myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
MA Launches between Nahant and Eastern Point
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: MA Launches between Nahant and Eastern Point Reply with quote

Hey!

I just moved to Lynn, MA and I've been out a couple times from the causeway in Nahant. Wondering what are the other windsurf launches in the area, and which get the best wind and waves in different wind directions. Thinking about feasible after-work locations; not driving all the way down to the cape.

Thanks,
James
swmckay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MA Launches between Nahant and Eastern Point Reply with quote

- NAHANT
Best directions: NNW to NE

You've already found this. After nor'easters, you can get logo high waves once you've got past the shore break. But the shore break can stymie the very best local sailors -- it can be endless.

- REVERE BEACH -- in Revere
Best directions: NE, SE

This can get nice chest to head high peeling waves with side-shore conditions, making for nice gentle wave sailing. It seems best when the tide is starting to go out, at the north end of the beach.

This is also a good, safe kiting spot in side-shore winds.

- PLEASURE BAY -- William J Day Blvd, Boston MA
Best directions: ENE through SW; avoid in WSW through N

Nice, safe sailing spot. Flat water, totally enclosed. It can be a total blast in storm conditions (like hurricanes), because even if the wind hits 60mph, you can always just drop your rig and get blown to shore.

You can also sail outside of the "bowl" in southerly winds.

- SQUANTUM -- Shoreham St, Quincy MA
Best directions: WSW through NNW

When the wind speed is good at Pleasure Bay but the direction is wrong (WSW to NW), go a bit further down Rt 93 to Squantum. Again, this is flat water sailing, but the bump-and-jump can be a total blast. Rig on the side of the road on Shoreham St, then just carry your gear across the street to the obvious launch area.

P.S. Dude! Lynn! What were you thinking?!?!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooooot!

Nahant was fantastic today in the N / NW conditions. Cleanest waves I have ever sailed, and perfect side-off conditions to be powered most of the time on my 6.8 and 106 liter board. I'm not used to waves being so widely spaced and breaking so cleanly over such a long, gradually sloping beach. Amazing. Smile

-J
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Wooooot!

Nahant was fantastic today in the N / NW conditions. Cleanest waves I have ever sailed, and perfect side-off conditions to be powered most of the time on my 6.8 and 106 liter board. I'm not used to waves being so widely spaced and breaking so cleanly over such a long, gradually sloping beach. Amazing. :)

-J
Don't you live in Fort Pierce? Revere Beach and Nantasket are similar. It is a lot of fun when the winds are right and the tide high. However, it doesn't happen regularly.
windswell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Marblehead, Gloucester and Essex and Ipswich Reply with quote

Marblehead, Gloucester and Essex and Ipswich all have beaches with waves in various wind directions, though the wind is fickle and water is cold. I haven't been up that way for years.

Pavillion Beach over to the south end of Plum Island can be great in a NE, but wicked tides, so don't sail alone.

Wingaersheek in Gloucester and it's private extension Coffin Beach bordering Essex Bay is often good on NW and offers incredible variety and is safer than Pavilion .
jayturcot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

Just moved here as well! Had my first session on a NW at Nahant Saturday (met locals John and Daniel).

Saw your slalom video on your blog from yesterday Douglass (I assume it was you).

This weekend looks like it could be good there... (if you trust a forecast 5 days out).
Someone correct me if I'm wrong: strong NE winds for a day (Saturday) clocking to NW (Sunday) should set up some gentle waves at Nahant with side-offshore winds?
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned at the Pavillion at Ipswich, another great location nearbye is called Eagle Point. Mapquest Eagle Hill Rd and you'll see it. You have to time it 3 hours on either side of high tide but it's a cool place to hit.

DC
blockidog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MA Launches between Nahant and Eastern Point Reply with quote

James,

nice meeting you on Fri.

Best direction for Nahant - S to SW (IMHO). Great starboard jumps. If there is swell, great/clean wave sailing. SE works real well also.

NE - launch from King's Beach in Lynn just before the Swampscott town line. Holey getting out but it gets you into the wave for front-side rides to the rotary.

As you know, Fri (WSW) and Sat (WNW) went off with 3' to 5' ground swell...

d0uglass wrote:
Hey!

I just moved to Lynn, MA and I've been out a couple times from the causeway in Nahant. Wondering what are the other windsurf launches in the area, and which get the best wind and waves in different wind directions. Thinking about feasible after-work locations; not driving all the way down to the cape.

Thanks,
James
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blockidog-

Yeah, Friday and Saturday were awesome with the side-off 4.2 wavesailing at Nahant. I put those videos on my blog. Your sail probably flashes by at some point.

Can't wait to try Kings Beach on a NE.

-James
blockidog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If today's IW forecast holds, Nahant will be good this aft/eve...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: