myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing trip turns into waterlogged nightmare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"50 to 60 months and replace it. "

Meanwhile 75% of the market goes to the swap and buys that used mast for $50 and then proceeds to sail to the middle of the bay.

Hit repeat button.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Andre for still hitting it at age 70! I am glad he survived the ordeal. They say to become old and wise you must first be young and stupid..so Andre seeing as you are 70 and have broken down before, what's your excuse??

A helmet, PFD, and marine radio are good things to have for bay area sailing. Since I have none of these I try not to sail any further out than I can paddle back in whether its at Leo or Coyote Pt.
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
I still have not taken the plunge for a radio, but am thinking about it. I just hate the idea of that extra junk clunking around on my body when sailing.

A DaKine Solo pouch on the side of your harness is discreet, you completely forget about it. However it holds nicely:
- your waterproof wallet (with ID, insurance card and some cash for a cab)
- your car keys
- a few feet of line and a knife
- a smaller VHF radio or a PLB

I chose to go with a PLB (http://www.rei.com/product/791972?preferredSku=7919720016&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7919720016&mr:trackingCode=E16B67C3-3A88-DE11-B4D4-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA) for the following reasons:
- no need to recharge it, batteries good for 5 years. I just rinse it and pat it dry after each session.
- test mode to check everyonce in a while that batteries are fine
- one button operation sends your precise GPS coordinates to search and rescue and start emitting a homing signal for the CG to zoom in on you. I figure such a simple mode of operation is adequate for someone with a broken limb separated from his rig and trying to keep his head above water in 55F voodoo chop miles from the coast
- Search and Rescue has your contact info (you've registered online with NOAA, it's free with no subscription) and can notify your emergency contact
- integrated strobe light if shit happens a dawn or in fog
- it's tiny and light compared to a marine radio

But: might not be the cheapest option although if you get it on a 20% discount day at REI, I find it an acceptable price for peace of mind. If used once, needs to be send to manufacturer for battery replacement and re-sealing. It does not have some of the obvious bi-directional communication advantages of a marine radio (which allows you for example to describe an injury.

Great little piece of technology, I hope I never have to use it!
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend, Hunt Hyde, who carries a radio and recently went from a harness back to backpack (small camel type) for the radio. Apparently, the crashes were tearing apart the radios. Now w/ backpack, he is not having an issue. However, I do not want to wear a backpack to sail.

The unit you are using is different than most I have seen mentioned. Looks hassel free and rugid. Does it float? Any issues with crashes?
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked around a little bit more on the link you provided and found this on the customer reviews:

Waterproofness: I contacted the manufacturer in England about this subject, here's their reply: "Water proof rating,(submersion)We consider two test criteria, 10m (30ft) for 5 minutes.And also a 1m (3ft) for 1 hour.And our experience tells us that surface type water effects (splashingaround / rain )don't present any issue be it for one hour or eventhroughout the full 24 hour minimum run time of the beacon.A PLB is not designed to operate when floating in the water. It isrequired to raise the body of the PLB to keep the antenna clear of anywave wash and pointing to the greater sky area. Typically placing thePLB high up on the front of a PFD meets this criteria and attaching inusing a short cord is a good idea to prevent loss." [@], June 2009)

Not too sure its going to work for our purposes.
vtm81

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Coyote Reply with quote

I sail at Coyote and see many of people heading straight out into the bay solo until they are no longer visible from shore.

Am I missing some mast high wave riding in the middle of the bay or are there some really cute mermaids hanging out on a rock? Rolling Eyes
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good stuff is out there. No mast high waves, but the swells do get bigger and the wind stronger. The channel at Third is a mile out. The area between the smiling yellow buoy and the little white one farther out at Coyote is probably a mile. Haven't found any mermaids yet:), but worth looking for.
bludyell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre, please heed the advice given and avoid us having to have a goodbye party for a fellow sailor!
Or are you looking for a really dramatic adventure?
justingordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Waterproof Cell Phones? Reply with quote

I'm in Maui, and sometimes SUP, kite, or windsurf by myself and I carry a Verizon Casio GzOne Rock in my surf trunks pocket with no waterproofing. The only issues with it are:
* Pretty simple phone (not a "smart" phone)
* Hard to hear ringing when wet (as if you'd even want to answer)
* Sinks, so I leave a string stuck to it to clip to my key loop in my shorts.

It's probably a good idea to pay the extra money for insurance if you take it in the water a lot.

From what I've seen, it's smaller than most VHF radios, and the new one from Verizon really makes a nice phone. It even tells you the tides, sunrise/sunset, has a compass, and flashlight.

Aloha,

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
After seeing coyoteandre's past experience in this thread: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20801&start=30, including several Bay crossings, it goes to show that, just like you need to wear your seat belt even for the shortest car trip, one should always carry VHF/PLB when windsurfing, even for seemingly short and uneventful sessions.

Andre, did you have such equipment on you and it failed, or were you counting on the park rangers to do their job and alert the coast guards? Also please tell us more, how did the FCPD find you out there? flares? shouts?

Definitely glad you're OK, I can't imagine going through this, especially in the dark!

Based on this article and his posts in the other thread, I have to conclude that this Andre guy is a kook. He posted way too many pictures of himself in that other thread as if to prove how 'core he is, and yet, attempts to do bay crossings and go way out sans radio or buddy. Seems to be lacking common sense for his 70 years. Plus, his equipment looks really ancient.

Agreed that the rangers at Coyote shoulda noticed the vehicle though. Unfortunately, the vehicle thing happens on a regular basis (dude at Oyster Point, Jay Runge at San Mateo bridge, etc...). Don't the authorities know this by now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: