myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ford Extended Van internal storage ideas
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericandholly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Ford Extended Van internal storage ideas Reply with quote

If anyone has removed benches and done a custom storage for wind gear I love to see a picture of it. Off the water for awhile and need a project before I go back to work.

Thanks,
Eric
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will keep you busy until you grow a new leg.

http://tinyurl.com/36lcxh

Mike \m/
mez32522

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gots one with full width ply across the back 5'6", masts and bases underneath, sails in middle (14), booms on left (7), boards on right and atop the sails (6).
Sleep in middle front, but one person.
Carry my kitesurfing stuff, surfing stuff, and tennis gear also in it. But not the longer directional kiteboards or funboards. Those come in when a couple windsurf boards get removed.
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my nearly 14-year-old van interior and the racks I built. Keep in mind that I'm a professional carpenter/cabinetmaker, and this was one of the most technically difficult things I've ever done. The racks fold flat so you can use the van as, well, a van when you're not sailing. Had a lot of hardware issues, too, since I was just buying off-the shelf hinges, latches, etc.

A good simple solution is the one used by Al's windsurf vans on Maui. You build two wide "ladders", one front & one back for your boards, and hang your booms on the side of them; sails, masts & accessories on the floor.

P.S. The thing on the right in the picture is a doggie platform between the seats, complete with padded safety rails. I love my doggie!

L side racks lo-res.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.15 KB
 Viewed:  24621 Time(s)

L side racks lo-res.jpg

spennie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this photo on the internet, now this is simple! Sheet of 3/4" plywood, couple hinges & a jigsaw, you're good to go!

Watch the spacing between boards whatever kind of racks you build--You won't always have the same board(s), so allow plenty of room for rocker, footstraps, etc.

Plywood Racks from internet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.79 KB
 Viewed:  24616 Time(s)

Plywood Racks from internet.jpg

scottwerden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:

P.S. The thing on the right in the picture is a doggie platform between the seats, complete with padded safety rails. I love my doggie!

I hope you have a grill on the front of that dog platform. Said pooch becomes a windshield-seeking missile in the event of a head-on collision. Dogs are pretty vulnerable in cars - no seat belts, no air bags.
bil7y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: IKEA Reply with quote

I went through this process and all the expense, hassles and plans were discouraging. I too have the xtd ford van. Some of these examples are no doubt sweet set ups. If only I wasn't 1-lazy and 2- poor I would love to have them. After much toiling I came up with a cheap and easy solution. 3 tier IKEA Coffee Tables! I bought 6 of them for under 90 bucks! I have three levels with 9 sails 5 windsurfer boards, Two SUPs(one is 12'6"). One surfboard and all the booms and masts in the van. The tables come out in modules so I can have all, some, or none in and don't care if they get trashed. Had them in for two months now and am really happy.

David
www.waterhound.com
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea! Not everyone's a professional carpenter, and your setup sounds like a cool solution, I love creativity. I'd like to see pictures of that, and no, I'm NOT being sarcastic.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Van storage Reply with quote

I cannot do justice to the ideas and skills of some of these craftsmen. But I do know that Ikea has stuff that is ready-made or modifiable including loft beds and vertical hanging collapsable storage (for clothes, toiletries, etc.).

I think it's nice to have a dedicated bed (or mostly-dedicated) though. This means locating it up high. You don't need much space for this; just enough for Holly to sit up plus 8" or so.

Wink
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Ikea shelves were those? Love the idea.

Thanks,
Eric
Hood River
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: