myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who's got the oldest still in use rig?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Hmmm! Another birthday gone (73 now). Obviously past best but not by too much, thank goodness. But time to rethink priorities before banging head against brick wall.

Tried a lot of old and different boards lately and realise that it no longer matters whether fastest, out in the big surf, or jumping heavens high. The satisfaction now is being able to remain competent at what you're doing, while using gear that has a special feel. If that means curtailing the wild side, staying in moderate sized surf, not jumping sky high, and calling a halt to charging hard in gales so be it!

The goal is to still be getting satisfaction at performing competently within limits in 10 years time, rather than crying in my coffee (don't drink) at having 'lost it.'

73?? Dang! If that ain't inspirational I don't know what is! Good for you GT!

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir, but I'm sure there are many more.

Would like to hear their thoughts on performing.
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread about who has the oldest rig?, or who is the oldest rigger?

I can't remember.

outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy can tell you what it's like to be old and on the water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7OYrPoiNGA

I really don't know if he is ripping, or falling apart. I do hope to find out personally, and if some young whipper-snapper gives me any grief, I guess I would be mature enough not to give a shit

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
Is this thread about who has the oldest rig?, or who is the oldest rigger?

I can't remember.

The two might go hand in hand..... Cool

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
This guy can tell you what it's like to be old and on the water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7OYrPoiNGA

I really don't know if he is ripping, or falling apart. I do hope to find out personally, and if some young whipper-snapper gives me any grief, I guess I would be mature enough not to give a shit

Oh we can only hope we can do that when we're 91.......Hell, I hope I can do that when I'm 71

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I'm sure there are many more [geezers here]. Would like to hear their thoughts on performing.

Here are a few:
• More, and more effective, gym time in the off-season.
• Selected specific maintenance exercises in-season.
• Don’t try to squeeze major gym workouts in between windy days. REST.
• Pay special attention to rotator cuff and scapular stability.
• Careful harness line balance and roller bar to protect forearm tendons.
• Learn to use harness in maneuvers we used to do with our arms.
• Wear more body armor because we heal so slowly.
• Recognize and mitigate dangerous conditions, including using more suitable equipment or even waiting them out on land or in the water.
• Pay more attention to hydration and nutrition, especially protein.
• Avoid the Team Advil paradigm; NSAIDS weaken tendons and don't alleviate what we mistakenly call tendonitis.
• Warm up body and muscles to the point of sweating before launching.
• When something hurts, fix it BEFORE it gets chronic.
• Rewind your life’s tape and play hard all your life. Your body will adapt.
• Sell your biggest sail. Its ratio of fun to forearm stress is pretty dang low.
• Save your tiny sinker for monster conditions; they’re rough on forearm tendons.
• Stay on top of your health. No point in letting avoidable or fixable medical problems stop us before we simply wear out.
• Rig bigger; slogging is hard frigging work.
• When tired, GET YER ASS BACK OUT THERE. We don't have the luxury of resting just because we're tired, because we have only years, not decades, left. I know people who quit just because it's supper time, not because it's too dark to see any longer.

Mike \m/
RBee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Geezers and geezer gear. Reply with quote

I am ...errr, umm, a VERY late starter.
I think I've said in other threads that I have this Budweiser promo BIC board and 5.7 sail that we played around with some time in the early 90s (probably under the influence of water and other liquids), then stowed it in the rafters at a lake club and went back to water-skiiing.
It was forgotten until last year, when I started to use it as a SUP - with a double ended kayak paddle.
This year I tried to sail it, the sail had not been eaten by vermin or maggots, the mast base was missing but I got a replacement for that.

It will take a while, my balance and coordination may not be what they used to be, my reflexes are more "dampened", which seems to be a good thing in most other things that I do (or in how I now do them) I am less given to over-reacting with sudden weight shifts, that sort of thing.

I got a decent SUP this year too (with a REAL paddle) and I'm seriously considering a very small sail for that, just to putz around in deliberate displacement mode and help others join in the fun of the basics.

Wild winds and ocean swells ?
Maybe, if I live long enough to get good enough to get out in it (-:
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not surprising that some recreational windsurfers are content with older gear. In recalling good sessions it's not the board and rig that figure as much as what was actually achieved. That's especially true with journeys.

Windsurfers were no less enthusiastic or happy in the 80's and 90's, and they didn't obsess so much over their gear. Those who've been in windsurfing for years, long ago reached a performance plateau with little realistic hope of massive improvements. To hell with all the marketing hype and sticking box loads of fins in boards to take us to 'the next level'.

If only we could bring back the fun semi competitive club scene which used to exist before the gear twerps bought their way to success, and killed it all off.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
It's not surprising that some recreational windsurfers are content with older gear. In recalling good sessions it's not the board and rig that figure as much as what was actually achieved. That's especially true with journeys.

Windsurfers were no less enthusiastic or happy in the 80's and 90's, and they didn't obsess so much over their gear. Those who've been in windsurfing for years, long ago reached a performance plateau with little realistic hope of massive improvements. To hell with all the marketing hype and sticking box loads of fins in boards to take us to 'the next level'.

If only we could bring back the fun semi competitive club scene which used to exist before the gear twerps bought their way to success, and killed it all off.

Hey GURGLETROUSERS, Check out what's happening on your side of the Pond! http://www.rya.org.uk/programmes/team15/about/Pages/default.aspx

We at US Windsurfing and US Sailing are working very hard together to create a model resembling the RYA's Team 15. The distance between windsurfing population centers is much smaller in Britain compared to the USA, but we do have clusters of windsurfers and an ever-expanding list of clubs and sailing centers investing in the one-design gear. Just like the old days!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: