myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Multi Fin Confusion.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple of short sessions on a local Gorge quad this weekend. Impressions:
• Soft ride even when way overpowered in Gorge chop.
• Ride was so soft it felt slow, but I had no problem passing some very good sailors who were well powered. Throw me in that kind of "slow" brier patch any time. It's polyester, which even with very little vee rides better than highly vee'd epoxies. My comparably shaped Evo XTV (get it ... eXTra Vee?) beats the crap out of me in those conditions. I have several epoxy boards in that size range noted for their smooth ride; they aren't even in the hunt in terms of this board's ride quality.
• Planes quickly. One sesh was cut short by dying wind near dusk; its planing power and balanced slogging gave me the confidence -- justified -- to milk it much longer than I would have on any of my narrower boards.
• Fantastic ride comfort.
• Turns. Front foot, back foot, in straps, out of straps, wide, tight, fast, slow, jibes, swell faces, chop … it turns.
• Gorgeous graphics IN, not ON, the hull, unlike all the epoxies with paint or decals on top of the hull.
• Points much higher, at speed, than any Gorge/wave/B&J board with comparable wavy fins I’ve ever ridden.
• Great pop; flies high on command on any decent bump.
• Or soak up the bumps and just cruise; it's your call on each bump.
• A team rider for a top world-wide quad design praised this board highly.
• I should add that its ride borders on the phenomenal.
• If a further, longer, test drive convinces me this board is fast and not JUST silky smooth, it may be the first board I’ve paid new list price for in … crap … lessee … about 15 years, for one simple reason: it may be the first board this century I’ve felt EARNED a new list price outlay IMO. A pair of expert coast and Gorge buds who watch their family expenses closely felt the same, buying two of them after one thorough demo.
• JEEZ but it rides smoothly.

Check ‘em out at http://www.northpacificsurf.com/surfb_sail.shtml .

Mike \m/
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NorthPacific board looks interesting, the small fins look to be Futures, and not very much toe

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Shocked
(shock)

Well, the next test will include a head to head comparison with a you-know-what. We shall see. Wink

Mike \m/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gemoore,

I've had good times with the Kona 11'5 in the gorge, ocean surf and flat water. From slogging to planing with tons of wind, I've been happy. So will you. It is a planing long board that surfs swells or actual surf very well. Plus, it's a long board that will chug, non-planing, thru the impact zone with very little wind. A reality here on the East Coast, lots of 8-14 mph side to side on dayz with good surf. Why struggle with short boards or paddles in conditions like that?

a quick pic:

playlinda shot 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.58 KB
 Viewed:  12669 Time(s)

playlinda shot 3.jpg

jettysept1IMG_3622.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.4 KB
 Viewed:  12669 Time(s)

jettysept1IMG_3622.jpg

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gemoore,

forgot to add, single fin, twin or thruster, if it's the right amount of lift yo drag, then it's all good. I tend to sail really powered so, I tend to like a larger single fin. Others like to sail less powered and are convinced that more fins are better? Dunno if that applies to you or not.

Have tried multi fins and am not that interested, but the 2011 Exocet long boards now have that option. I've rarely skipped out of any bottom turns or needed more grip than what I've had for the past 3 years....

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that quads are the future (saw it in a vision..... Wink ) but yes really, it will take some time to sort out the variations, and of course be more than 1 that will work, going to take some time for the concept to take a firm grip.

also some boards , like maybe the Kona , may just work better because of the board underside , rocker shape, et all.

that North PacificQuad boards being a prime example along side the others they show is all together different ,

expect a full report on the Kona, and further adventures in the Gorge Mike

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
I tend to sail really powered so, I tend to like a larger single fin. Others like to sail less powered and are convinced that more fins are better? Dunno if that applies to you or not.

Interesting and useful observation. When the guy who builds the board I mentioned is powered adequately a 4.7, I'm pumping a 6.2. Maybe that partially explains why I felt his fins slipping more often than I'm accustomed to. I blamed it on my faulty technique -- I usually still depend on slotted fins in demanding conditions -- but maybe it's not all my fault.

Mike \m/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slotted fins are brakes. Put the brakes on part of the windsurfing kit, then the other part(s) feel out of balance. Let the kit run to its full potential energy on tap, comfort returns. Pull it back, then other parts have to be pulled back too. I guess that's why racer heads run around with more sail, fin, board then most and don't seem uncomfortable as others?

I suppose that's why the really up and down days are less likely to bother those that like to stay big?

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since that last mph means squat to me, I notice a slot's benefits more when "sailing in three directions at once" than I notice its downside when mowing the lawn. 98% of the time I do just fine without a slotted fin, but when the chips are down and the wind and terrain are harsh and unforgiving, that hole in my fin lets me do more and slippey-slide less. The same goes for thrusters, for me.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: