myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge wind has not changed - your equipment is to blame.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
I find my Open Ocean 8-0 fits it's slot in my Gorge quiver perfectly. It's the do-all board for me in 5.0 conditions and any smaller sail sessions down to 3.7 where the wind is a bit too holey for my GA's to plane well through the lulls. I change boards sometimes instead of re-rigging a sail and it's nice to have the option of that floaty (for my weight) Open Ocean 8-0. It's easy to get on a plane, especially with my 10" light air fin, and while it's not as fast as a GA it goes through the holes for me quite nicely, and holds nicely in the gusts too. When I decided on the OO in this size the GA's of similar volume were too heavy. Lester did later come out with those epoxy GA's which fixed the weight issues in the larger sizes though. But Brian is still here making boards and I like to support that too.

Yup .... those larger glass GAs were heavy. I recently sold my glass California 7'10" GA because it is so much heavier than my epoxy GAs ... but, ya know, they sailed a lot alike in normal conditions despite the huge weight difference. I felt far more difference between OO's and GA's shapes than I did between lighter vs heavier weights, except when I tried sailing light epoxies before developing the extra skill they need in unusually big winds and chop.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
isobars wrote:
... and that's why I've owned well over a dozen GAs,

Wow, that's a lot of Gorge Animals.

That's why he's earned the name "Mike the Bonzer Nut"......

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing/browse_thread/thread/a80d475182d896a5/9457a3702da5f27c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=Mike+the+Bonzer+Nut

Yep, he's a regular zoo keeper with all his animals.

shreddbob wrote:

I find my Open Ocean 8-0 fits it's slot in my Gorge quiver perfectly.

I'd really like to know more about the newest generation OO compared to the older generations. Since Brian no longer builds them with the fast planning tiered design up front, do they get going on a plane as quickly?
How's the epoxy holding up compared to the old polyester?
Are there any known issues with the newer OO boards?

- WMP
shreddbob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my newest OO just before Clark foam disappeared. Haven't yet needed to replace. Brian's very good about repairs too...maybe to his detriment.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have to be one way. I have a quiver of boards from a 75 liter Roberts with thrusters and a long mast track up to a 107 liter pure freestyle board with a stubby fin. That Roberts doesn't get much use here in Norcal, but when it does - i.e. 3.5 in Tomales on an ebb - I find myself hucking where I would normally be cowering. When I went to the gorge, I lived on that board.

However, I need to have options here, and freestyle equipment offers a lot of fun where I would normally be sitting on the beach complaining. I gotta have a board I can sail from the lee side. Can't do that on a gorge board.

Steve
gwandsh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markandmonique wrote:

He was out on a circa 93-94-ish Gorge Sail and a Rutger board still ripping.

I watched a guy on a 20+ year old MW5 wave sail at Celilo a couple of weeks back. He laid down some excellent freestyle moves and a couple of loops in just a few minutes.

When I first saw him, I thought "Oh-oh, swap meet sail and tourist, gonna get spanked". My bad...
mez32522

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW5 is still modern, around '92-95.
I still use RushwindConverts against the newest Mike'sLabs,NaishSlalom, and Exocet and their '08+ sails to good effect. But nothing older than '91 is worth a salt.
My '98 Slab is equal to, but much longer than my '07 JPProSlalom84, but they work the same overall.
Incremental improvements since '92, but YOU were not a good sailior then, so could not appreciate the stuff out then. Bjorn, Anders, Antoine, Naish,Polakow, Bruce, Mike, THEN, with early '90's gear would still be the best sailiors on the water TODAY, anywhere in the world.
The new stuff is also in better condition than most '93 era sails.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mez32522 wrote:
MW5 is still modern, around '92-95.
SNIP
Bjorn, Anders, Antoine, Naish,Polakow, Bruce, Mike, THEN, with early '90's gear would still be the best sailiors on the water TODAY, anywhere in the world.

Mez, so true. The stuff I used in those days really was about as good as it could get. Custom Seatrends, Fiberspar everything, awesome sails, Curtis fins. I found that gear almost as racy as I find the newer stuff, although I can no longer sail on the ragged edge for as long. What the new stuff does offer is a very wide range of power and performance for more people. It's simply more accessible. I tweaked and dweebed until the cows came home to find that sweet spot. Now, it's more of a plug and play experience that can get most advanced windsurfers to speed and angles that were reserved for those willing to put in the real time. I think that's totally cool and wonderful for windsurfing's future.

Certainly the kids like it!
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mez32522 wrote:

Well................... yes, but not all.

Sure thing, my '93 sails ARE butt ugly..... smelly too..... and they got tons of battle scars from decades of extreme, wild abuse with all this Gorge nuker torture.

Consider it "building character" in a sail.... indeed, the aging process improved my particular sails, like what happens with a fine Red Bordeaux wine and a slow roasted chicken with aged cheddar cheese.

Yip, the sail shape has matured...... they now got a beer belly.

Personally, I think my '93 sails look just fine. Besides, I don't have to worry about getting my sails doody.... doggy can pee and poop on my sails all day long and I honestly don't much care. The smell keeps the Hatch mob at a comfortable distance.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that's yur wetsuit not yur sails. Still works though. ;*)

-Craig

WMP wrote:
Sure thing, my '93 sails ARE butt ugly..... smelly too. The smell keeps the Hatch mob at a comfortable distance.
mez32522

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 Rushwind Convert 5.7 have had -10 days of use, almost perfect condition.
My NPWCRacing 5.0 has less than 5 days of use.
Those '93 era sails match up to anything made today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: