myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing trip turns into waterlogged nightmare
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Windsurfing trip turns into waterlogged nightmare Reply with quote

Found in today's Examiner:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Windsurfing-trip-turns-into-waterlogged-nightmare-102412234.html
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing coyoteandre's past experience in this thread: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20801&start=30, including several Bay crossings, it goes to show that, just like you need to wear your seat belt even for the shortest car trip, one should always carry VHF/PLB when windsurfing, even for seemingly short and uneventful sessions.

Andre, did you have such equipment on you and it failed, or were you counting on the park rangers to do their job and alert the coast guards? Also please tell us more, how did the FCPD find you out there? flares? shouts?

Definitely glad you're OK, I can't imagine going through this, especially in the dark!
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Go here
http://www.westmarine.com

2. search for "vhf radio"

3. buy it.

I'm a bit surprised that someone who has floated several hours and been rescued by the Coast Guard once does not yet own a VHF handheld. Now that you have done this TWICE, you should buy a VHF handheld radio. The next time you get in that van, it should be driven to West Marine and should not leave the parking lot until you have bought a VHF handheld radio.

did i mention you should buy a vhf handheld radio?

Glad you're alive, now go buy that vhf handheld radio.

7567019.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.92 KB
 Viewed:  23168 Time(s)

7567019.jpg

windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion is to always give a friend notice of when you expect to return home (or to shore). If not back with maybe an hour's slack, at least someone may start worrying, notifying, and/or looking. Many of us also pay attention to each other and would think twice prior to driving away from the "last van". However, that is trickier issue, especially for San Mateo where folks are basically out of sight. Then there was that guy in shorty who refused help and died after drifting all night across the Bay. Good reason for the buddy system at such venues.
andydavis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: NDT for carbon components Reply with quote

Could have been any of us...anyone know something about non destructive testing for carbon components. My masts look perfect, but how do you know for sure? Rolling Eyes
hemmy007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NDT for carbon components Reply with quote

andydavis wrote:
Could have been any of us...anyone know something about non destructive testing for carbon components. My masts look perfect, but how do you know for sure? Rolling Eyes

Yes, the best non-destructive testing for carbon components is your calendar.

When did you buy your last mast?
If the answer is more than 50 to 60 months,
get a new one.

Buy RDM and keep it in the BAG (out of heat and direct UV sunlight)...
do not drop or place on hard surface.

I take mine out of the sail and place directly in bag, without setting it down so I do not pick up any dirt or small rocks (that would then get in my mast bag). The smallest of nicks, when loaded up on a rigged sail, can be the breaking point.

I broke FIVE FSnap Tidal Waves Masts (2000) in one year (waves here and in HI and one jumping),

YET
have not broken ONE RDM (knock on wood) in the 125 months since.
I replace my masts about every 36 to 45 months, keep the old one in the garage as backups, that never get used.

Good, well maintained gear is the KEY to not breaking down.
Most all of the break downs I have seen at HERD AVE, Crissy, CP over the years have been b/c of crappy, old and poorly maintained gear.

I used to be a cave diving instructor, where any breakdown was VERY UNFORGIVING, so I am a bit anal about checking my gear carefully EVERY TIME before launching.
MrFish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we should make airplanes out of carbon.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing against Andre, though I can't help but think this is bad publicity for our sport.
We all know masts break so the least we can do is to carry a radio.
Why put yourself in harm's way when you can easily avoid it?

You never know when sh**t hits the fan. On monday I made real good use of my recently-purchased helmet: I hit the back of my head hard on the mast. Without the helmet I could have knock myself out. Worse: my board and sail got disconnected. I managed to put them back together and sailed back. I am glad I go the helmet. We can never be too cautious.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll say it: I think Andre is reckless.

This one was probably bad luck, but I wonder how old that mast was. From the photo it looked like an old SDM. The other newsworthy events claimed by Andre are not a matter of luck.

He went out at Coyote Point some years back against the advice of most of us coming in that the wind was dying and got rescued somewhere up at Candlestick. His equipment is very old and looks poorly mainted to my humble eye. He flirts death with his Bay Crossings on his 10-20 year old gear. He's no spring chicken himself - 70!

I've broken two masts mast on the bay (Aluminum back in the 80's) miles out at Coyote myself. I was in my mid 20's then. Once I got picked up by a boat - lucky. Once I pulled myself onto the beach at 10:30 p.m. just above the San Mateo Bridge. Now that I am older and wiser (and have more money) I keep my gear fresh. I still have not taken the plunge for a radio, but am thinking about it. I just hate the idea of that extra junk clunking around on my body when sailing. That wind up thingy the kiters wear hanging off their harness looks like a total drag - literally and figuratively!

Dude, either buy a radio, or some new gear, or both. What Hemmy said about RDM"s is spot on!
andydavis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: NDT for carbon components Reply with quote

hemmy007 wrote:
andydavis wrote:

Yes, the best non-destructive testing for carbon components is your calendar.

When did you buy your last mast?...

Buy RDM and keep it in the BAG (out of heat and direct UV sunlight)...
do not drop or place on hard surface. ...

Okay, I'm sure everyone here knows that failure in carbon epoxy laminates can occur suddenly in a macroscopically brittle mode by crack initiation. The crack may start at a notch or a ding from dropping the mast (or smacking a kid on the head, whatever); however, sometimes the failure appears to be spontaneous and caused by normal static loading. I have heard that the embrittlement comes from UV exposure and some kind of hygrothermal decay. So it makes sense that a mast should be discarded after a certain number of load cycles, or hours of UV exposure, but how many? Interestingly, the mast manufacturers don't publish any data or disclaimers about load cycles, or have a "sell by" date.

Clearly (given same method of manufacture and materials) an RDM is tougher (and heavier) than a SDM of the same stiffness, but what's your sage advice to some poor fool with a 490 or larger mast? If an SDM should be discarded every 50 months, then how long does an RDM last...51 months or 500? Also, does your advice to discard the SDM depend on the carbon content? Is a 100% carbon mast more durable than 30% carbon? Is there some optimal resin content for durability?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: