myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who's got the oldest still in use rig?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdwind29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Who's got the oldest still in use rig? Reply with quote

I have to say I'm on old equipment, even some back to the 70's.

Have an old wind & surf glass board from the 70's, an origanal e-rock from bic in 85'. one sail must be 20 yrs old, but have some newer sails also. have three newer boards , but love my old wind and surf the best.

What do you got??? Question
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1983 Mistral Competition Epoxy with original Regatta sail, tiny storm sail (still rigged on the 8' boom) and Regatta centerboard.

I last sailed in in 2009. Just as fun as when it was new.
lasrer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rediscovered my 7'11" Wind and Surf circa mid 80s on a day in the upper 20s this year on lewis bay. Very cushy ride compared to the slalom gear I was on. I felt the extra weight of the board, but it kinda steadied out the ride.

Richie Buehn is still around, and has an F24 trimaran like mine, in Fl. We email every once in a while about the boat, but I always remind him what a great board shaper he was. The board is in very good shape but the paint job has faded over the decades. He also did some amazing paint jobs!

ed
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compete in Long Island's East Coast Windsurfing Festival races on a 1983 Mistral Superlight. The sail is modern, though.

Superlights are forever (except for the retractable fins, which eventually break)

amarie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is someone here who breaks out the original mistral longboard and original windsurfer sail about once a year and does freestyle. then he lets people try it and even sailing in a straight line is extremely hard. he makes it look easy.
jdwind29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i have is pretty old gear. I still keep up with all the new rigs, and am quite used to it. I would love to trry a brand new super light rig. still love my wind & surf, even though the board is going to have dent holes soon. its been taking a beating while jumping this year. can you put pads on an old glass board? anyone, bueller, bueller Rolling Eyes
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't put pads on an old nonskid with compression dents, no

you can't wear white after labor day either

"It's just not done....."

faller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got my 1983 Mistral Superlight, with rig, but haven't sailed it in a while due to not being able to get in in or on my van.

I do have a 2nd original Mistral Superlight, with rig, that is being held in my storage space in RI for its owner. The elderly owner, who does not windsurf anymore, or use the internet, would like to get some few dollars for it, and it is listed under my name on the buy/sell list here on iWindsurf. It is for pick up only. In very nice, if a bit dirty, condition. I can relay interested offers if anyone is interested.
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in love with my 1991 Haut. Used as my default board for all good days.

Can you put pads on an old board? Sure thing! Here’s another relic (1985 Island Windsurfing) that had not seen the light of day for over 10 years. Now my son’s paddler. He’s had about 25 pond sessions so far this year.

RC

Picture 017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  578.62 KB
 Viewed:  24165 Time(s)

Picture 017.jpg

ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that I’m here, I’m proud to announce to OUTCAST and Jerry that I successfully earned my learners permit row’n the waves yesterday.

After being told that I couldn’t partake in a planned off-Cape shopping trip yesterday due to a Doctor’s appointment, I’d told one comrade from work don’t plan on me as I’m heading out with sandwich and surfboard in hand for an extended nooner.

The Bowl was breaking pretty good but no one was out. Not wanting to be the only shark bait plus the chance to surf with a father & son team, met last summer, we had a great time on the inner break. 3 guys trading G rated trash talk then a brother and sister were added in. All found something to like.

Dad’s PSH 10-xx bought last fall from the Pump House came on the roof rack and was passed around by all who dared. Once I was satisfied that a full surf session was accomplished, I traded my Robert August for the SUP. I wasn’t gonna fool around, straight out to the bowl, and snagged a nice thigh+ high on the first attempt with that virgin board. That thing didn’t even have a paddle scuff mark on it. I ended up with3 great long rides out of five attempts; all from outside to the shore.

It was an ego boost, but still can’t find the loose cash for another board just yet.

That was it, had to go. And then I saw OUTCAST on suicide alley, after what I suspect was his hooky session.

There was OUTCAST again today heading out for a late afternooner. May I suggest that you save your gas money and buy a second house close to Nauset? Very Happy

RC

Last edited by ron.c on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: