myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Missing Windsurfer at Rowena Sunday Aug 22nd
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Missing Windsurfer at Rowena Sunday Aug 22nd Reply with quote

Thanks to all fellow sailors and Wasco County Sheriffs who went searching for my missing friend Tony at Rowena yesterday.

After 3 hours missing - Tony finally showed up walking west along the railroad tracks - carrying all his borrowed gear!

We're all glad Tony is o.k., (with the exception of sore feet).

CU Salin,

Mike

jota

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most people can't stand booties - but all it takes is one walk along RR tracks (or climb up a blackberry-choked embankment) to change your mind.

Once I got used to booties it's no big deal, although I don't wear them all the time.

Glad Tony is okay.
gwandsh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Booties good and bad Reply with quote

yeah, booties are a good idea around most Gorge sites.

In the early spring mine were too small and I ended up splitting a toenail. It has been very tender growing back in, and I haven't been able to wear booties as a result.

I must say I like the feel of bare feet when sailing, but carrying gear out of the water on a big day can be really painful.
SamD0g

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen folks with bootie pack things. I think some you put on like a back pack and some attach to the rig somehow. Not sure.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why was he doing the walk of shame??? If people need to go barefoot to be able to "feel" their board, that's their buisness. Laughing Laughing Laughing
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I prefer not to wear booties either. Sometimes my feet get pretty sore, and there's been a time or two I've had to make "the walk" barefooted..., but to me it's worth it Razz

CU Salin'

Mike

SamD0g

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, personally, make it a point to cultivate bootie wearing friends. They can sail over and shove your gear through the puckerbrush if necessary. One can then continue one's walk of shame in water deep enough so you are just barely touching bottom. Done it a couple of times. Not pretty but it works. NEVER make fun of bootie wearers.

Razz
gwandsh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried my new "invention" out last weekend. An anchor with 4-5 feet of old line attached and a floaty chunk of sponge at the top.

When I launch in flip-flops, I walk to thigh-deep water, drop the anchor down, and slip the spongy end through the flip-flop straps. The flip-flops float themselves, so it's a matter of having them stay put at the launch site.

Worked great in lighter winds, I just sailed back to the spot I left them and slipped my flip-flops on. When it got over 30 knots my anchor proved too light and I had to do a "walk of invention" to find my device with my flip flops about 100 feet downwind and under the bushes.

So, some quick release velcro for the strapping, a variable sized anchor, and I'll sit back and let the royalties come flooding in Wink
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenius! Try that at The Hatchery Smile
jesusjones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: shrinky dink Reply with quote

Sandals down to the launch is always a good idea. If you end up having to walk, look for ways to make homemade sandals using rubber, bark, or whatever expedient items may be available to form the sole. Just add something stringy like and make the straps. OR, Leave your gear and walk through the grass along the river. Swimming this time of year without your gear is an option too, just park her on the bank and retrieve later. I recommend the back stroke for better tanning effects. Or walk along the tracks; I don’t know? I have done this once at Rooster Rock in 40mph E. head winds for a loooong way Crying or Very sad . It wasn’t shameful, it was punishment. That’s how ya learn I suppose?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: