myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Friday Night Formula Racing at the Stfyc in 25 knots!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bil7y

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Friday Night Formula Racing at the Stfyc in 25 knots! Reply with quote

“Shouldn’t we be racing slalom?” That was what the fleet was saying as they gazed out on to a San Francisco Bay this past August 27th for the Friday Night Windsurfing races at the St. Francis Yacht Club. With winds averaging 27mph and gusting to 33mph, and a 2 knot ebb the turning the water a frothy white there aren’t many fleets in the world that would dare take Formula Gear out on the water but that’s just what the 11 sailors, including two juniors did.

It was simply stonking as the fleet headed off the beach for the start of race one with most on 9.0 or 9.5 sq meter sails. Steve Bodner however was ready to rock and jumped out to an early lead with Seth Besse and me rounding right behind him. With Course A (simple windward leeward) the call by the honorable Race Committee just holding it together to be at the leeward mark in one piece was priority one. Seth and I sailed further down the first leg than Bodner who jibed outside first. As we approached the leeward mark Seth and I had both reeled him in with Besse in front and me 5 feet behind him. I tacked first and was headed for victory with Besse over standing the finish line. Unfortunately I did not see an oncoming Al Mirel on starboard tack and fouled him badly sending him in to the drink. I did my 360 but in this fleet one mistake sends you to the back of the pack. Besse took the win, Bodner grabbed second, and Chris Radkowski took third.

Race two and it was still blowing doors. Al Mirel, Steve Bodner, Chris Radkowski and Seth Besse all jumped out to an early lead with Mirel setting the pace. After rounding the mark and Al set a blazing course for the leeward mark I caught a great puff at the same time the water flattened out and was able to pass Radkowski. About 300 yards before the mark a 30ft pleasure sailboat was just where Mirel and Bodner did not want it to be. Both were forced to sail an awkward line in an attempt to not t-bone it. In the process as Mirel headed down he came up the backside of a massive piece of chop that sent him skyward getting a good foot of clearance below the bottom of the fin. It was a monumental jump and I had the perfect view as I chased him down. As he landed he was being rounded up slightly at the same time Bodner was trying to stay deep with the two sailors only a few feet apart. It could have been ugly but both sailors held it together and sailed on. I took advantage of all the mayhem however to round the leeward mark in front of them and had even reeled in Besse who had sailed beyond the mark in an attempt to make a safe jibe. As we headed to the sea wall I again tacked early and again there was Mirel – thankfully this time I saw him – so I sat still waiting for his move. Besse got the bullet, I took second and Mirel rounded out the top 3.

Race three and by now the wind had subsided a bit as had the tides making for more civil conditions. This time I got a great start and was first to the windward mark. However I was not first to round it having fallen in right at the mark. Bodner, Besse, Chris Radkowski and Mirel all took advantage of my swimming position to sail right on by. With Course C being the choice of the committee that meant we had to do a beam reaching leg. Radkowski thought he heard some music and on the downwind leg started dancing doing a perfect set of splits on the dance floor that was his Mikes Lab L10. Doing the splits however while racing is not fast allowing a few boards to pass him by. As we headed to the reaching mark Besse was out in front but only by about 15 feet with Bodner and I locked in a battle for second. As we jibed the reaching mark I caught a super nice puff and rode the seawall clew first for a bit so I could lay the leeward mark. Meanwhile Tom Purcell was running us down from behind. Besse rounded first with me in second and Purcell in third. Purcell tacked early and it was a brilliant move. Besse tacked to cover but it looked like Purcell was going to get it. Besse however got his grind on and just barely overtook Purcell for the win.

Race 4 saw Tom Purcell simply put the hammer down. First board to all the marks he won the race by the biggest margin of any racer in any race on the night. Besse and I were mixing it up for second with Besse again coming from behind on me on the last leg to take the win. When Besse decides to sail fast he’s pretty much untouchable and just imagine if he actually practiced.

Race 5 now saw near normal conditions for racing as the breeze had backed off now to relatively tame 20 mph gusting 25. Purcell again jumped out to an early lead with Besse and I chasing him down. I managed to pass Tom on the downwind by again running the seawall. Besse rounded in third but made a perfect rounding maintaining his speed and angle. Purcell made a super aggressive tack and headed for the line but would need to sail a very tight line to make it. Besse however put a little in the bank and when he tacked over he had better position to sail fast without pinching and simply sailed right on by Purcell to take the win.

It was a great night of racing and I can’t remember a night with so many lead changes. Usually it’s a bit of a parade but this night saw the leader at the leeward mark sometimes coming in third. The next race is Sept 7th with only one more race after that on September 24th before the season draws to a close.

Complete Results and lots of great photos use the link below.

http://www.waterhound.com/friday-night-formula-windsurfing-racing-stonker-at-the-st-fyc.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: