angle of attack.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
It'll be one of the Chakras, which will be more suitable for our local conditions. including onshore and bump and jump.

I know somebody who uses one, so I'm going to check things out through him. I can't run to two new boards so that's when the hard choice will have to be made. Race or surf. Oh dear!! Isn't life hard. Very Happy

I have never seen anyone in the USA mention one, where are you GURGLEPANTS ?

westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Multi Fin Confusion. Reply with quote

Before you throw your money away,, why don't you take a test ride??

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

My old original Evo 74 still has the power to make me wet my pants when 'surfs up' so why should I change?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: