myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who's got the oldest still in use rig?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
SNIP
If windsurfing really is fading out, and it seems that way in some places, it'll still take the rest of a lifetime to use up all the old stock! SNIP

Is this the golden age of windsurfing, despite the decline in numbers? Seems so!

Not so fast. Windsurfing numbers are way up in the USA -especially among kids. We've seen over 50 new windsurfing instructional programs start in the last 3 years, teaching literally thousands of kids each summer.

True, windsurfing will never see the numbers that other sports like soccer or bicycling enjoy, but that popularity isn't necessary for a vibrant windsurfing scene.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: JBD sails Reply with quote

I have been following this thread for some time now and was wondering if I would post or not. Then I thought, maybe someone of my earlier customers might do so on my behalf.
I am Jeff Brown of JBD windsurfing sails, made from 1985-2000, but now just a pastime hobby as I create in my “loft-lab”.
I always took pride in providing what I considered some of the longest lasting and bullet-proof sails on the market. Prior to my JBD custom line, I worked for Hood Sails, learning the trade, and had put the same quality and construction into those lines from 1983-85.
Materials and construction methods are what makes anything last, even by today’s standards.
Back then, I had access to exotic fabric supplies, like Spectra, Technora and of course Kevlar. Together, when used with other materials like 3Ply scrim mylar, these sails seemingly would last forever. The thread material and stitch type would also provide addition longevity. I would use UV resistant V-69 & V-92 thread, with a custom built 5 step zig-zag sewing machine, one that would make 5 stitches for every zig-then 5 back. The result was a tight stitch, resistant to chafe, but would stretch as required. This was an excellent type of stitch for “open weave 3 ply scrim mylar” where each stitch would grab the scrim strands.

By other manufacturer standards, thread type was never UV grade, and the stitch would be wide open “3-step”. Around 1987 the use of monofilm came into the picture, and although it was surely a stable material as far as stretch characteristics goes, the UV was seriously detrimental and caused sails to disintegrate rapidly. Nice option for the manufacturers with a built in “design obsolesce”.

I must admit though, at one point I decided to start using mono for my windows, but I made the window on each sail with an integrated “frame” panel construction which would allow the easy replacement if needed.

I watch the current design trends carefully these days, and I do see some very suspicious looking designs similar to my earlier career, much to my liking!
But equally so, I see as many, or more designs that are “clearly” intended to have a very limited lifespan. (yea-a pun!)

I never made a lot of money building my sails, but I did make ones that last and many are still being used today by some of my oldest customers, some sails over 20+ yrs!

I still make my own sails from time to time, but really, the ones I make now are even longer lasting than before, so, I just keep using the same ones!
Sadly, this past Fall season I have been out of commission for sailing due to hand surgery (carpul bla..bla..)
I did enjoy reading and watching the recent wave event at Corp! ….should’a been there!….

Jeff
kajTEK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started windsurfin in Jan 2007 in Tampa FL.. relativly new to it.. but as I surf its a great way to have fun,exercize,and most important get board time...and I hit the wind and waves every chance i get (surf all the hurricanes and tropical waves this year both east and west coast FL)

Luckly i have people that really cared about getting me up and going.. (like Steve and Mike Thiel of WaterSportsWest) -(and ppl i met windsurfin Mike/Nancy) and they helpd me understand that OLD Boards are still GREAT boards.. and not to get snooty(or bummed about not being able to afford to buy) newest expensive stuff..

So I got a collection (6) of old windsurf boards I found around FL (most of which ppl gave me as they here too big to sit in garages or yards and they didnt wanna use or didnt know how to) and I have a blast on all of them
My 3 favorite old boards are(in no order)
1)Mistral Shredder: wow on lite wind 16ish with an 8.5 I get great runs, good turns,and fun jumps!
2)Mistral Equip (basically a longer version of the shredder- SOMEONE STOLE THIS BOARD From ME!!! ARRG! they probably threw it away too thinking it was a SUP)
3)Mistral SuperLight: WOW what a crazy fun hull surf,sup,and windsurf board! just surprises me everytime i ride it even if its only blowin 12 (the original fin isnt there as ive seen pics of the fold up before..instead someone rigged it with a surf finbox.. got super lucky on this find and got the board for great deal as owner had no idea what to do with it.

I have a 3 other old boards..all BICs and they are fun too (one is soldi plastic and I imagine will last forever)..

got surf and windsurf pics on my blog (inspired by blogs ive seen on this forum!)
http://sideoffsurf.blogspot.com/
and on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photos.php?id=100000688244843

anyone in FL give me a shout.. I also would love to meet up with ppl on the east coast of Fl and get some wavesailing done!
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I have many JBD sails which are all still in excellent condition even after many years of heavy use. They still sail as good as any current sail and are unbeatable on the ice. The only downside is they don't get used much now since I converted to the dark side a couple of years ago. when the conditions are right my 3.7 from 1986 still sails like a new sail. If I could only get him to design kites!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems clear that the trend with modern boards has been towards performance, and more performance, at the expense of user friendliness and ease of use.

Returned yesterday to a place last windsurfed 10 years ago to check using a modern J.P. F S W 84 against the memory of using an older more user friendly board in the same conditions. (Very gusty 4.7 winds with gnarly mixed swell and steep chop.)

The J.P. proved a pain to use. Far too fast if let rip, and a struggle to cope with. Not at all as it used to be sailable on the older easier board.For those younger hot shots with the ability and nerve to let fly and go for it with modern boards, they've never had it so good, but are most windsurfers really in that category? Learners and improvers certainly aren't.

There must be a demand for gnarly conditions control boards. After all, it's the thrill of being out there in such going that gives 'the stoke', not the last knot of speed before the inevitable splatterpult!
Gerda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: JBD at Kalmus today Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

Enjoyed your post.

Lincoln B. was sailing a JBD at Kalmus today. I don't know how old the sail is but it looked good and sailed well.

Regards HBR
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To HBR and all those who sailed at Kalmus today.

I thought I took it easy due to being way way over-powered on a 4.0.

After a nap, which every old man is entitled to, I feel like I've been jack-hammered!

It had to be blow'n harder than the low 30's the airport reported.

RC
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: JBD at Kalmus today Reply with quote

Gerda wrote:
Hey Jeff,

Enjoyed your post.

Lincoln B. was sailing a JBD at Kalmus today. I don't know how old the sail is but it looked good and sailed well.

Regards HBR

Hi Gerda! Thanks for the spotting & post!

Linc has a 4.1M single cam sail #339, built 9/28/1991
He has sailed that thing as hard as anyone of my customers!

Being a Kalmus regular, that size got used a lot, in some conditions where I did not think it was even possible, both heavy & light air.
The sail has survived at least one mast break as well!

He has also attained a top radar speed of 59MPH with the 4.1 on Ice! Another feat not thought possible with such a "large" sail for that use. Very Happy

Currently he is the Hyannis Yacht Club Commodore too! Razz
That'a boy Linc!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For own satisfaction been trying to determine where the best balance between shorter and wider and longer and narrower lies, for the widest range of use in moderate wind strengths. For me, at 82 ish kg. it's around 60 cm wide and 95 ish litres.

Ended up comparing 04 Fanatic Cross 99 (255 by 60), with current favourite Exocet Cross 94 (239 by 59).

Both are good all rounders but with a different feel. Took one and a half hours to get re acquainted with the older Fanatic, and not impressed at first. Gradually readjusted and ended up with big beaming smile on face!

Can't say that one is better than the other, though I still prefer the Exocet, but I concluded that windsurfing for us addicts is like fashion is for women. Too many of us won't be seen dead on last seasons stuff!

Well I'm glad I kept all my older boards because I'm currently having more fun than for ages. It's amazing how much we forget!!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! Another birthday gone (73 now). Obviously past best but not by too much, thank goodness. But time to rethink priorities before banging head against brick wall.

Tried a lot of old and different boards lately and realise that it no longer matters whether fastest, out in the big surf, or jumping heavens high. The satisfaction now is being able to remain competent at what you're doing, while using gear that has a special feel. If that means curtailing the wild side, staying in moderate sized surf, not jumping sky high, and calling a halt to charging hard in gales so be it!

The goal is to still be getting satisfaction at performing competently within limits in 10 years time, rather than crying in my coffee (don't drink) at having 'lost it.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: